Mobility Scooter questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

For someone who wants to get out and about but does not want to drive on roads what are the most inportant decisions before buying a scooter.

It will not need to be dismantled to go into a car.

How possible is to get one into a lift ?

Our building has a garage with a power point reserved for scooters and although the lift in our building is only 36" deep and 26" wide I have seen a person in a mobility scooter getting in to it but it does not seem possible now that I have measured it.  I must seek her out to discover how she does it.

If I can get it upstairs we have a storage cupboard on our landing that is 45" deep with 28" wide doorway but even that seems tight.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Don't get a 3 wheel one they are too unstable when you come off a pavement.

4mph are the ones you are take on the pavement. You need to measure and see if it will fit in your lift only they are difficult to chain down and will go missing. 

Think about getting a cover if you want to go out in the rain so you don't get wet. 

• Posted

As I said there is a communal garage allocated for them but it is quite a trek to them.

I had thought that about the 3 wheelers. There is almost a case to make to have two. One for general use and a collapsible one.

I met someone with a di Blase that he takes on Euro Star and  cruises.

More amazing were a group of ladies back from a holiday in Peru and about to go to India.

• Posted

Where we live on the South Coast the wind is even worse than the rain.

• Posted

There is a shop in Fareham high street that always has loads outside. There is another one in Eastleigh 
    • Posted

A bit far for me as I'm in East Sussex but there are quite a few around.

You don't realise how many until you need one.

• Posted

I bought a second hand Roma Marbella electric wheelchair from an old established local shop.

It fits into our lift if I put the footrests up. Did my first outings with it on Saturday and Sunday. Certainly easy to use but our pavements leave a lot to be desired and not having the suspension of a mobility scooter you can feel a lot of bumps. Makes me feel sorry for babies in prams.

Next step with be to take it on busses and trains.

• Posted

Hi

I've had numerous ones due to change of need. I now have an electric wheelchair as opposed to a scooter as my arms don't work correctly due to my damaged neck. My wheelchair has a joystick but although it's awkward, it does fold down

I would seriously do your homework as what's good for one person may not necessarily be good to you. Find a large mobility shop with plenty of different stock, check prices as some shops can be more expensive but may offer good warranties or quick repairs, which is sometimes essential. Check cost of replacement batteries etc and if they charge on or off your scooter, this is important as unfortunately my new wheelchair is onboard charging and a nightmare as I don't really have the space in my small bungalow so I'm looking for an extension to do it.

Don't rush in. My new chair cost £1100 but my last off road chair( I loved) cost second hand £2400 and I sold it 12 months later for £1400 as I couldn't drive it anymore due to my impringed shoulders.

Hope this helps

Research and double check your tick boxes.

Wendy

• Posted

Than you for that Wendy,

Which did an article on them some time ago that I will go to a library for.

At least two companies seem to have a bad reputation for pushy salememen and over pricing.

• Posted

Än electric week chair can go on a bus but not a scouter. That is also important when you make a choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.