Mitrazapine withdrawl ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all , my gp stopped my mirtazapine 2 weeks ago without tappering(I was on it for over 3 months) and put me on fluoxetine 10mg for 7 days and after that increased it to 20mg , since stopping mirtazapine I feel constant nasuea , but yesterday on day 13th without mirtazapine and day 12th of fluoxetine Ive been sick , woke up with extreme anxiety and sickness , tremors, cant keep anything down , went to see gp to ask if its side effects of fluoxetine or withdrawl from mirtazapine .he said its neither that is my condition 😳 ive told him I know my body and I know when something is wrong but he just thought I was being drama queen and he wasnt supportive . Prescribed me antisickness tablets and sick note for work. I was on mirtzapine for anxiety but noticed it was making me a diffirent person and I felt numb and more depressed . So now I dont know whats happening , is it fluoxetine or withdrawl or both 🤢

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It could be either or both of them as I tried fluoxetine before and I couldn't tolerate it and coming off mirtazapine can cause these issues also. It's hard to tell which one it is because everyone reacts so differently unfortunately. Best of luck and I hope the nausea goes away soon!

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply , I was on fluoxetine before for 7 years and never had such a bad side effects . It just comes in waves , one day im fine and then snap and im feeling awful. Hopefully it will pass soon cause its awful. Today im feeling a little bit better, but then I live in fear that this horrible nasuea and anxiety will strike again😑

• Posted

In my opinion it's Mirt withdrawal. I have awful bouts of sickness and no appetite from withdrawal of this med.

you are not a drama queen at all, I've felt all these things and they're awful, and like you say, you know your body!

I came off Mirt for the same reasons, made me a different person, a very snappy one!

Good luck and hope you feel better soon 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your reply , I dont know what I would do without this forum. Doctors are not supportive and I really thought something bad was happening with me. How long did your withdrawl last ? And is there anything I can do to make them less horrible ? Yesterday I had such a bad anxiety that my whole body felt like on fire and couldnt concentrate on anything , had bad nightmares and felt like I was going mad . Not gonna mention horrible sweats . Usually I can manage my anxiety but that wasnt normal for me and its so sad that my GP isnt supportive 🤕

• Posted

I'm still in early stages of withdrawal. And I agree, doctors can be clueless, you are not alone!!

I went down to 1.87mg then stopped, doctor said 1.87mg wouldn't have been doing anything anyway, really?? Well I can tell you doc, it did!

I think it's just a case of being really strong and not letting it get the better of you (stupid thing to say I know!) sickness pills will help, keep them up.

Try and stay active and busy, and drink tons of water to flush things through. Also, even if you feel sick, have a biscuit. If I struggle I drink water with it to help it go down, but getting some food in really will help.

Here for you 😊

• Posted

And try and remember, nothing bad will happen. It's withdrawal, it's horrible but it can't hurt you. Talk to people, I find that helps me x

• Posted

Thats the thing I dont drink enough as it makes me feel sick but I will start forcing things in to me . My hubby is really supportive and keeps telling me the same. Ive got iron deficiency as well and that doesnt help. Week ago I had iron infusion as I dont tolerate iron tablets or liquid but had reverse reaction to infusion. Its never ending story , cant eat and without food I will never get better I know. Hubby made me some chicken soup , I shall try this and will drink plenty of fluids and try to rest. Im back to work next friday so hopefully by then Im gonna feel better. Thank you 😚

• Posted

And I know it might sound horrible but Im glad Im not the only one going thru this. It feels good to talk to people about it and support each other💖

• Posted

Try with the anti sickness pills. I have a terrible time eating sometimes, and they at least stop me from retching (sorry to be gross!)

You've had such a tough time bless you. Podcasts can help, reading a book, audio books. And sometimes if I feel really terrible I have a shower, sounds bizarre but it can helps, and I'm willing to pass on any idea to you to help you through it.

I was on Prozac but didn't get on with it as it made me really sick. This could be another side effect for you, I'm assured this does calm down though!

And always remember if it's not working for you go back to the gp, ask to see a different one maybe? I asked friends and they advised me one which was much more sensitive about mental health issues.

