Moderate Dysplasia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I,ve been told I have moderate Dysplasia in the cells of the oesphagus and although it's not cancer it could become cancer has anyone else had these and what if any is the treatment for them I have to go for another endoscope soon because the last one also showed a lot of inflammation it's all I,m thinking about at the moment I,m terribly anxious is anyone else going through this everytime I eat I can feel pain in my chest so I now dread eating and I,m losing weight I can even have a problem drinking water why is this ? Please any help or advice would be gratefully received 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The priority will probably be to deal with the inflammation first.

​Low grade dysplasia carries a risk of oesophageal cancer (about 5% in the next 1 - 8 years);  For high grade dysplasia the risk is ten time higher.   There is a procedure called radio frequency ablation that is successful in many cases of removing the affected cells and preventing the cancer from developing.   I suspect that this procedure should take place once the inflammation has been sorted out;  this might be done by reducing the stomach acid being refluxed, which is one possible cause.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I was originally told it was Barretts oesphagus but after another endoscope told it was,not so not to sure which cells they mean I.ve heard of this rfa procedure I,m waiting to go for another endoscope in about three weeks time so will know more then it's all this waiting around not knowing what's going to happen that I,m finding so difficult have you had this rfa procedure.

• Posted

No I have not had this myself.   It is not available at all centres yet.
    • Posted

Do you know where it is available and would I have to ask to be referred. my consultant didn't mention anything about this procedure to me i.ve only found out about it by going on these forums and some of them say they only treat high grade dysplasia do you know if this is correct . Thanks

• Posted

It is probably out of date, but there is a list on the website of Action Against Heartburn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.