MOH and withdrawal of Sumatriptan … looking for advice!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a chronic migraine sufferer and have now been diagnosed with medication overuse headaches, has anyone else gone through this and had to come off Sumatriptan altogether?

If so did things improve?

How long did it take to get out of your system?

What did you take / not take?

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i am in the same position!

i'm just recovering from a horrendous 7 day stint!

I didnt take any triptans this time, as ive had 15 migraines so far this month... used over the counter meds instead, which obviously didnt help me at all, and the migraine lasted twice as long. However i am told that things will ease having not relied on them.. i guess we shall see.

ive recently purchased some magnesium supplements that im waiting for today... after all the articles ive researched on it, i guess im hoping for some positive results. But after this last migraine I will literally try anything!

Have an appointment with my neurologist next week... so fingers crossed for my final outcome to be botox as i have tried everything else!

• Posted

we are in exactly the same position, I previously didnt know about the 15 per month rule, so had been taking 1 a day for the past 2 years!

Saw a Neurologist 3 wks ago and the recommendation was to come off altogether, he perscribed Naproxin to help me get through, MIGRAINE TRUST, usually say up to a month, neurologist said it could be 3, been signed off work for a month and start today! I'm not looking forward to it at all!

• Posted

oh and my magnesium arrives today too!!

my friend also recommended some homeopathic meds which arrive today, and i have ice packs on their way too.

i think the problem with Naproxen is you have to eat when taking them, then hold them down!

keep in touch and let me know how it goes!

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Yes I had the same problem as yourself, just over a year ago. I had been taking Sumatriptan for three weeks, my GP spoke to the neurologist who said that I had to come off them. The withdrawal from them was not as bad as I thought it would be. It took about three weeks to get them out of my system. Meanwhile I took Naproxen and Paracetamol for the pain. My headaches/migraine have only started to improve in February this year. My GP tried a number of preventative meds, to no avail. Now I am taking 400 mg Sodium Valproate daily and so far this has made a massive difference, reduced frequency of headaches/migraine by probably two thirds. I haven't taken Sumatriptan since. Hope this helps.

Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi Chris, thx for your reply.

can i pls ask how you knew they were out of your system?

Im one week in so far, not enjoying this at all!

thx

Lorraine

• Posted

My GP told me to allow approximately three weeks, so you are still early days.

Hope you get things sorted out.

Chris

• Posted

how in the world do you stop taking imitrex though if its your only relief?? that terrifies me as blindness is often my first migrane symptom. naproxen isnt going to restore my vision. i too feel like i take too much imitrex but the preventatives arent working

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

i too was very scared, but to think im getting more because of the tabs has been a real incentive to work through... it has been a case of spending time in bed / asleep / in pain on and off for two weeks, but taking time off and giving myself no pressure whatsoever has definitely helped

hope you manage to get yours sorted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.