Mold exposure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd like to know more about how mold can contribute to me/cfs. I am reading "Through the Shadowlands" by Julie Rehmeyer and it got me thinking. 

Do any of you have exposure to mold? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

  • Posted

    There's not much good evidence of anything on this. Some parts of Julie's narrative seem implausible to me, but that's not to say that no-one will react badly to mold, or that it won't play a role in people developing CFS style symptoms.

    ?I've not decided to sell all my stuff and spend some time in the desert.

    • Posted

      It is exhausting to even think about it.
  • Posted

    I have had exposure to mold, coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally) ever since the symptoms of my cfs started showing up.

    I personally do think that the mold does contribute to cfs.

    • Posted

      Have you been able to do anything to decrease the mold exposure?
  • Posted

    Hi there all,

    I reacted to mould before CFS/ME so know it's a phenomenon. I become wheezy and almost asthmatic with it. Whether it would make me more symptomatic now, I am not sure. I find chemicals hard to deal with now and plugins, air fresheners etc, leave me I'll and like I've developed a cold. My face gets hot, my ear feels leaky(?) My nose blocks/runs and I have had to go to the hospital with carpet cleaner as I couldn't breath at all with that.

    As with most CFS/ME symptoms, I think they're personal to some degree and some suffer more than others. For example: A friend of mine with it gets extreme chest pain which I don't yet we both share slurring of speach, walking problems etc.


    • Posted

      I do think it's a combination of things - If mold is one of the things, I want to find a way to deal with it.

    • Posted

      I'll be honest, I can smell it really strongly and so wash things that are washable when I do. Keep windows open when you can and if you dry clothes on a radiator- have a window open at the same time. Make sure you get rid of any veg/fruit that starts to deteriorate. Anything to minimise exposure will help. I've been sensitive to it all my life so get a bit OTT when it's around.

      Hope that helps


Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.