Moderate Diarrhea, Blood, Waiting for Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, this is my second discussion post. I'm 32, male, chronic liver disease patient HBV, vegan, and not that physically active. I self-admitted to the ER twice within the last 1-2 months on June 20th and July 5th. Had abdominal/pelvic CT scan w/contrast but no bowel prep or emptying bowel and flexible sigmoidscopy to check for possible volvulus. Nothing serious was found except I had small internal hemmoroids and the scope went only up to 70 cm. I was scheduled for colonoscopy on July 10, 2019 but postponed until August 15th due to anxiety. Bloodwork showed normal range for RBC and no anemia.

I am just worried because I had bright red blood around stools at the end of bowel movement and on toilet paper on July 13th. Used Prep H, drank more water and took Miralax and fiber as laxatives. It happened only once then until this morning (July 20th). This time my stools had no visible blood neither black nor red, but when I wiped I found bright red blood with dark yellow stools. I am very worried. I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist doctor on August 1st, so it's a 2-day wait. I am debating if I should check in at urgent care to get bloodwork done again for anemia and full CBC. Also, I am having moderate loose stools, shapeless or diarhea for almost 2 weeks. My bowel movements had gone from straining and constipation before July 13th my first noticeable blood within the last 2 months to littlr straining and soft, watery stools. I ate different vegetables and foods and the result is the same: soft watery stools at the very end. Dry more solid stools beginning to soft.

I had Bristol stool types 3 and 4 for the first half of July then stool types 4, 5 and 6 right now.

I tried to drink less, eat less fiber and sit more to make stools more solid and the diarhhea is still occurs no matter what my diet or effort.

I am afraid to have another BM. Should I visit urgent care to check for infections or other serious problems? Or should I wait for GI appointment?

Please let me know what you think.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

usually the bright red blood is caused from tiny blood vessel‘s that can break especially when you strain. it happens near the opening.

it’s nothing to be alarmed about when it’s caused by that. Many people including myself have had that happen. The dark red blood is more of a concern than the red blood. many times hemorrhoids can cause the bright red blood to be seen . The dark blood is normally from up higher in the colon where is the red is normally near and around the opening.

but you can get it checked out regardless.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I discussed this with an older friend and she seemed to go through the same thing: hemorrhoids. I will wait to see my GI doctor on Thursday.

Do you recommend any lubricant beside mineral oil? Recently I found that mineral oil an ingredient in Prep H is toxic for our body. I read somewhere to use coconut oil or hemp seed oil.

• Posted

yes just wait until you see your doctor. He or she may prescribe something for you or suggest something natural. Yes hemorrhoids are a frequent cause of the bright red blood. Now at least you can relax a little before you see your doctor! ❤

• Posted

Straining for a bowel movement, diarrhoea, haemorrhoids and fissures can cause bright red blood. Since you are worrying, you could ask for your appointment to be brought forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.