Molluscum is spreading rapidly - 22 year old healthy female

Posted , 5 users are following.

About two weeks ago (mid September) I started noticing a couple of bumps around my genital area. At first I thought they were just ingrown hairs so I didn't think much of it but then last week, Sept 27, I felt some growth on my labia. That's when I freaked out and went to see a gynecologist. I was told that it was molluscum contagiosum and I was prescribed imiquimod cream to apply 3x a week on the bumps. 

Just a day after I saw my gyno, I started noticing bumps appearing everywhere- on my stomach, back, legs, arms, neck. There are literally HUNDREDS of bumps ALL OVER MY BODY. I haven't been scratching them but they are so IRRITATING AND ITCHY, especially at night when I'm just laying there. I think I might go crazy honestly. It's affecting my face a little bit, there's some texture on my forehead and on my chin but they're not so much bumps, just textured and itchy. 

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON MY SITUATION? WHY ARE THERE HUNDREDS AND WHY ARE THEY SPREADING SO RAPIDLY? From the research I've done online, only people with weak immune systems get it this severe. I am praying to god that that is not the case for me because I think I'm pretty healthy, I exercise at least 5x a week and I don't eat like s**t.

I'm trying to schedule an appointment to see a dermatologist soon since it's all over my skin now sad But I am just freaking out idk what to do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All immune systems can get them. The problem is MC spreads after touching them, then touching another part of your body, reusing a towel, putting clothes back on, that were worn etc. it shows up anywhere on the body. It will go away in 3-6 months. One needs to die, then the immune system gets reved up. Cuterage is the quickest way to get them out. This is when the doc scrapes them. The area will not scar, it will just get red for a few weeks after. This is called inflammatory pigmentation. Then it will go completely back to normal. I had mollusvum for 6 months all over. Just get them cut as soon as you see them, a doc will work with you on this, cause they know. Go to a derm. I was getting them cut every week for 3 months. Even if you don't do anything they will eventually go away. But this can take longer then 6 months. They always 100 percent of the time go away. It's just frustrating having them. I bugged out too, but as time goes on, it gets significantly better 

• Posted

Can we have an update??? I'm in this exact boat, I'm not touching them, I change my sheets and clothes like crazy, never RE wear dirty clothes, I take every precaution. And it's still spreading bad sad

• Posted

OMG do I feel your pain. I had this for almost three years. I am a very healthy and active person in her 30s. I was single at the time and it appeared shortly after a trip to st Maarten so I believe I got it from a pool. At first I noticed some bumps on my genitals and areas where my bathing f suit rubbed. Chest Beck and back area. I also prob spread it by reusing my towel before I realized I had it. It was a nightmare in the beginning. I cleared up my vagina by acv and band aids. Unfortunately my chest I could not resist and popped. I also manage to get such an itchy rash and hives along w the chest scum. As if feeling gross is the enough now I had to suffer physically as well. I finally cleared that area about five months ago. I still am not sure if I am out of the water. My molluscum except for a couple never had a dimple and looked exactly like zits. So now I've always had back zit issues and now I'm not sure if they are zits or random molluscum. I swear k have PTSD and feel like this will always be part of my life. I am 95 percent sure I am done though but f**k I should be after 3 years. Unfortunately my partner got it and she has a horrible outbreak on her back and she's less neurotic about it so she just let's it be. She's going on two year w this s**t. I don't know wtf doctors are talking about that this stuff just disappears. Mine only left after three years with insane determination and trying everything possible. Now months later I still fear every little red mark and I fear catching it back from my partner. I make her sleep in full length sleeves and long pants so we don't transfer to sheets or each other when we cuddle. And unfortunately any hooking up is never carefree and messy. We have to be very careful and then make sure to wash all sheets in hot water the next day. God damn I miss my life when I had no idea this f*****g virus existed. Good luck to everyone. Having this as an adult sucks beyond belief. It does get better and it slows down. I've slowly gotten rid of my neurotic behaviors. Checking skin 24_7. Wiping my body down w tea tree or acv. Washing my hands after any slight touch to my own skin. The list goes on. I even used to blow dry my skin instead of using a towel. That seems so insane now but I was so scared to spread it. Now I am just very careful w how I dry off and I use a clean towel every shower. Sorry for so many words but this does t even touch the bull I've had to deal with for three years. This virus is everything but benign.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.