Molar aches, Whole cheek swollen and hurts

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

So basically i'm a 21 year old girl who hasn't been to the dentist in over 7 or 8 years. i'm deathly afraid of dentists and just the thought of getting my teeth checked brings me to tears, not only from the potential pain i'll feel while getting treated but from the shame and the embarrassment that i'll get from telling the doctor what my mouth feels like and then proceeding to actually showing him.

My teeth are all messed up, i have three molars that are broken and i think are 'dead' since the teeth look greyish, they also have cavities that goes so far down and the crowns are missing the inner part.

i have about 4 to 5 more cavities on other molars that are more on the surface, adding to that i have 2 abscesses in the back of my lower jaw, Not to mention the fact that my teeth are very crooked and i desperately need braces to fix them.

Yesterday one of the molars with the broken crown started hurting like hell, and today my cheek has begun swelling, it hurts to talk, eat, drink, lay on it... everything hurts.

I know i need to see a doctor but i'm scared and most of all embarrassed of my month, i don't think i can bring myself to open it in front of a doctor. i would rather stay here sitting in absolute pain then see one.

Have any of you been in a somewhat similar situation? and do you guys have any tips to get over my phobia or any meds that could help?

I'm sorry i know i probably sound like a whining kid, but it truly terrifies me.

Thank you in advance!

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You have one of two options, either you can brush your teeth twice a day and use mouthwash, or you can see the dentist more often. There are pros and cons to both. Checkups by the dentist do not hurt, and are painless. Although if having teeth removed or when they use a drill to drill a hole in the gum/teeth to put a filling in it can be more painful. I have had a filling put in without the drill and also i use mouthwash when experiencing tooth pain. Antibacterial mouthwash and constant brushing of teeth does wonders for the mouth and gums. Its underrated, it really is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.