Mitrazapine causing insomnia . Help needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI , i am having such bad insomnia. i have reduced my MITRAZAPINE from 45 to 30 mg,

i think it is making me hyperactive at night time . i wonder wether taking it in the morning might be the answer to this is there any uk based medical proof that this can be an effect.

I am due to see a psyciatrist on TUESDAY and would like to be properly informed of this fact.

thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Linda.

mirtazapine is more energising at higher doses. You could try to take it in the morning or maybe split the dose and take 15mg am and 15mg at night, but i would only do this if 15mg doesn't make you drowsy. For me 15mg had no sedative effect at all but I know for most people it usually sedates them. If you split the full dose of 45mg and take 22.5mg am and pm, that may have a better effect. Hope you get some sleep soon!

• Posted

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. i am trying taking 15 mg at about 8pm and the other dose at about 12. last night it seemed to help a bit. i am thoughtful about taking it during the day incase it makes me too drowsy. These meds are horrible, my stomoch is so painful at the moment and i dont know if its anxiety or not i think its IBS but so confusing.

• Posted

hi Linda

having exactly the same problem with my stomach. How long have you been suffering with that as my doctor said as a side effect it should wear off. I wont be able to continue with this drug if it is an ongoing issue - as its added to my anxiety. So pointless.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Emily, my stomach issues have been ongoing for about six months.

i have had reduced appetite and then stopped sleeping. it has been a nightmare, i have recently seen another doctor that has prescribed diazepam and i feel so much better. my stomach issues didn't get better with time, as the dr's may say. i have started drinking peppermint tea which seems to be helping with gas and bloating. i do find that when i lower a dose it takes about six weeks to stabalise again.

i hope you feel better soon, what dose ate you on ?

• Posted

Hi. After a small battle with my doctor, and a horrific experience with dulcolax (i lost 3 pounds in 1 day,i kid you not) - im taking psyllium supplements. I hope in the next few days this relieves the constipation, naturally. Right now i look about 8 months pregnant. Sadly if this doesnt work the doctor has said i will have to come off it. i dont want a constant journey of trying different drugs! Im on 22.5 mg. Possibly reducing to 15 to help with sleep, but im still getting very anxious. Hope something works soon ish? Thank you

• Posted

oh EMILY i am so sad for you, i dont think Doctors have enough knowledge about different drugs. Do you have a good herbal/nutritianist you could speak to, they can sometimes make tinctures to help. x

• Posted

Hi Linda in my experience higher doses of Mirtazapine disrupt sleep. I told my doctor this but he says he cannot prescribe 15mg solely for sleep. He says 30mg is better for depression. But I said it was not sleeping that was the cause of my depression not the other way round! So what I do is carefully cut the 30mg pills in half with a razor blade & take one half a night. It can be a bit tricky getting a clean even dosage but I'm a lot better now at cutting the pills than I was. Been doing this now for 18 months so over time as you can imagine I end up with loads of pills left over. 28 tablets lasts me 56 days. I reckon I've got well over a years worth of Mirtazapine packets in my cupboard, not counted them for a while though. But my doctor was insistent to keep prescribing the 30mg. So it's not my problem. But yes in my experience lower doses better for sleep.

• Posted

HI liam, my doctors wont believe me when i say they are stimulating, i think that i agree with you that you make your own regime with the tablets and f it works for you then you just do it. i have come down from 45mg back in MARCH and w.d have been horrendous, i am on an alternating dose of 30/33.75 and trying to come down to 30 mg each night. but finding even 3.75 drop is having an effect on me.

The doctor i am now seeing had added diazepam before bed which has helped enormously as insomnia was horrendous. i hope you continue to sleep, and if you start to suffer again with depression you can add a bit more tablet. WIN WIN .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.