Mixed consistency stool

Edited , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I have suffered from ibs-c since I was very young but after changing my diet (increasing fiber, minimizing dairy, drinking more water) I started passing stool regularly with normal consistency.

However, since a few months ago, whenever I pass stool, the beginning is always small hard pebbles but is then followed by normal soft stool.

I dont have any other symptoms and can usually pass stool daily.

Does anyone know what such stool with mixed consistency is called? Should I be worried or is it likely just IBS?

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi sa, hmm i would check this out. Maybe it is a concern maybe not? Let us know how you get on!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your are describing normal IBS symptoms. Some people experience two different coloured stools or two different consistencies of stool at the same time with their IBS. Your own definition of this symptom describes what you are experiencing perfectly. Remember, everyone experiences and categorizes their IBS differently and IBS can change over time. No one person is the same with their IBS. I would not worry at all about your symptoms because worry makes IBS far worse. Try to stay as calm as possible because being relaxed will help to control your IBS.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the reassurance! Whenever reading about it, IBS-mixed seems to always only mention having constipation for some days followed by days of diarrhea, not having it both in one stool. But it does seem like ibs! Much less worried now:)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I totally agree with Pippa!

I experience the same as you from time to time - for me it is just part of my IBS.

I have periods with soft, normal stools, periods with loose stools, periods with harder stools and periods with mixed consistence.

Try not to worry!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is very common with ibs-c. The hard first bits are like that because they have been sitting around for longer so have become drier. The softer part is stool that have moved a long more normally. Nothing to worry about.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

can i jump in and ask if anyone suffers floating stools too with this ?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey, I have the same problem. Anyone figured what it's about?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up