mixed results on old test. tired, complexion is weird orange

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey there, had an iron test done 9 years ago.  results:

133 serum ferritin

344 tbic

180 uibc

164 serum iron (just slightly outside reference range)

48% iron saturation

I had a flinstone vitamin 2 days before the test.  It had iron in it, just whatever is 100%DV for kids I guess.  seems worth mentioning.

Very tired lately, face is tinged an odd orange hue.  I keep checking my eyes, bloodshot but not yellow.  Had a regular bloodwork done 6 months ago when the hue was less pronounced and bilirubin was not elevated so I doubt its jaundice.  However, my liver enzymes were very modestly high.

I thought maybe the orange/yellow stuff (which is mild, but some folks at work tell me I look a bit sick, tho they can't put their finger on why) was just regular aging related stuff.  There a tinge of it on the front of my armpits as well.  Low testosterone.  some GI issues, bit of gut distention (liver normal size 2 years ago).

Just got my iron rechecked and waiting on results.  I'm shedding hair quite a bit but it regrows.  Mostly just messy clogged drain but you couldn't tell otherwise.  Low testosterone.  technically within range, but its low enough to belong to someone twice my age.  around a year ago my eyes became and stayed very bloodshot.  It looks like I'm high or something, but its... I guess normal.  I've been drinking not modestly for about 6 years, but maybe a beer per day now.

While I'm waiting the test out, based on your experiences, any chance HC could be an issue? More likely than not?  to tell the truth, I've felt pretty lousy for the better part of a decade.  Part of me hopes it comes back suggesting HC, I'm just ready for an answer, tired of feeling tired.  thanks folks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well, the good thing is that you are finally being tested.  Your symptoms do sound like HC but then HC symptoms are so like many others.

It is good to get an answer for your problems and for it to be treatable as HC is.  Your tests from 9 years ago indicate a transferrin saturation level that was getting near the reference range of 50% and this can be more telling than ferritin levels.  Your ferritin levels at that time showed that you were not transporting your very slightly elevated serum iron into your organs.

The TS% means that your dr should have monitored your levels at least every 12 months to check what was happening.  If only we knew ourselves.  My dr took 9 years to diagnose after I complained of already severe symptoms and not until my hips broke up from osteo-necrosis.  She was in complete denial of HC.  This was pre google so I could not check up for myself.  All we had back then was "Reader's Digest".

I am wondering about your age - only to see how your symptoms align with the number of years since onset.  A gentleman contacted me about his symptoms who was over 80 years old and suspected it could be HC but his dr did not want to test him.  It would be easy to just dismiss his symptoms because of his age.  I told him what tests to ask for.  He had a physiotherapist who was also a dr so this dr agreed to test him and he was positive for homozygous H63D.  As this is generally a very mild form of HC, it had very slowly started to affect him at a late age.

You don't mention any joint or body pain.  Perhaps you put have that down to age too.

Let us know how you go.

• Posted

Actually, I must check on your serum iron level as indicated.  In my country the ref range is 10-30 umol/L so I cannot equate it being over the reference range, even if read as 16.4.  164 sounds more like a Haemoglobin result where our ref range is 115-160 g/L.

• Posted

I'm 33 male, ive had joint issues for over a decade, I get mild swelling in my hands the day after if I lift weights.  its hit or miss, I don't get it as much anymore but used to be I'd wake up and just run hot water over my hands.  both of my knees grind, degenerative disc disease in lower back.  neck issues.  peeling skin on hands and right shin.  on my palms.  I've greatly increased my vitamin A lots of spinach and sweet potato and ferments and that has helped my skin peeling tremendously but its still there.  my free testosterone has a range of 7-21 and I forget the units but I'm 8.5 .  So basically I'm not technically suffering from hyporgonadism as the lab sees it, but these numbers are not compared to a more precise age which seems odd. My nails are thin and brittle but really they've always been that way since I was a kid so probably nothing new there.  Recently I've had blurry vision and tinnitus and things sounding like I'm listening through a funnel, a really thick fog.  This was no joke, scared the hell out of me.  It came on the heels of too much alcohol, but it wasn't a hangover and it lasted for a week.  Its what made me basically reduce alcohol to 1 drink.  It came as an intense wave of neurological symptoms, I had a white poop (I don't know if relevant.  my liver enzymes were just slightly high but nothing really concerning).  those symptoms started all at once, and cleared up mostly after a couple of weeks.  but a bit of it is still there.  at this point its mostly just the tinnitus and anxiety.  the tinnitus has been creeping up for a while.  I hear it mostly in the morning upon waking and in the evening hours.  Had a head and neck CT a year ago and it didn't show anything catastrophic.