Keep going, you absolutely can do it!! Little and often food will make the world of difference to you x

• Posted

And not horrid at all, I've come to this forum many times just to see if anyone else knows what I'm going through, it's perfectly normal to find comfort in people understanding x

• Posted

Aww thank you , I will take any advice given, just want to feel normal again. Had some chicken soup and so far so good Im okay , just sat with hot water bottle on my tummy. It really helps sometimes. I really hope fluoxetine helps me as I was on it before and im dreading changing pills again. Just past few months were horrible. Had loads of stress in my life and thats what caused me anxiety this bad. Always had it but it was managable, I was taking fluoxetine before for OCD. I wish I could take those antisickness tablets for work but they knock me off my feet lol they called Prochlorepazine 5mg and Gp has prescribed only 14 of them 😐so need to really use them when I need to. Ive got some cyklizine but they do nowt for me. Might go and see diffirent Gp and ask to prescribe me more of prochlorepazine ? thank you for your advices😚 hope you are gonna feel better soon as well xx

• Posted

Those are the same anti sickness pills I have, you're right, they do make you sleepy!! But my anxiety gets so bad, I sometimes don't mind. Looking after two kids means I can't take them the time either though.

I get the hot water thing, it's any form of comfort for me when my anxiety is bad. If that helps you then you go for it!

I have health anxiety, have had it 27 years, didn't have it for ages but my ears are my

Trigger and I've had problems with them lately, hence not doing too well.

Hope you feel better soon. I long to feel normal! xx

• Posted

Awww bless you , 27 years its a long time to suffer with anxiety 😯are you on any new antidepressants ? I took your advice and took hot shower and helped my hubby changed bedding , nearly fainted , started feeling dizzy and hot and got stupid tremors and shakes, nasuea came back , had to take some benzos to settle. My head felt like there was banging heart in it and itrusive thoughts kept rushing thru my head again with waves of stress grrrrr always feeling bad on the night and in the morning . How are you feeling now ? Did hot water bottle help you ? Hugs xxx

• Posted

Oh you poor thing, I'm exactly the same. Anxiety is crippling at morning times and before bed, and wakes me up, so sorry I'm hoping emails don't wake you via your phone.

I'm not on any antidepressants at the moment, I've tried a few and they all make me feel awful and that triggers off my health anxiety, blooming viscious circle!

I'm so pleased your husband supports you, and changes the sheets 😉

I'm a single mum, I have a fab chap but he lives in Scotland and I'm in Oxford, so we have limited time together (at the moment)

I fell asleep in my daughter's bed with her, so didn't get round to the hot water bottle, I will definitely try it though, I managed to find it under a pile of toys!

I don't know why the shower thing works, but I'm glad it helped you too! Another thing I do when anxiety spikes is just stand in the garden for a little while, seems to help with a foggy head...

Hope you get some sleep xx

• Posted

Morning ?yes I got some sleep , hope you did too x woke up naseus again and with banging heart. Never felt like this before , before all this anxiety. I january I was the happiest person on the earth . Makes you wonder what stress can do to you . And since then I even had one panic attack lasted over 30mins , and now im scared I might get another one again. Never used to be like this , always been strong and bubbly and social , now I just want to be at home. Ah well , hopefully it will pass , have to stay positive xxx nooo your emails dont wake me up ?you must have been tired falling asleep in your daughters bed 😘today I cant sit with hot water bottle , it makes nasuea worse. I just lay on my belly , it helps me sometimes to calm down. Awwww I bet you miss your bloke , hope you get to see him soon x when we first came to UK we lived in Chipping Norton and I did my first shopping in Oxford ??how are you feeling today ? Sorry to write such a long essays lol once I start writing there is nothing to stop me. Ive spent some time sat in the garden when I needed fresh air. Im just sick of feeling like this , always feeling sick , no energy, with rushing thougts , and without will to do anything xxxx

• Posted

Write away, I enjoy hearing from you 😊

That's so weird, I was fine up until February, them smack!! Hit me like a brick! I'm like you, so tired of feeling this way and desperate to just enjoy things again and feel blooming normal! I hate the racing thoughts part too, my brain never stops, and if it does, I then worry that I'm not thinking!! Anxiety sucks!

