Moderate left flank pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

The other day, I started having some pain on my left side right below my ribs. The pain is continuously getting worse and it hurts to move, take a deep breath and trying to sleep is impossible. I've been unable to finish a full meal also, even though I'm crazy hungry. Trying to get over yet another sinus infection but it's just not happening. The pain is excruciating and I can't figure this one out. Being an emt, I know my quadrants and what's in them. Don't think it's a rib so I'm leaning more towards spleen. Help!!! Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

When you say you are an EMT, do you mean ENT?   What tests have you had? Try a food diary and eat little bur often. See your doctor again.
    • Posted

No I am an emergency medical technician (emt). I haven't gone to the doc yet. I have a lump/bulge over one of my lower ribs, with minor swelling. But the pain is starting to radiate and is getting worse. I just can't think of how i could've injured a rib and the pain started randomly.

• Posted

Maybe you have Tietze syndrome which causes pain and swelling at the juncture of your ribs and breastbone. It is similar to costochondritis which causes pain in the same area but doesn't result in swelling.  I got costochondritis suddenly after a long bout of stress.

• Posted

Interesting idea, I didn't think about that. Definitely a possibility!

• Posted

Although the pain is on my side, not at my breast bone.
    • Posted

Maybe the pain below your ribs is radiating up to your side.  Costochondritis Tietze syndrome pain can be down the front of your ribcage, beneath your ribs, sides and round your back.
    • Posted

Swelling increased so I decided to get checked. 2 cracked/fractured ribs, apparently from all of the coughing I've been doing lately with the infections I've had. Thanks a lot for your help!! Just going to take time to heal!

• Posted

My brother and my uncle's partner both cracked their ribs when coughing from a chest infection.  Glad you found out what it was.

• Posted

Hi Jamie ask your doctor to check you for H pylori if also having heart burn

Best of luck

• Posted

No heartburn. I'll keep that in mind though thank you!

• Posted

How do I add a picture? I took one that clearly shows the difference between the left and right sides.
    • Posted

Open the message box and you will see four icons on the top right hand corner.  One is for bold text, the second is italics, the third is a smiley face which when you at it straight on looks like a colon (two vertical dots) and a single bracket. You will see that it looks like a happy face when you look at it vertically.  The fourth icon is coloured red at the bottom and looks like a hill and has a red dot above it.  This is the icon that you click to add a picture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.