Molluscum Contagiosum

Posted , 13 users are following.

Is horrible!! my 4yr old got it. I am breaking my head thinking where she got it. Started with 2 little dots that she complaint where itching and a month later she has them all over her arm and half stomach. The pediatrician recommended IMIQUIMOD but that burned her skin so bad even though I applied one time to each thing. I went to the dermatologist and he took most of them out with a needle, my poor girl screamed so much that I was almost crying and screaming with her. I do not know what to do, she touches them cause it itches so bad that I am scared that she touches her face, eyes or genitals with her hand. I know that washing her hands is the solutions but its difficult when she goes to day care or I am not around.

I see her crying so much cause it itches and I do not know if they are pain full. HELP! someone has any recommendation for these things.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

in my experience they aren't painful but do itch quiet a bit.

right now i am using apple cider vinegar, applying it to a cotton ball and using a bandage to keep it over the infected area while i sleep at night.

i can tell you that the apple cider vinegar burns a little after being applied but for me it has helped calm down the itching as long as i wash the mc before i apply the acv and after i wake up

i am still waiting for results but this seems the way to go

best of luck

• Posted

Hi,

Molluscum itself doesn't normally itch, but is does over time tend to attract excema around the site, even if your child doesn't normally suffer from excema. This DOES itch, and in turn spreads the molluscum. See your GP, establish whether there is excema around the site and ask for Diprobase emollient cream and 0.1% hydrocortisone cream. The Diprobase should be applied several times a day to keep the skin well lubricated and the hydrocortsine applied when the skin is imflammed. Obtain colloidal silver and give this orally (1/2tsp three times a day), plus spray the lesions between cream applications. Continue for as long as it takes!

• Posted

Hello my 2 year old has a few bumps on his elbow. They are skin coloured. They don't look red or inflamed or pussy. Are there different looks to this virus? Just trying to see if its something else
  • Posted

Hi my two and a half year old has been diagnosed with mc sad. It started off with one spot near collar bone and has spread in that area and is now moving onto her cheek and under chin. I am distraught and not comforted that "there is nothing we can do" and it can take years to disappear. My husband has a low immune system and also caught a few. He applied apple cider vinegar and plasters and some went. Be interested to hear about any success stories. I have heard wheat grass cream may be effective so going to research into this. Good luck everyone.
    • Posted

My 7 year old daughter had more than 100 of them on her arms, legs, stomach and 3 spots in her face/eyelids.

It was so HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, the dermatologist froze them all off - 4-5 (mild) treatments and they were ALL gone. He even frose the ones on the eyelid with a special ice cold metal thingy.

Best of all was that it did not hurt much because we gave her some kind of painkilling creme on the spots under occlusion 2 houers before the treatment.

She had red marks for 6-9 months after the treatment but now - a year after the last treatment - they are all completeley gone. 

Only one minor (you dont notice it unless you loock for it) scar was left on the back of her leg - but this is from removing 100 spots!

I totally recommend the dermatologist

• Posted

Hi,

I was infected with Molluscum Contagiosum. At first it was just one appeared in april and I didnt think anything of it. Then this summer they spread and I became concerned. Once it was confirmed that the infection was Molluscum Contagiosum I researched at home treatments. Every website recommended tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar. I tried everything and even invested in some tea tree oil body wash. All this did was stop the virus from spreading more but nothing disappeared. Many are fimiliar with Sudocrem, an antiseptic healing cream for surface cuts and rashes. I had this on hand and figured it couldnt hurt to try it. That was one week ago. Now I only have about 3 spots left which are rapidly disappearing as well. I strongly recommend anyone with the virus to use Sudocrem. Just apply a good amount to the infected area. Good luck!

• Posted

My daughter had this when she was 4 for about a year before I found out how to get rid of them, I was told they would go away on their own but they don't tell you it can take 4 years for that to happen, they were mainly on her neck, took her to doc he prescribed wart ointment which I put on them, they eventually would go away but didn't stop more coming as was advised to only do a few at a time so as they were disappearing there were new ones appearing and the ointment turned them scabby and horrible etc so she was really paranoid and upset about them, it would also leave a small scar where they had been, she got one on her eyelid so took her back to the doc as couldn't put this ointment on her eye, seen a different doc, she pricked it with a hypodermic needle, within a day or two it had gone, I bought hypodermic needles and pricked the rest of them two or three at a time and within 2 weeks they had all gone and have not returned, no scarring, apparently if you damage the centre of them it kills them, so there you go, pretty easy solution considering the length of time she had to suffer these things and pain it caused her to have them. I hope this helps (you can buy hypodermic needles on ebay for a couple of pounds for a pack of them)
  • Posted

Many thanks Roseanne for your helpful post. I am currently using Sudocrem on my daughter religiously and it seems to be helping but she continues to get more and more of the molluscums. They are spreading up her neck onto her jawline now so I think I might try the hypodermic needles. Did you have to squeeze out the infection or just kill the centre using the needle? I have a feeling that unless I do something this horrible infection is here to stay. My daughter has had hers nearly a year now (started with one for over 6 months) and she has at least 20 spots.
  • Posted

Hi Katy I just gave them a quick prick with a needle and didn't squeeze out the middle, it bled a little so have a tissue or wipe on hand, I didn't even let her see the needle (or tried) I just lay her on my knee on the couch and my husband tried to distract her as much as possible, it was a much easier procedure than what she had been going through trying to use the ointment then squeeze them, it was horrible for her and me. I hope you get rid of these for your daughter xx
  • Posted

One word......Cimetidine! Also known as Tagamet,an oral over the counte stomach medicine. It apparently works as a histamine blocker & by boosting the bodies immune response to the m.c. My twins both had molluscum, my daughter had a mild case but my sons rapidly spread into a horrid mess! Started liquid cimetidine orally & within 6 weeks they were gone! It was seriously unbelievable. Hope this helps others (you can ask your Dr. for liquid form for children. It's been a life saver. Good luck!
    • Posted

How did you hear of cimetidine? From a doctor? What about other histamine blockers? 
    • Posted

This was through researching and other people had recommended it. I was going to go down this route after the hyperdermic needles but thankfully it has been successful.
  • Posted

Thank you for your post we are currently following the hyperdermic needle approach (whilst asleep) and Chinese herbal medicine immune boosting teas and cleansing herbs. Will report back soon. My daughter had a severe case of chicken pox and thereafter got bad case of mc. She has well over thirty spots hoping to reduce these ASAP with above combination treatment.
    • Posted

How did the pricking of MC go? My son has this for 6 months now, all over his legs. A nightmare. 
    • Posted

Hi it a horrid skin infection I tried absolutely everything from Epsom salt baths, sudocrem, tea tree oil, Chinese herbal medicine (immune boosting tea and liver cleanse).  The only thing that worked was the size 19 hypodermic needles. The only way to get rid of them was to do a few a night whilst daughter slept so not to cause any distress.  All but one tiny one is left (she had 35 plus)! the spots are on the surface so you don't need to pierce the skin underneath just open the spot and kill the yellow centre. I then left them to scan over. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks off your reply. I've been scratching them off my sons legs. (Dermatologist advised this) and applying tea tree oil and iodine., my idea.  It's messy and his legs look horrible after 3 days of this. Maybe I'll try the needle sounds less traumatic. It's so bad,sad  poor guy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.