I know chipping norton, used to watch rugby there 😊

God yeah I miss my chap so much!!!!

I'm so glad you have a supportive husband, makes the world of difference.

Hope being out in the fresh air helped, sometimes it just helps my brain to stop rushing quite as much (quite!!!)

Xxx

• Posted

Hiya , I like hearing from you as well and yes I feel the same when my thoughts running thru my head I feel like I cant think and that im going crazy , cause im overthinking anything now and so sensitive over movies ,over what people think about me, anxious about going back to work next week , just name it when before I didnt care and was good with stressful situations. Funny thing anxiety ..... not . How are you feeling today ? Xxx
    • Posted

Same here! I would have done anything this time last year, not a care in the world, now I'm like this! Anxiety is hilarious eh? Not!!! At least we understand each other 😊

I get like that about films and programmes too, struggle to sit down to watch one, it's so annoying!!!! I used to love sitting down to a good film.

I'm full of cold, so health anxiety is really high today!! Travelling to Scotland to see my chap with my daughters tomorrow, just wish I could look forward to it, instead of anxiety making me blooming terrified!!

Agree with you, have to stay positive, one shot at this life!

You doing okay? Xxx

• Posted

Awww bless you , sending hugs and hopefully you will feel better by tomorrow so you can enjoy the trip 😘 My anxiety hit the roof as I just got letter for appointments for Gastroskopy and colonoskopy and Im terrified of colonoskopy , even with concious sedation. Obviously read too much on internet and people talk about it being painful even with sedation. And I have both of them procedures same day as well😣🤕 Its all I can think off now ...

• Posted

I've had a colonoscopy. It's not that bad at all! It feels weird, but the worst part is that they fill you with air so they can see everything. It feels like a bad case of trapped wind. So please have a way of getting home!!! I was sat in the waiting room for my ex hubby, uncontrollably farting (for want of a better word) haha! Do you have to drink the solution before you have it? Happy to talk you through any thing I can help you with 😊

The sedation will help, you'll feel a bit weird, but out of it enough for it not to make you panic. When you come round you'll just be very sleepy.

If to do it all in one day is too much for you, explain your situation and see if they'll help you by not having to have it at the same time, some times people can be pretty good.

Here for you xx

• Posted

Aww thank you , talking to you really helps me and makes me feel better. I had gastroskopy before with sedation so this one I know but always been scared of colonoskopy . Hahha well I bet my hubby is going to love me farting in car on our way back haha he said he will put pad on me just in case 🤣dingbat. Id rather have it done in one day than getting ready twice. Yeah they sent me some tablets and solution. Things like that always make me bloated and I never make me go to toilet so hopefully this works hah dont want to have accident during do I 😁🤣💩

• Posted

One thing I'll tell you is that you definitely WILL go to toilet, in fact, be prepared to spend a bit of time on it Haha.

Hahaha I didn't have an accident (a pad might have been handy though 😂wink but it lasted all day! Get some peppermint oil if you can, dilute it in water, it helps massively.

It's an uncomfortable feeling, but by the next day it won't bother you 😊

Xx

• Posted

Hahaha that made me giggle lol im just scared of pain and that is unpleseant. I was close to cancelling appointment but my hubby insists I must go so I do it for him , so he wont worry. Bless him. On my own tonight as he is on nights and im home. Started getting really weird tingly feeling in my stomach , like butterflies and all over the body as well . Feels like stress and being excited at the same time .Not very nice feeling , havent had it before. Did you expierience similar symptoms ? Xxx
    • Posted

Sorry, been travelling all day! Exhausted from panic attacks, anxiety is rubbish!!!

I've definitely had those feelings before, in my experience it was adrenaline and used to go off later in the day, how are you feeling now?