My blood sugar is higher than it should be, prediabtic ish.  the serum iron from the previous post is micrograms per deciliter, or ug/dl.

I'm using labcorp so with or without doctor calling me I'll have results online by friday morning.  Probably sounds weird but I hope this is it, why I feel so crappy because this is curable.  ish.  it seems.

Also, the previous test had 48% saturation as being within reference range... anywho.

thanks for the replies

• Posted

Putting your symptoms into perspective with your age, things are crook!

Don't increase your vit A - more than the required level is toxic.  Google "too much vitamin A" and you will be surprised by what it does.  You would get sufficient vit A from you diet.

Your serum iron (which is in Conventional Units) can be divided by 5.5 to get SI units, ref range 10-30 which put you at the top end.

I expect that your testosterone is not good for a 33 year old - HC does reduce our testosterone and oestrogen.  Apart from the obvious, low testosterone also causes fatigue, muscle weakness and foggy brain.

I had to leave this last night and no doubt you will already have your results.  But I suggest that next time request a Vit B12 and Vit D blood test.  If B12 is low, tablets are not going to help.  Ask for injections.  And if vit D is low buy practioners brand vit D3 forte drops.  They really work.  If pharmacist won't sell them to you without paying to get a referral from their alternative health person, get a script from your dr.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

• Posted

thanks again for the reply.  my b12 is pretty good, near the top end.  I drink a lot of fermented milk which might help.  My vitamin D is within range, but just barely.  ref range is like 30 to 80 or something like that, I'm at 35.   The vit D supplement don't seem to help a lot and they cause sleep problems and anxiety.  I should just really get more sun I guess.

Haven't got a call from doctor but just turned on phone  service today.  Labcorp publishes them to my account friday AM.

I don't take any vit a supplements, just greens and sweet potato.  nothing too crazy.  when I get my results I will for sure share even if normal, which in this case wouldn't be a relief.  I'd rather pop positive versus not knowing what's up yet.  ah well, I appreciate your kindness here.

• Posted

another moderated comment... did I curse?  heheh, I guess I could have and just not realized it.
  • Posted

In your opinion, would a standard mulitvitamin 2 days before a test with iron in it throw a non fasting test off?
    • Posted

I do not know for sure, but it would not make a difference to your TS%.
  • Posted

sorry I've got another comment in limbo with additional info but I used the word heck and it was flagged for moderation.  I'll just wait for it to clear rather than retype it all.

• Posted

Hi Dilfred,  I was diagnosed hymozygous H63D 18 months ago after feeling extremely tired for a long time and after blood test results of 52% iron saturation.  My ferritin has not been higher than 300 so I am told I am not storing iron BUT whilst testing for hemo I was found to be diabetic.   And probably had been for several years.

Have they tested you for diabetes, as some of the problems you mention can also be symptomatic of diabetes.  Extreme tiredness being one.

Also, that armpit discolouration you have got, is definitely a symptom of diabetes.

Because my ferritin wasn't deemed to be high enough I wasn't offered venesection (and for other reasons I can't donate at a blood bank)  but once I was put onto a drug to help with the diabetes, my exteme tiredness improved greatly.  (Along with all the other diabetic symptoms I was unknowingly living with.)

Just thought I'd mention the diabetes in case they haven't tested you for it.

Hope you get some answers soon and beging to feel better.....

• Posted

my blood sugar is around 120, can you have diabetes and have blood sugar that stays between 90 and 120?  thanks for your reply
    • Posted

I am so sorry, I don't know the answer to that.  My diabetes was discovered when an HbA1C test came back with a result of 60 mmol.

I hope you get some answers and some help soon.

• Posted

I just wanted to follow up, iron panel my iron is 130, and everything else within range.  Glucose still slightly high, random spike in potassium but I make a lot of smoothies so that kinda makes sense.  Liver enzymes all within range.

Lymphs(absolute) is 3.7  (Reference Range: 0.7-3.1 x10E3/uL).

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.  Something is causing your problems, so you will have to lean on your drs to keep following up and find answers.  You are only 33, so you cannot keep feeling unwell the rest of your life and possibly getting worse.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.