Mobilization has been done and what a difference!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my knee mobilized under anesthesia yesterday. They did a femoral nerve block and then gave me a dose of Michael Jackson's favorite sleeping aid - he did get the good drugs! As soon as I woke up I was off to physical therapy. Bit of a shock regressing back to a deadened quad muscle and a leg that felt like rubber, but gosh, got that bend to 124. Then today I went again (have to go 10 consecutive days) and got it to 127. I'm not saying it's not painful, but it's a different kind of pain. This pain feels more like a bad bruise and I can cope with it I think even after the nerve block wears off. I'm just a little nervous that it's all too good to be true! I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow, and I am still on my pain meds, but now it doesn't seem like taking drugs with no results to show for it.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan,

Good for you! So happy to hear of your good results and hope the progression continues for you!

I have had MJ's favorite sleeping aid myself, for endoscopy's I have to have every few years because of acid reflux & hiatal hernia like your husband. The drug has never given me any side affects whatsoever & I wish they could use it on major surgeries like hip or TKR, because whatever they gave me when I had my TKR was worse than the op, from the severe nausea it gave me.

For some reason I never learned, they could not give me a spinal.

Anyway, continued good wishes to you with your bend! Betty

• Posted

They did use it on my TKR Betty - spinal and diprivan. Woke up with no nausea at all.
    • Posted

It's probably not long lasting enough to use alone on major surgery, do you think? I'm just assuming that since I've only had it on short procedures like an endoscopy or colonoscopy. Like I said, they could not do a spinal on me for some reason. I remember sitting up waiting for the anesthesiologist to give me the shot, he becoming very frustrated because he couldn't get the needle in or some such thing, and before I knew it, I had to lie back down & suddenly a mask was put on me, putting me out that way.

Next time ( if there is a next time) I will request MJ's favorite drug of choice, if it's possible to use for long surgeries.

How is your husband doing after his hiatal hernia surgery? Did he suffer for a long time before having this surgery?

Betty

• Posted

No I don't think they could use it alone on a long surgery. It really does knock you right out though and fast. I woke up feeling really chipper. Anesthesiologist said that was one of the reasons it was so popular, then add that you need to know what you are doing though.

Richard is recovering well but he is amazed at how tired he still is - this is after 10 days. He had what he thought was GERD for a few years but he started having real problems in just the last few months - could only eat very small meals and had to give up hot sauce and beer!!! His stomach had pushed right up into the chest cavity and was being strangled, so wouldn't hold much, and any gas that got trapped had nowhere to go - that was painful. Now he has to eat slowly and chew everything well and is banned from meat and bread (and of course, beer) for a while.

• Posted

Thats great news Joan. So glad to hear you had such favourable results.
  • Posted

Glad the drugs and  the op worked out for you. Long may it continue.....xx
  • Posted

Well the nerve block has completely worn off now and gosh - painful!! I'm still getting it to bend though.
    • Posted

Ouch, back to square one again, huh? No really, I'm sure the mobilization has helped your recovery immensely, and you will see the difference in time.

Good luck to you Joan,

Betty

• Posted

Have never had that done Joan but imagine it would be painful now because all the muscles and ligaments have been stretched. Keep working through those exercises and Im sure that bend will not only stay but even mprove! 
    • Posted

No, not back to square 1 because I still got it to 123 at PT today despite the extra pain (which I am sort of used to now after 12 weeks of it). And I also got the bicycle pedal all the way round!
    • Posted

That's great Joan! I on the other hand seem to have gone backwards sad

I'm quite a bit ahead of you ( a little over 6 months) my bend was 130 on my last day of PT ( months ago) and my husband measured it today & it was 118! I'm shocked & very distressed about it. I blame myself for becoming lax about keeping up the exercises. I walk and ride the bike several times a week but obviously that is not enough, so I'm back to the exercises I was doing in PT again. I plan to start some water exercises soon as well.

Lesson learned! I guess we have to be diligent with the exercises for at least the first year!

Good luck Joan, Betty

• Posted

Thanks Betty. It certainly souds like these exercises have to stay with us, yet I see people on this forum writing that their doctor has told them they don't need the exercises anymore. Guess we just have to pay attention to our own knees.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, have been wondering how you are and if you still looked at the forum. Like you, I'm still not out of the woods yet. Still suffer with this nerve pain from the tight piriformis muscle. Just got back from a cruise to the Canaries where I did quite a bit of walking. Some days were better than others. The back of my leg tightens after walking for a while and gets very stiff to bend then. Not so much painful as uncomfortable. Can't tell how much is due to the knee or the muscle tightness. I get fed up some days, do you? I thought you might not be posting any more as you are skipping around with no problems 😊 Like you, I'm still exercising twice a day. See my physio today, probably for the last time. 

It's good to hear how you're progressing. Jen (7 months post op!) 

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Great to hear from you! I think about you often and wondered if you ever went to the Canaries like you said you might. How wonderful for you!

I still read the forum but most are in such early stages where I don't feel I have as much to contribute. I wish I were skipping around as you say smile

but I feel I still have a way to go yet. My leg is still not straight & the bend is not where it should be either. Because it's not straight, it's shorter than the other & makes walking uncomfortable. I can feel a "pull" when I walk and it makes the groin area painful too.

I'm wondering if it's because I became a little lazy about doing all those exercises everyday, but it seems my life was revolving around exercising and I felt walking & riding the stationary bike was enough, but apparently not. So I'm back to doing all those exercises again that they gave me when I was doing physical therapy.

If you are still exercising twice a day, I can understand your feeling fed up. We thought we'd be "normal" by now, didn't we? Can it really be 7 months?? Where did the time go??

Hang in there my friend & keep in touch!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, thanks for replying. We both seem to be still suffering a bit then. I am quite pleased this afternoon as the physio dept didn't give up on me. She  gave me some acupuncture this morning and has referred me to an Advanced Rehabilitation course which runs twice weekly for 8 weeks. It's a 3 hour session in the gym and pool and I'll also be able to have a few more acupuncture sessions there too. I went for a course last year before the op and found it quite beneficial so I'm hoping it'll do some good. I feel very lucky that I'm getting all this treatment on our NHS. 

My leg is not completely straight either which causes some of the tightness/stiffness I think. I suppose we must keep up with these darned execises😊 

i've been the same regarding the forum. I read but don't post very often unless I think I've got something to say that others haven't. I still find it reassuring to know others encounter similar problems though.

look after yourself and try to get that leg straight. One day, we'll be skipping and dancing  👯 

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jen,

That is GREAT, being referred to an advanced rehabilitaion course! I'm sure that will be very beneficial for you!  Have you done any exercises in the pool yet? I have not, but if it proves to help you, then I think I will consider it myself.

Please keep me posted on your progress! I just finished my stretching, leg lifts, etc on the bed, and now off for my walk! Fun times smile

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, no I haven't done any pool exercises yet. I did try going swimming in the early stages but didn't feel very comfortable so only went the once. I'm not a strong swimmer anyway. I quite enjoyed the pool sessions when I did this rehab course last year though. I'll let you know how I get on. I start on Wednesday.

Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.