Mom is in endstage copd. She's just turned 51. Sleeps alot more very weak fast heart rate.

Posted , 9 users are following.

She is on 2 of oxygen. Wakes up with headaches. Anxiety Depression

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi jerali

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mom is 84 and in end stage copd also has pulmonary fibrosis. Sleeps a lot and very weak fast heart rate also had heart attach and some mini strokes a year ago .

• Posted

Waking with headaches could be a symptom of high c02 so please mention this to her respiratory nurse because if it is that she may need to use a machine when she sleeps. If it is high c02 raising her oxygen could make it worse so please do not adjust or alter her oxygen in any way without getting permission from her medical team. Call her respiratory nurse as soon as you can and please take care of yourself too. Best wishes AJ
    • Posted

Thanks for responding back. My mom already uses a cpap at night. She is just miserable. I just want to know if she needs hospice. She can hardly make it to the bathroom because she's so weak and sick. Can't keep up on housework anymore because its too much for her. She has bad indigestion, nausea, that's making it that much worse. Her quality of life is not good..

• Posted

The hospice question is one for the doctors. I wish there were something more substantive and hopeful to offer, but none of us can diagnose ourselves, much less anyone else.
  • Posted

My father had copd as well as I have it now too.  When he was end stage he slept all the time.   For him the doctor said because breathing is taking all his energy he was exhausted.  He also could not sleep at night in a nice steady sleep so that did not help.  Not getting air also feels like you have been beaten or in a bad wreck, so it caused pain and he needed pain medicine.  That made him tired.  I never understood that one unlit I had my first reel bad bought of an attack of symptoms for days.  I felt like someone had beat me with a stick all over.  It was very painful not having enough oxygen in the blood.  I just was so tired and wanted to sleep.  
    • Posted

She sleeps on and off all day. And at night she can not sleep. They just put her on a heart pillage and she has been having bad indigestion. For a while now she has been suffering with nausea headaches fast heart rate and alot more. I am just wandering if its near the end for her. I don't want her to suffer at all. Her GP in April told me when mom was admitted. That she only had 6 months he'd be surprised.

• Posted

so sorry for you and your mum 51 is so young to be that bad i am 62 and i thought that i shouldnt be on steriods and antibiotics so much but when i hear that i feel for her no wonder your mum is depressed so horrible and i feel for her x

• Posted

Has she been checked for alpha one antitrypsin deficency? This is usually the cause of someone this young with lung problems as severe as this, its genetically inherited liver, lung disease, please get her to ask for the test....
    • Posted

Yes they checked already. They said she is a carrier of the gene.and that is why she got it so early.
  • Posted

Your Mom should check back with her doctor concerning these symptoms for ongoing monitoring.

Sounds like the oxygen may need adjusting, the 02 supplier can advise also on oxygen specifics.

I note you mention she has alpha1, in this case all her children and siblings should be tested for same so that early diagnosis and treatment can be forthcoming for other members of the family.

Its difficult to advise you further I  think you may be in the US, correct me if I am wrong (the spelling of Mom)  

Get in touch with the lung foundation in the the country you reside and also the alpha1 antytripsin site / contact in the country you are living for further help and advice on this matter.

For those living in UK, that will be the British Lung Foundation which will have a link to the alpha1 site recommendation in UK, just search the BLF site for alpha1 information.  the link the BLF can be found from this page:

https://www.blf.org.uk/

Patient UK info on Alpha1  -  https://patient.info/health/alpha-1-antitrypsin-deficiency-leaflet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.