Modified Valsalva procedure! Works like magic!

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all recently found this site been dealing with dx SVT FOR 3 mos now Has anyone else been show the modified VALSALVA METHOD to get out of svt ? first time I WENT TO ER they gave me adenosine. dont want to do that again! 2nd time they taught me this procedure and it worked like magic you can google itits really easy

CORINNE

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Corinne. Glad you found something that worked for you. The paramedics tryed that on me before taking me to a and e, but it didn't work🙁

• Posted

So sorry to hear that, sometimes it takes a few tries for me. It's not something you read about when you look up SVT. It's so simple and they didn't even know or try it the first ER visit.

• Posted

Maybe it's something that can work or not? Worth a try though. They used a syringe with me and told me to try and blow the bottom out and said pretend your on the toilet too lol and push. I so wish it had worked instead of that horrible drug they give you. But that drug was such a relief. From nearly 200bpm to 80bpm was a God send. Ice cold water over your face may help too, so I've heard🙂

• Posted

Claire that is not the MODIFIED valsalva that is being discussed here. Please google it - there is a youtube video you can watch so you can understand the difference and read the study about how much more effective it is than the valsalva alone (which is what you're describing)

• Posted

"Bearing down" worked for me but at the wrong time. After being monitored for an hour or so ER staff administered beta blocker. Before it could take effect I went for a bowel movement, bearing down moderately brought my pulse to normal. When the drug did take effect a few minutes later my pulse was bouncing around 20 -25, causing a bit of alarm for the attending nurse.

• Posted

Yes I've spoken about it many times on this page.

I've avoided Adenosine countless times now. I've shown people the video and had them help me.

The valsalva manouvre IS NOT THE SAME so for anyone who has blown in a syringe and thinks it doesn't work they need to watch the video. It's far more effective than the normal valsalva (which never worked for me at all).

• Posted

For some reason we can't link on these pages.

Just search for the words in youtube. There is a short video of the Drs who carried out the research.

• Posted

Hi Corrine,

Did they teach you to do the modified valsalva with a partner or by yourself? If by yourself, please tell how your legs get lifted. Also, did they give you a syringe to blow into, and if so, which one, because not all syringes have the same resistance. Thanks.

Jim

• Posted

you do not need a syringe. You can use a straw and block the end. Or you can put your thumb in your mouth and close your mouth around it and blow out as your cheeks expand

• Posted

Lolasmom, I am very familiar and have used different methods for valsalva. I asked about the syringe because my understanding is a specific syringe was given to patients by the authors of the study to take home. The reason is because the study used a specific blowing pressure for a specific time and the syringes were supposed to duplicate that.

Personally, I have blown into my hand, thumb, and a Terumo syringe, but until last night always without a partner so I can't say I ever used the modified valslava. Last night, however, a friend lifted my legs after I blew into the Terumo syringe for 15 seconds and I came out of SVT instantly. Was this coincidence, would I have come out at the same time just blowing into the syringe? Really hard to say since my episodes never last more than 10 minutes anyway. But based on the study, and my experience, I do recommend the modified valsava and ideally you will want to do it as close to the study protocol as possible which would involve blowing into specific syringe for I believe 15 seconds and then having your legs lifted.

Jim

• Posted

Jim sometimes the breathlessness and chest pressure is such that 15 seconds of exertion against resistance like a syringe is far too much to cope with. For the sake of the study there had to be strict parameters around things like syringe size and length of time blowing out in order to eliminate variables from the study.

You need to blow for as long as you can and as long as you need to. If it doesn't work first time then you recover and try again.

The larger syringes are usually what is used for this, 10ml or 20ml but as you're aware the science isn't that exact because it's the exertion that's required and moving the plunger isn't actually necessary, it just gives you some incentive.

• Posted

There is a really good youtube showing the modified. i think it is a 10 mil syringe

My episodes last anywhere from 15 minutes up to 6 hours.

The modified one has only worked once for me. Lately, I have been holding my breath and holding my nose while trying to breathe out through my nose, while bearing down. I think it is more successful if you try it right away.

It seems strange that one thing works one time, and the next time, it does not.

Kinda have to try everything until something works.

The time my episode was for 6 hours. I finally went to emerg. They wanted to give me adenosine. I had heard so many nasty things about it, and could not make my mind up.

\When I finally told them to go ahead, I told them that I have to pee really bad. This happens to me when having an episode. I told them I must go pee before the adenosine otherwise, I will pee my pants.

They unhooked me, and away I went. It seemed like I peed forever.

I can back, and they hooked me up, and bingo....my heart rate was 74 !!!!

I got dressed and came home. They toldme I stimulated my vagus nerve while peeing

How wonderful is that?

At this particul episode, I had been told I had AVNRT...But after this episode I found out I have AT.Adenosine does not stop AT.So it would have been done for nothing.Atleast now I can say no to adenosine

• Posted

Hi again yes, I did the blow in the tube thingy, it doesn't work. Although I have to say, just on Saturday evening as I was getting ready to leave work I went into SVT, was driving home called my DH and told him I was in SVT again, (2nd day in a row), he was ready when I get home to do the MOdified Valsalva, but at a stop light I decided to hold my breath and count to 15 and release the breath and VOILA, it stopped and I was back in normal rhythm. Can't explain why that worked but it did.

Claire, I haven't been able to do the manuever without some help, usually my DH, one time my DD. Don't know if you can do it alone. But it does work, at least on me, every time. Since Sept, 3 mos. now it's happened about a dozen times. I am 60 years old, have had flutters and past episodes for the past 10-12 years, just DX in Sept. Seems to me it should be standard, instead of or at least before administering, adenosine which is scary as heck!

• Posted

Hi there!

The paramedics taught me the modified valsalva two weeks ago - I've had ten+ years of episodes that only respond to adenosine, and this snapped me out of SVT!! I was shocked and so, so grateful. I have only tried it assisted but am trying to figure out a way to do it alone. I can certainly lift my own legs, but not sure if it will work the same way. It's made me so much more calm about my episodes while I'm waiting for an ablation - my husband can help me if he's home, and if not, I can try it myself! So glad it worked for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.