Mixed Connective Tissue Diease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone! I looked on the discussions and didn't see anything related to what I have been going through so I was hoping there is someone out there that can relate. Forgive me for it taking so long to explain. 

In January of 2017, I had a major surgery on my left foot/ankle. It did not heal so in late October 2017, I had a complete ankle fusion. I was told that if I didn't have this surgery the screw holding my heel bone together would eventually weaken and probably break. Between these surgeries, I developed complex regional pain syndrome, and a fibroma attached to my plantar fascia tendon and had severe pain and nothing I did helped. I spent 1/4 of last year non-weight bearing and was miserable. I have damaged my knee due to the weight gain and all the stress from not being able to bear weight on it. So 8 weeks ago I had surgery on my knee to scrape arthritis and to repair 2 tendons. I was told that we needed to get my knee strong enough for my next surgery/surgeries since the fusion still hasn't healed and they need to remove the fibroma. Again, same issue, I have not healed and the pain is agonizing. I have now, after fighting it for over a year, gone to pain management. I am having a nerve block in a couple more weeks to help my foot but they aren't doing anything for my knee. 

I have started to think I was crazy so I asked my doctor to run a bunch of tests and have now been diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease. My surgeon said this will cause me to heal 4-5 times slower than the normal person and it is the cause of all of the problems I have developed. I am waiting for a rheumatologist to set up an appointment. 

How are all of you dealing with the fatigue and pain? It is all I can do is to go to work and go home to bed. My poor husband has been so patient but I am so frustrated because I like to be busy and have been dealing with this foot issue for 2 years now. I'm tired of hurting all the time, I have now been put on anxiety meds and anti-depressants along with other meds. I am also frustrated with doctors thinking I just want pain meds. Two years ago I didn't take any medication. I have also been doing accupunture, massage therapy, physical therapy and floating. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi my situation is not nearly as bad but I have a connective tissue disorder and had huge pain in my feet. I have a plantar fibroma too but not one which needs to be removed. But I found hydroxychloroquine has helped the pain massively. I wonder if you may benefit from something like that. It is used in arthritis as well as other disorders. I am currently pain free I have been using this medication for 6 months and it worked very quickly. Sympathy for all you are going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.