Mixed-matched lab results and no input from doctor. ASking for help.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've gotten a grab bag of lab results in my journey so far, and my primary care doctor has not called me back to go over my labs, which is causing intense anxiety. I'm hoping some of you may have some advice to get me through until I have an appointment.

I was a heavy drinker for many, many years. I noticed I was getting fat and some abdominal bloating, but I assumed that was all due to the weight gain. I've also been itchy, which I assumed is because I moved to a new climate. Well, in February I went to the gynecologist, and she randomly ordered a liver function test and some general lab work. My ALT is the only liver enzyme that is high, at 69, but my cholesterol levels are high and my triglycerides are REAL high at 444. I've had a ultrasound, which showed an enlarged liver at 13 cm. It’s also fatty, and has an enlarged primary bile duct. On the gallbladder end, I have an enlarged duct and the organ is "fully dissented." No gallstones or bile though.

Immediately quit drinking, and picked up a healthy diet. I started taking milk thistle, Vitamin B supplements, probiotics, turmeric, and a daily multivitamin. I lost 15 pounds. After a week, I felt much, much better. But, after the ultrasound things took a turn. I have a lot of general pain in my abdomen. It started on the right side below my ribs, and there was some pain on the left side as well. I feel pressure in my abdomen. Wearing stretchy leggings even causes discomfort, which is alarming. Now, my upper mid-abdomen also hurts and there is pain in my lower center back. My kidneys looked normal on the ultrasound, so I’m hoping this is from the effort to sit up straight to take pressure off my organs.

I’ve lost appetite, and am basically eating because I know I need to, but I’m constantly nauseous. Eating small meals is better than nothing, but it takes real effort, and my gag reflex wants to bring the food back up.

The other big concern has to do with my menstrual cycle. I’m on long-term birth control, so I have not had a period in about two years. Since all this started, I have had two periods in one month. My gynecologist says that the birth control itself doesn’t cause liver problems, but having liver issues and being on birth control can increase my odds for stroke. Also, apparently the liver regulates bleeding. Terrifying.

I wish my primary doctor would call me back, but in lieu of that, have any of you experienced these things? I think the sonogram would show cirrhosis, but I’m not sure how concerned I should be or how treatable any of this is. Can an enlarged liver return to a normal size after following a sustained healthy diet? And how do we fix the bile duct issues?

Any input would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this. when i first began my liver issues my liver team immediately took my off of birth control and told me I can no longer use them. sure enough I looked at the paperwork that comes with pills and in tiny print there is a warning regarding liver issues, specifically a hemangioma, which I had one the size of a grapefruit. i ended up with a 3/4 liver resection in 2004. two years ago i was diagnosed with Budd Chiari and was fighting for my life. You need to be your own advocate and often times a squeaky wheel. if you have pain and additional symptoms keep calling to get into your doctor asap. One of my symptoms was sore to the touch belly. turns out both my liver and spleen were very enlarged.

• Posted

That sounds awful. I had to Google the resection surgery, and it looks painful and frightening. I'm sorry you had to go through that. How are you doing now?

And, how do you deal with the constant not knowing? My doctors are super unconcerned about me because my labs aren't that bad, but with these new pains, I'm in a new place of terror everyday. I know you're supposed to take it day-by-day, but I can't help but think I feel not right, and getting worse. Or that there is something I'm not doing that I should, or doing too well. Losing weight, for example. The doctors say to slim down, but losing too much is a bad sign that things are worse than you thought, and if you lose it too fast, it can cause other issues.

Does the physical pain go away, or is this going to be a constant from here out? And, how do you deal with the emotional uncertainty of it all? Do you just go through your stages of grief and find a new norm?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.