Molluscum anxiety, please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I had MC for about four or five months. I thought I was totally clear by about the beginning of February. I had it on my genitals, thighs, and towards the end my chest as well. I tried so many different things to get rid of them that it's hard to know what actually worked in the end, however they really started to go when I used a combination of salicylic acid soap and just popping the things using a needle and rubbing alcohol. I had the most, probably around 25 at any given time, in my genital area. They shrivelled up and went away.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed some pink blotches in my genital area along with some flat, clear spots on my chest. Obviously I freaked the eff out. I ran to my GP, who looked at the spots on my chest and said they didn't look like molluscum, just "random lesions" and advised applying sudocrem. I did pop one and no core came out, just some clear fluid and a bit of blood. He called in a sexual health nurse to look at my genitals, she looked using a big bright light and said it was just scarring. That I can believe... but I continue to worry about the ones on my chest. Any tiny spot on my body, for that matter. I don't think I can see the dimple in the ones on my chest and I compared a picture I took of the lesions in my genitals when I was first diagnosed and they don't look the same.. but I'm still worried sick. I constantly Google images of molluscum to compare with the ones on my chest and some look the same, some don't. I know it's not common for molluscum to come back... but still, I'm worried sick. I study my genitals every day for signs and I often find little red bumps that make me panic, but by the next day they've gone down and a hair has sprouted out. Even back in November when I last got it seen to the doctor said the lesions I had seemed to be healing up.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice and reassurance. I know it's not common for molluscum to come back and it's highly unlikely I've been reinfected, I haven't had sex since... and I know two different healthcare professionals have said don't worry... I do trust this GP... but it doesn't stop the anxiety. I found a little red bump on my bikini line last night and I think I can see a hair inside, its not dimpled and when i pull it i can see s little white bump underneath.. my bikini line is nearly always red and irritated... but all this reassuring myself just isn't working. Doctors really do underestimate the psychological impact this condition has. I think it's just that I never got spots on my chest before, none that I noticed anyway. I am stressed out and did just have a very heavy period a couple weeks back. I don't know if that might be part of it. Its got to the point where I'm constantly studying blemishes on others to compare them to my own. A lot of people seem to have spots that look like mine, which gives me some hope. I'm constantly googling this for reassurance and all I come across is horror stories of people having this for years. I just want my life back.

Any advice anyone can offer on whether this sounds like molluscum or if not how to manage the horrible anxiety it's left me with would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dream, 

?I was in the same boat as you.  Every little bump popped up, I would assume that is Molluscum.  I think you're just little bit overacted.  I used magnifying glass to have closer look.  Just monitor it to see if it changes in couple weeks.  Molluscum incubation period is around two weeks to a month.  During the incubation period, it's not contagious.  

• Posted

Hi Anrique

Thank you for your reply, and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! You're absolutely right that I'm still over-vigilant. Unfortunately I'm still suffering with the worry. I have been to my GP a couple of times since I made this post and both times got the all clear, no signs of the virus at all (I'm just spotty lol) and last time a suggestion to go to a sexual health clinic to truly put my mind at rest, which I am going to do tomorrow. The psychological effects of this virus are crazy!

GP said the chances of the virus coming back for anybody is very low unless reinfected. Hope this is as reassuring for others as it was for me.

Cheers again

Marz

• Posted

Glad to hear that you're in the clear.  Just make sure to inspect well before contact other partners.  I'm so relieve that this forum exists.  It helped me psychologically fighting these nasty bumps.  I'm still reading this daily just try to help others.

• Posted

Hi Anrique

?I've had the all clear for the third time today so I think I can put my mind totally at rest now - perhaps easier said than done but got some great reliable info today too which I am about to post about. You're right, this forum is awesome. I'm glad it helped you too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.