Moles and Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lets start off by saying I've had my family doctor check out my moles and an walk in clinic doctor, both say I look fine. 

I do have an appointment with my dermatologist but it's not until next month (first time visit). 

I have always had freckles and moles, ever since I was about 10 I remember I started getting moles. At 28 I feel I am getting more and more. Most look harmless semetrical ones but I do have a few that look "funny" though the doctor says they look harmless. I wish I could just have all of them removed. I have a family history of it. Grandpa got it due to working on the docks and my aunt from tanning. I hide from the sun in the summer and lather on sunblock if I wear a bathing suit. I've been fairly cautious but I do have anxiety worried that I either have a hidden cancerous mole or that they will turn cancerous. A girl on a Facebook group I'm in was talking about how she has terminal stage 3 melenoma and it freaked me out, set off my anxiety and now I can't stop thinking about it.... I will include photos. The close up photo is of one on my bum crack that has been there for a while (don't remember when I first saw it). I feel like waiting a month is way too long. I want to see another doctor but I know they probably wont do much...sigh. Please help. Advice please! I haven't been feeling the greatest. Always tired, neck sore under my jaw, stomach issues. All blood tests come up fine, had a physical and the doctor felt around and I'm fine. I'm just going crazy. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi you're doing the right thing, seeing a Dermatologist.  Next month is nearly here!

Have you had a look at this leaflet?  It has useful information.

https://patient.info/health/skin-cancer-melanoma

I see you have a tattoo,   When did you have it done?

I use DermNet NZ  a lot, as do the doctors I see, including my Consultant.

Try not to worry and good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. It's hard. I tried compairing the moles I have to photos but the one on my bum is wishy washy in comparison. I honestly feel like a month is too long and I read up reviews on the dermatologist that I will be meeting and heard that she brushes people off a lot and is a bit too fast. 
    • Posted

I hope she doesn't brush you off too quickly.  It is interesting,  there are 3 Consultants in my clinic, one man and 2 women.  The women's patients positively whizz through!  I ask to see the man, he is the name I am technically under but I have to ask every time.

Perhaps you should write down the questions that you want to ask her.

• Posted

That could help. But from all of the reviews...I;m not too sure. My doctor already brushed me off with my concerns. 
    • Posted

Don't pre-judge your Dermatologist, make your own decision.

As for your GP, can you see a different doctor in the Practice, or change Practices?

• Posted

Unfortunately finding a doctor in Canada is like finding a needle in a hay stack. He is good, an older man, but fairly quick. 
    • Posted

Ah,  Canada!  I don't know about your health system there.

I hope your Dermatology appt. goes well and if you read up about your moles, make some notes, perhaps you will get on well with the Dermatologist.

• Posted

She looked at my moles and said they were fine, gave me a piece of paper with photos and info on what to look for. She did do this liquid nitrogen spray on my head saying I had sun damage that could turn into cancer so she froze it off. That was interesting. 
    • Posted

Well, it sounds as though she checked you properly if she has done that to your head.

Do you feel you had a positive consultation?

• Posted

I'm pleased about that.  I hope you feel you can now move forward.

• Posted

Well, now the mole I was having issues with is itchy, more itchy, feels textured. I am going to go to an urgent care clinic to get it looked at tomorrow as it's freaking me out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.