Modic type 1 & multilevel degenerative changes...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all & thank goodness you're out there (I hope)!

Brief: female, 37 years of age, suffered with lower back issues for a long time, but more prominently since Christmas 2015. Latest radiologist report from MRI, various disc protrusions & bulges along with prolapsed L5/S1. I saw a consultant physiotherpist yesterday, who seemed most concerned about the modic type 1 changes found. A blood test was taken (await results) to see if there was a form of bacterial infection. I presume not.

However, the outcome from the consultation has made me feel extremely vulnerable about the future (as in, mobility, work, general standard of life). He seemed to indicate that this was simply going to be a matter of finding a pain relief regime - he said there will be times when I fall back to square one of unbearable pain & time off work as and when necessary.  

Of course, my partner and I have been stripping the internet of any and all related information, but it does seem quite confused. Various people on antibiotic treatment, others having surgery (which the consultant said would be a last resort and it wouldn't be a simple case of keyhole, it would basically be rebuilding my back - which sounded extreme, to say the least!).

I have a further appointment with him in 8 weeks, another MRI in 3 months to see if the modic is progressing, but to me, personally, it seems odd that there has been no initial discussion regarding treatment, aside from gentle physiotherapy. I of course appreciate that exercise is good, but at the same time, the vertebrae are vulnerable and I really do not want to aggravate things further - do you know what I mean?  I'm fairly fit & not overweight.

I see a few posts regarding MAST and I wonder if anyone out there has actually completed the course & improved?  

Final question: how have I developed modic type 1, I'm so confused?

All experience & advice hugely welcome...

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.