Xxx

• Posted

Hello ?I was message you this morning to ask how you doing then I remembered you were travelling. Aww were you that excited to see your chap or just anxiety? Anxiety is s**t 😎we will get thru this x I was actually okay during the day , some odd heartbits, palpitations , and knot in stomach, nasuea but had 2 scrumble eggs. Hour ago I started feeling really anxious and started having irrational thoughts so had to take lorazepam. And now im stressing cause Ive got 1 tablet left and lorazepam works faster. Got plenty of diazepam tho just in case but apparently there is intereaction with fluoxetine when taken together not serious just changes metabolism of fluoxetine something like that so Im stressing about taking it too hahaha madness i actually started laughing out loud at myself lol

• Posted

I've been that crazy with anxiety I've talked to myself and been like, what are you doing woman?!!!!!!!

Travelling makes me have panic attacks, the altitude blocks my ears and it terrifies me. That's my trigger!!

Sorry can't talk much, can you geg more Lorazepam?? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty , how are you doing today ? Im a little bit better today , ups and downs , one moment I feel fine and then Im numb , fed up and stressedsad ah well cant change it can I just need to wait . I can get some more but would get it in 2 weeks as my mum sends me it from my doctor in Poland(I still keep my gp in Poland after 9 years lol ) I feel be fine , dont wanna get addicted to it , Ive already been taking it for 3 weeks so its time to stop. And Gp in uk is not going to prescribe it. Got plenty of diazepam so I will be using it when needed , good to have something just in case , gives my mind a rest.Dont worry I do talk to myself lol I hope you are having great time in Scotland 🤗😘

• Posted

Oh I talk to myself all the time, all the best people do haha!

I think your ups and downs could be you getting used to the Prozac (fluoxetine) in your system, when I was taking it, it used to make my heart race, like I was high! And honestly felt so sick on it that I felt pregnant! I know that Prozac takes a while to kick in, so stick at it. It does work for so many people, but also remember if it's too much, you can go back to the doctors and try something else, there's a safety net there, never feel you're stuck 😊

I had many panic attacks about the pressure in my ears getting to Scotland, but now we're here!!! Could never have done that a few months ago, so that's progress! Love it here so much, and the kids are in their element. We won't want to come home!

Hope you're having a better start to your day?

Here for you xxx

• Posted

Im sooo happy that you are having brilliant time and feeling better. Such a good new 😗😗 im not so well again , mentally im fine but got really bad stomach and tremors and sweats. Had to cancel my therapy cause cant get out of bed grrrrrrr really sick of felling like this. If it wasnt for stomach id be able to do something , so strange ...

• Posted

Hi! I know how you're feeling, I've had days just like that, it's horrid! I always think it's linked to a med change and usually within 24hrs (ish) it seems to have eased somewhat? Those 24hrs can be like hell through!!

Tremors are part of my anxiety too though, my legs just shake uncontrollably, it's so frustrating!!!

How are you feeling now? Did it all calm down a bit?

Xx

• Posted

Morning Karen , how are you today? Did you get any sleep ? I woke up at 5am and couldnt go back to sleep cause of bad tummy. It really hurts. Nasuea is still here. I get tremors on a night time but I know its a side effect of both fluoxetine amd withdrawl from mirtazapine. Today it would be okay if it wasnt for this bad stomach. I know with bad anxiety every day just drags and Im happy when day comes to an end.xxx
    • Posted

Sorry i called you Karen lol it both names on K lol potato potato 🤣💩sorry

• Posted

Hi! Haha, Karen is close enough 😂

Sorry I'm only getting back to you now, haven't had chance to check my phone much.

How are you feeling now? You're doing really well with battling through, I know how horrid it is!!! What day Prozac are you on now?

We're travelling home today so I'm in major panic mode, I hate anxiety!!!! I used to enjoy travelling!

Xxx

• Posted

Hiya 😘its okay , I know you are away. Hope you had a lovely time. Everything is going to be okay. You can do this😙 it meant to be my day 19 on prozac but I went to see gp and she changed me back to mirtazapine from sunday. I just cant take it anymore on prozac and she said I shouldnt feel like. So Im a little bit more optymistic. Havent slept last night , kept waking up with nasuea and stress.And bloody hell my dreams....

