MMA test

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had low B12 diagnosed since early 2016. I was on monthly shots then every 3 weeks then every 2 weeks for the last 1.5 years. They recently did B12 blood testing after 1 week (level was 521 which is fine) then after 2 weeks (level was 281 which is low) so that confirmed that I still need the shots every 2 weeks. They did an IF factor test a few months ago and that was "normal" (can't remember the result but it indicated that that test was not pointing to pernicious anemia, despite the fact that I sometimes also have low iron. I eat meat/dairy and have not had gastric bypass surgery so they (thankfully) are trying to find out what is going on. The most recent test was for MMA (Methylmalonate) and the result was 56 out of an acceptable range of 0-378. My doctor says that is within normal limits - it looks to me like it's on the low end but I don't know anything about that test, whether the low end is really still fine, or if it's like B12 where actually the low end (e.g. 300 on a B12 test) should actually be considered out of the acceptable range? Has anyone else scored "normal" on all the other B12/PA related testing but still have unexplainable low blood B12? The next step might be a gastro scope to see if there's something wrong with my digestion - I discovered a gluten sensitivity about a year before they discovered my B12 was low so wondering if there could be a connection there, but don't want to undergo a scope if there are other explanations?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

MA (Methylmalonate) and the result was 56 out of an acceptable range of 0-378

seems to be inconsistent.

Please always write units.

What about your CBC test and liver enzymes with biliurbin?

• Posted

Sorry it was 59 nmol/L out of an acceptable range of 0-378 nmol/L.

CBC tests have been normal except occasional low iron. Not sure about liver or bili but I can ask next time!

I just looked it up and it looks like a lower result is actually better - but then, the blood test was done 1 week after my B12 shot, so that might have influenced it, should I ask for a re-test before my next shot?

• Posted

Yes

B12 shots have influenced it for sure.

My iron and potassium are ocassionally low but it's clear correlated with my oral supplements B12-methyolcobalamin - it occurs when I take higher dose.

For that reason always check B12+iron+potassium (iron and potassium are very cheap test).

"recommended" 1mcg oral doses of B12 are too high for me because it depletes my iron and potassium. Homocysteine is a good marker for showing if I take enough B12-methyl. At the moment I take B12-hydroxy and methyl- and adeno- I will do some checks next month probably.

I have also wrong bilirubin levels it may be correlated or not.

My first B12 serum level was 149pg/ml (or 110 pmol/l) now it is hard to meet 350pg/ml (or 260pmol/l).

Please make sure you're not injecting cyano-cobalamin as B12.

Good luck!

Przemek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.