MN causing pain and loss of enjoyment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello friends,

I discovered this forum today and read through all of your posts. I must say I am thrilled to find a community that is going through or has gone through what I am now. I am eager to hear your responses.

I am a 45 yr old female who wore new running shoes to my personal training sessions about a year ago every week and that seemed to be the trigger for this damn foot pain. Course that being said we had our carpets ripped out and now have hardwood floors, perhaps that has contributed. My right foot feels "compressed" or cramped" and it hurts when I wake up in the am and step on it. I cannot wear these running shoes anymore nor any shoes really as they all seem to hurt now. I cannot walk, run nor golf. I can wear boots or any type of footware that is roomy. Driving is tough as it puts presssure on the right foot on the pedal - ouch!!

I saw a podiatrist and he said I have Morton's Neuroma but he did not do anything diagnostically to confirm this. He said I need orthotics and there is no cure. Surgery is a possibility... Due to the fact that he did no formal testing I am not going ahead with anything until I have a firm Dx. I researched and decided that an ultrasound was needed. I have one scheduled one now for next week. What you are all describing plus the fact that the pain is between the 3/4 digits seems probable that it is indeed a neuroma.

I would prefer not having surgery but will do what is necessary. I look forward to hearing your imput. (I am in Canada by the way)

Thanks everyone!

Karen

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Yes it sounds like you have a Morton's Neuroma I am sure the ultrasound will

confirm this. I had surgery on my left foot about 10 years ago and have had no pain

in it since. Before I went ahead with the surgery I tried Orthotics but they didn't work for me. Then about 18 months ago my right foot started to hurt and I knew straight away what the problem was. I went to my GP who referred me to the same surgeon and it was confirmed only this time he said I had 2 neuroma's.

I went ahead again with the surgery about 8 months ago and once again I have no pain. Although the surgeon told me that one of my neuroma's would mean  I would loose the feeling in one of my toe's so it was up to me, I told him to go ahead as the pain had been so bad. Well it is all done now and yes the feeling in one of my toes is gone I do get a funny sensation in the right foot from time to time, not painful at all just a bit weird at times. I think I have been very lucky to find such a good surgeon as others on this site have had  different outcomes after the surgery. I can only say I am glad to have had it on both feet and can now wear any footwear and I am back walking my dogs and running around once again. If you do go for the surgery make sure afterwards you rest your foot as much as possible for as long as they tell you to do so, it will heal a lot quicker and will not bruise as much. Good luck with what ever you decide. Please keep us informed of the outcome. By the way in my case both opp's were day surgery and I had to wear a boot for a couple of weeks untill the stitches came out.

Regards

Chris. xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I am happy to hear you have had great success and are sharing your experiences. It 's good to hear success stories as well as ones gone "wrong"

Karen

• Posted

Depending where you are in Canada, you need an ultrasound of the plantar plate.

The British doctors have a fixation on Morton's neuroma, and attempt to "cut it out" at the drop of a hat.

There is  reason to believe that MN does not even exist. If you write to me privately I will send you a PowerPoint presentation on (the non-existance of) MN.

For heaven's sake do not let anyone - Podiatrist or otherwise - near you with a knife. That surgery to the nerve simply anaesthetises the real cause of the pain. Cutting your spinal cord would relieve the pain just as effectively in the same way.

• Posted

Hi JP, thanks for the reponse. I am trying to avoid anything invasive at all costs at the moment as I don't want to just "mask/cover" the problem up. I agree, other things can happen once there is no feeling or loss of feeling in that area. I will write to you privately to see your powerpoint presentation (once I figure out how to do that!)

What do suggest if a neuroma is Dx?

Karen

• Posted

It can be told that ukulele girl has a lifetime of experience in the abnormalities of the foot and that she knows her anatomy as only a professor of anatomy can understand it, as well as having looked at a great many histological slides of interdigital nerves. She has obviously had the experience of managing uncountable numbers of persons with forefoot pain, and has been on the forefront of research into this troublesome condition. Her inherent reserves have  prevented her from traveling into the dangerous region of "seen one, know it all "
  • Posted

Hi Jp

I was only trying to help, and give my   experience of what happened to me. I am sorry if I upset you but I have to say I am pain free now.

Regards

chris. xxx

• Posted

I have now had my ultrasound and the technician reported no evidence of Morton's Neuroma. Now what???  What next??  There is something clearly wrong with my right foot if I cannot even get up in the am and put any pressure on my foot. Seems like I am back to the drawing board.

JP can you please send me that power point?

Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.