• Posted

I was exactly the same with Prozac, it made me so sick, I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and was being physically sick throughout the day on it. I think you're like me and it's just something your body can't cope with.

The dreams on mirtazapine are something else aren't they!! It did make me sleep like a baby though, which was a plus. What dosage are you on? 

Luckily soon after I stopped taking Prozac all the horrid sickness and tummy pains went away quickly!

How are you doing today? 

My chap is on his way back to Scotland now, so my anxiety is really high today xxx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty ☺ I start mirtazapine 15mg on sunday but im still debating taking it at all. Want to give it a try without meds. Tbh this nasuea is still here but not so bad as it was on prozac. Just soooo tired. Im tired but cant sleep. Aww bless you, I bet you miss him very much. Are you seeing him often? How are you feeling ? Xx
    • Posted

I hate that feeling, I get so exhausted but my anxiety doesn't let me sleep, it's awful isn't it! 

Mirt will definitely help you sleep, but I know where you're coming from, I hated relying on it, but saying that, when I was at my very worst, it was a life saver! See how you feel and if you really struggle, you could try it again? 

I've been horridly anxious all day! I miss him so much! We try and see each other once a month, but it can be difficult with work and childcare arrangements, but he always puts in so much effort for me, I'm so lucky! 

I'm an overthinker, brain never seems to switch off! Are you like that at all? 

Xxx

• Posted

Lately is all I do. Think think and think. I cant switch off. Feeling anxious cause I know there is bed time soon and Im scared I will have another bad night x
    • Posted

Just like me. Do you have any of the sickness pills yet? That can help to take the edge off of anxiety and may help you to sleep better. 

Sometime if I'm really bad I have a couple of glasses of wine, not the best thing I guess but it can help xx 

• Posted

Ive got 3 kinds of diffirent antisickness tablets. They dont work at all. Grrrrr
    • Posted

Morning😙how are you feeling today? I had 4hrs last night, kept waking up but it wasnt as bad as night before. Woke up at 3am and again at 5am so decided to get up. Dont feel as sick as I felt on fluoxetine. Slight discomfort is still there but I can manage. Anxiety still here but again I can cope with it. Roll on sunday and mirtazapine again 😎

• Posted

I'm glad you don't feel as sick, that's a positive! 

My anxiety is really high, keep thinking about going back on Mirt, but have done nearly three weeks without now and don't want to take a step back. I've got a doctors appointment on August 17th so am going to talk it through then, hopefully!

I always wonder how long these meds take to exit your system... xx 

• Posted

Aww bless you. Ive been off mirtazapine for 3 weeks now. Mirtazapine leaves your system much quicker than ssri. Its got short half life. I know what you mean about taking step back but then Ive thought maybe I wasnt ready to come off it, maybe I should give it another try. I wonder if im going to suffer such a bad side effects when I first took it. Was so drowsy and had flu like symptoms for over a week. But it started working queit quick.
    • Posted

I've been thinking was I ready to come off it too. I'm not sure if my anxiety is still high or if it's withdrawal still? What do you think? Just like to know your thoughts. 

Mirt worked really quickly for me too. Nothing could have felt as bad as the Prozac did! I'm going to see about having CBT again, I can't afford it privately and I don't think over the phone is enough for me. 

Have you had CBT? X

• Posted

I think its still mirtazapine although Im feeling much better today, my mind is clear and im in good mood. Anxiety is still there but I can manage it. I even put some make up on and played with my doggie in the garden. Been fooling around with my hubby and ate. Yes I had cbt but it didnt do much for me as my therapists were shite. I think we would benefit more from high level of counseling. I cant afford to go private. It costs a bloody fortune😑

• Posted

Yay its working 😎Oh god yes , mornings are the worst. And night time. Thats when I get extreme anxiety. I got obssesed with my thoughts and they making me feel ill. They bring this wave of anxiety, physical symptoms, make me sick to my stomach. I knkw they irrational but I cant bloody stop thinking about them. If im feeling happy I keep checking my thoughts and if they still making me anxious. Dont know why sometimes they dont and sometimes they do. Horrible. I wish I was the same as I was few months ago. Where nothing bothered me and life was beautiful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.