Mom not made to stand on Day 1, afraid of DVT

Posted , 14 users are following.

My 62yo mom had her THR surgery today which took over 3 hours as she had DDH and a weak bone structure in her left hip. She was given epidural anesthesia and was fine all day after the surgery except a vomit after her first mouth intake of tea and biscuit.

However, unlike many THRs, the doc said they'll make her stand/walk the next morning. Because of this, I'm scared of DVT now. Although they're giving her blood thinners and put some 24/7 blood circulator belts on both her legs (calves I think) and the doc advised her ankle motion exercise on both legs and some other exercise to push the operated leg's thigh downwards and back up (she was having difficulty/pain doing that).

So basically, she's fine with the pain, etc but they didn't make her leg mobile today itself. Did all of you guys stand on Day 1 itself?

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.

I did not stand on zimmer frame till day two due to low bp.

I did not have any stockings at all or on discharge.

Policy at my place was the flotron bootees until fully mobile several times per day (this for me was day5).

I had daily injections of lmwh , tinzaparin from day 2 and continued until 4wks post operatively.

Please remember Neville this site can give you fabulous support and advice but your mums case is unique.

Each pt, surgeon and hospital will have its own regimes, policies and techniques.

So remember this when asking how and what mym should be doing. We are all different.

She needs to follow her physio and eat/drink well.

Keep up with pain relief and her anti thrimbus practice too.

Shes done well and wish her luck with progress but shes got you looking out for her 😊😊😊

• Posted

I had a RTHR on the 21st. I was out of surgery at 1:00 and was standing doing side steps 8:00 pm. They never put any stockings on me but did have the leg pumps on until early the next morning. By 10am the 22nd they had me walking to the door of the room. I was out of the hospital on the 24th. I am on blood thinners for a month at home and have had no trouble doing the leg pumps which they had me doing constantly. Every place sounds like they do a different practise. I am in Canada.
  • Posted

I also did not move around in the hospital the next day as much as I thought I would. I had so much leg weakness and felt dizzy and nauseous from the narcotic pain killers and was worried about not moving too quickly. But with the support stockings, blood thinners and ankle pumps machine, everything turned out. Just make sure your mom keeps doing the ankle pump exercises in bed. . Pulling her toes forwards and backwards. All that will help to prevent DVT and everything should be fine. Good luck to mom for a successful outcome.
  • Posted

hi neville, 

Please note that the responses are coming from personal experiences and as you can see, so different at times -

seems as if every hospital, surgeon etc. have their own protocol and procedures regarding post-op care ...

I had no stockings, no belts or pumps - just bloodthinners injected in belly to be continued for 6 weeks - 

Physical therapist came next day/morning and got me out of bed, stand, walk to hallway and back, had to sit in chair for one hour , back to bed --- 

was shown how to foot pumps and ankle rotations - other bed exercises were given upon discharge ..

Today will be interesting for her -- very exciting -

try to not worry too much - she is in good hands ...

big warm hug for both of you

renee

• Posted

hi neville,  

just checking in and see how your mom is doing .... is she sleeping okay?

I was in the hospital for 5 days/4 nights - will you be taken care of her at home?  how wonderful that she as you with her on this journey ...

the "pain" is different from the OA bone-on-bone pain but it is major surgery ... have you watched the video on youtube? not for the squeemish though but there is a 3d animated version as well - 

Maybe she'd like to participate in the discussions here on the forum - 

you know you can come here anytime you have a question or concern, right?

big warm hug for both of you

renee

• Posted

Hi renee

Yes thanks- she's doing fine but gets a lot of "movement" pain at the op hip when trying to get out of bed and back during her physio, and also likes to sleep all the time. She is fussy about eating/drinking water as she has a habit of feeling bloated/vomitish from before if she eats/drinks more. They'll remove the epidural tomorrow. So I'm worried about all the pain.

• Posted

So today the Physio got her out of bed, standing with most weight on good leg, and walked few steps. She was in some pain when moving the operated hip for doing all this, otherwise fine later.

Doc said they'll keep her for 5-6 days (atleast) because recovery will obv take little longer in her case. He also told her to do:

1) Ankle rotations

2) Up/down left/right of op leg

3) Buttock squeeze

4) Knee squeeze (not sure how to do this)

Thanks for all your prayers.

• Posted

Great to hear she is starting exercising. The more she moves however slowly the better the heeling and mental attitude will rise.

so important for her to see improvement. She can progress daily and surly will.

• Posted

Ty so much. She gets a little demoralized when she gets a lot of pain when moving that op hip for anything and tries going back to sleep sad

• Posted

Is she on pain meds regularly. It's should help control the pain.

she ma start to wear special com pressure shock on the op leg. This is major surgery and it's takes time to adjust to al the discomfort and routine.mshe should be up soon learning how to use a walker go up steps and get in and out of bed properly. There are several movement restriction for the first few weeks. 

• Posted

After dressing the wound and removing epidural/catheter, doc said she doesn't need those blood circulation pump bands on her legs anymore.. And can sit on a raised toilet seat..

But she's in a lot of discomfort/uneasiness (no pain) today.. She cannot even raise the op leg up and down or sideways on her own, forget getting out of the bed

• Posted

So glad Mom is up!!
    • Posted

Hiya knee squeeze lay flat foot pointing upwards press knee down into bed xx so glad mum is up and about and has a lovely caring son like you to help:-) xx
    • Posted

Ty so much Vanessa.. By mistake, I made her do those exercises with backrest of bed in 45 degree (half sitting) position after lunch. Wasn't sure if all these exercises are supposed to be done while completely flat , partially flat or sitting.

• Posted

on her on back in her bed, please neville,. ...especially the first couple of weeks. ..I am not a physical therapist but had 2 THR surgeries. ..it should not ever hurt...

There is no gain in having pain post-op thr surgery. .everything is so fragile and needs time to heal first.

It is all about pain control in the beginning ..purpose is to get you moving with the least pain ...There will be discomfort, stiffness, soreness and some pain but not so much that she cannot move. ..

a lot of healing is taking place while she is sleeping. .she is probably exhausted. ...

no rest in the hospital though ....😨

• Posted

Oh she walked half the hallway with the Physio later today without any pain ... Looks like the painkiller they gave her before the Physio eliminated all the pain
    • Posted

Wonderful news! Slow but steady, glad Mom is a bit better and on the move! blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.