Mitrazapine how long til it kicks in?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I eventually realised after years of battling with low mood to go on mood stabilisers I chose Mitrazapine iin part for assistance in helping sleep as I dont sleeo too well. So I started taking 15mg on 20th December wanted to allow Christmas time as a time to allow myself to get used to then without them interupting my job. Anyway my mood evened a bit and I wasnt sleeping after a talk with my GP who said if I wasnt sleeping then they werent working I went up to 30mg. I tried 22.5 for  a week but when the7 15mg ran out I went up to 30 which I have been on now for a few weeks, But the last few days I have felt really low trigerred by an event that is a trigger (ill health and not getting to the gym and losing bulk, as I get depressed due to body issues) These last two days I have felt suicidal and really low. How long do they take to kick in?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It say two to weeks they said but everybody not the same I have been on for 6 days and I my the same but I was on propranolol as well to keep me calm but I have add to stop taking it because I was getting lots of chest pain so it's my first day off them so it's very hard for me at this time

• Posted

They normally work very quickly; much more quickly than other ADs. I noticed a real difference within days, although my sleeping didn't really improve until I had been on them a couple of months at 30mg, but my mood was much better within days. I think you either need to try a different one or increase your dose. If I'm honest though, if you have body image issues, then mirt makes most people put on quite a bit of weight (fat not muscle) and I would therefore avoid it. I'm off the mirt now and have lost all the weight again, but looking back at some photographs of me when I was on it, I looked really tubby. That's not me at all. I have always been slim except when on mirtazapine.

• Posted

I take cymbalta with mirtazapine and I feel the cymbalta works better for the depression and the mirtazpine works better for sleeping and just calming me down. So I take 15 mg mirtaz in morning and 30mg mirtaz at night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.