Mobility in 7 months following Bilateral TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Italy for 10 days.  I've been told that my knees will not allow me to walk as required.  If I have the bilateral TKR now, Italy will be 7 1/2 months after.  They say it takes up to a year to be 100%; and plenty of info on the first 2 to 4 months, but what condition can I expect at 7 1/2 months,

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You cannot expect ANYTHING at 7 1/2 months.  Everyone is different and no one knows IN ADVANCE how their recovery will go.  This is a "general" discussion...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

However, statistics apply to populations, NEVER to individuals.  You cannot know, in advance, what you will be like 8 months post-op.

Solution: The first known dedicated wheelchair (invented in 1595 and called an invalid's chair) was made for Phillip II of Spain by an unknown inventor.  If it worked for a king, it will work for you.  Enjoy Italy...

• Posted

Chico, you really could write a book!! Your answers are always spot on! I am week 2 of my 2nd TKR (my first was 10 months ago). It never ceases to amaze me the difference in the two experiences! This time has been so far...much easier. Healing is just contingent on way too many variables! I do think it is good to set short and long term goals, but you can’t rely on every goal to be met on a schedule. Traveling can be tough with two good knees...love the idea of the wheel chair! Carpe Diem!!!
    • Posted

I'm waiting to get #2 done.  Still going to take my time but not too much.  I'll be 70 in February and working full time.  Can't be doing that and get a knee replaced.  Plus I'm in a new band and don't want to jeopardize that either.  The other knee has zero pain so I'll put it off as long as I can, even though it's bone on bone.

I was told a long time ago that I would be a writer one day...maybe THIS is it!!!  I've got soooo many stories from growing up in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York City (Mafialand) in the 50's and 60's.  The Sopranos was kindergarten compared to the stuff that went on there.  More like Goodfellas.  I delivered groceries from my father's store to the whole damn mob for years.  My first wife's dad was a judge; the 325-person wedding reception consisted of the Brooklyn mob on one side of the room, all the judges, DAs and cops on the other!!!  Geez...a screenwriter would reject the premise as pure fiction!

• Posted

I think you might start writing your story elsewhere, maybe a blog a place to start? It sounds very interesting and you have a way with words! Please start writing your story soon, it seems to be bursting out of you waiting to be told!

• Posted

As I once heard at a seminar :  Your story would have to be real. Fiction has to make sense.
    • Posted

Yes, my stories are all real...can't make this stuff up.  The Universe has a very perverse sense of humor...

• Posted

You’ll be fine. I am walking w/o walker after 7 days and hardly need walking stick. Key is to strenghten your leg muscles before the operation.

i am going deer hunting in 29 days after TKR and I am over 70.

• Posted

Depends what the " required" is.?..with wheelchair on hand, and counting as a disabled traveller up you can have peace of mind that you could go, but I wouldn't expect to be fully ok.

I am seven months, but with just one TKR. I think recovery would be a few months behind with more than one, I guess?

I can now walk easily and fast for 40 minute blocks. I could probably do more if I wanted too. I can walk and stand on my feet for hours...I have had days where I am visiting galleries and I have been walking for two hours slowly around exhibitions plus walking around the city in about twenty minute blocks 3 or four times,. Bit of an ache at the end of the day, but nothing more.

But there is no way I could of done this at 5 months. The improvement is big, and also in energy levels and muscle strength it is very noticeable.

It sounds like a huge opportunity. It would probably do your spirit a lot of good, and it is helpful to have other things to focus on after the first 5 months, even though the process of rehabilitation and recovery is far from over.

So who knows? Some people are faster and some are slower. I had straightforward experience with no complications and just one knee.

• Posted

Doreen we all heal differently.  I live in the US and am 5 months out of  tkr.  I’m on a trip right now to Eastern Europe.  I am far from totally healed but have met 2 more women healing from Tkr on this same trip.  We are all using walking sticks but are keeping up.  You need to listen to your own body.  We walked about 3 miles this am...not all at one time, but my leg was tired so I declined activity for this afternoon.  If you go you must listen to your body and give it rest when needed.  If you aren’t feeling well...don’t go.  Trust your body because it’s awesome!   Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.