Mom not made to stand on Day 1, afraid of DVT

Posted , 14 users are following.

My 62yo mom had her THR surgery today which took over 3 hours as she had DDH and a weak bone structure in her left hip. She was given epidural anesthesia and was fine all day after the surgery except a vomit after her first mouth intake of tea and biscuit.

However, unlike many THRs, the doc said they'll make her stand/walk the next morning. Because of this, I'm scared of DVT now. Although they're giving her blood thinners and put some 24/7 blood circulator belts on both her legs (calves I think) and the doc advised her ankle motion exercise on both legs and some other exercise to push the operated leg's thigh downwards and back up (she was having difficulty/pain doing that).

So basically, she's fine with the pain, etc but they didn't make her leg mobile today itself. Did all of you guys stand on Day 1 itself?

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the leg pumps whilst in hospital, no stockings at any time, I am on day 19.

They tend to get you out of bed on the operation day if your surgery is complete in the morning, or on day 1 (the day after your op) if surgery is completed after 12 noon.

• Posted

No not the first day on any of my THR .

your mom will ge bee as she begins to heel. Keep up with exercises and soon she will be ok. Even driving and shopping again.

it takes usually a few months to build up muscle and the inplant components to become secure as he bone grows around it.

this is major surgery everyone takes different heeling times 

she he is very lucky to have you. You sound like a very loving and caring daughter.

• Posted

Son... Love that you care so much about ur mothers well being thru this very difficult time for her and family.

she is very lucky to have such a wonderful son ! biggrin

• Posted

Hi neville:

I am the same age as your mom and am 10 weeks post op from my rthr and going in for m lthr in 18 more days. They didn't make me stand or walk the first day either. I also was on blood thinners and had the pumps on my calves to help with circulation. Most of the people in the hospital at the same time I was didn't walk the same day but the next day. I suppose if a surgery is really early in the am they may make some people walk. I think some depends on the age, circumstances. Also like your mom my surgery was over three hours, almost 4 because my hip was so severe and the doctor also found a fracture while doing my surgery. Hope this helps to ease your mind...Wishing you and your mom well....Barb

• Posted

Barbie I apoligize if I asked yu already, now that I see how long yur surgery was may I ask ( probably again) did you have GA or spinal? thank you love
    • Posted

Hi Annette: I had the GA, they couldn't give me a spinal because of multi-level spinal stenosis. So because of this I am sure when I have my next one on the 12th of next month it will be GA again. How are you doing? Hope all is well for you....Hugs...Barb

• Posted

Hi Neville, how is your mom doing today? I am sure they will have her up and moving some. 

My recovery is going ok as far as the rthr, my problem is that the left is still really bad and causes constant pain making it difficult to walk normal and function well. I will be happy to have it all behind me soon that is for sure. Wishing you and your mom well...Barb

• Posted

Hi dear Barbie,

Mom is doing better, they made her do Physio twice today. Plus I'm making her do the exercises (mainly ankle) several times. She gets pain during getting up etc so I'm hoping that is normal.

I pray your next surgery goes smoothly. Xx

• Posted

I can't even imagine a new hip and dealing with the unsteadiness and pain that goes with a hip needing to be done. I am going ( two weeks from today) for left hip and hoping to get by for right till next year it is not bone on hone yet). Praying for you in your recovery Barb and getting that left one done xoxoxo

• Posted

Thanks Annette; wishing you luck and a speedy recovery with yours also. I will be just 5 days behind you getting mine done on the 12th. At least they are getting me in quickly, within one week I had my approval and surgery date all set, so no complaints there. Hugs...Barb
    • Posted

Yep sounds very normal to me neville, it will get better. Is a slow process the first two weeks are definitely the worst, but after that she will notice improvements. Glad she is up and moving and seems to be doing ok...wishing you both well....Barb
    • Posted

You can't complain about that!!  I am happy for you, you going with spinal? I am thinking about this non stop!

huggsss

• Posted

No spinal for me Annette the will give me a general anesthesia again because of multi-level spinal stenosis so I can't have the spinal....I wish I could have it......Hugs to you....

• Posted

I am so sorry Barb, You told me that, still learning everyone and their situation, apologies, I have it straight now!! xo
    • Posted

No need to apologize Annette, hard to remember everyone and each situation...lol....xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.