Momentary Loss of Peripheral Vision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my name is Kevin and I am 24 year old.  For the past 2 months I've had many crazy symtpoms inluding vision disturbances.  The vision problems started after noticing I had dim light aniscoria and freaking out about it.  I had flashing lights when my eyes were closed and occasionaly I would have part of my vision in my left eye blocked for ~5 minutes.  This has basically gone, but now I notice that my right eye seems slightly dimmer and sees less red (this is not all of the time and its difficult to notice).  

However, my current issue that disturbes me is momentary peripheral vision loss in what I think to be both eyes but possibly just my left eye.  When I say "momentary" I mean a quarter to half of a second.  Some days I don't notice it at all, some days it happens 10-20 times.  I don't have any symtpoms that flare at the same time, before, or after.  It also seems there isn't anything that triggers it, like running up a flight of stairs doesn't cause it to start. I have noticed lights around me actually dimming and it freaks me out as the effect is essentially the same.  

I have had 2 ekgs, cbc blood test, opthamaologit visit, ct scan, and mri.  Everything has been normal.

Most of my symtpoms have gone incluing dizziness leaving this vision problem and an apparent left side weakness (although I am not weak according to 2 doctors and self strength tests).

Could this be a blood flow issue?  The neurologist thought it could be migrains/ocular migraines.  Maybe I'm just blinking :p

I am 170lbs at 6' and ~120/80 bp.

Final note: I have had very bad anxiety from these medical issues that has caused shaking, chest pains, headaches ec... and I have been stressed out at work after missing so much time.

Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Most of the Docs have cleared you and that should be a matter of satisfaction. I appreciate that some sort of problem can be there when one doesn't feel comfortable. You may wish to go over your own routine if at all that is creating such a tension/problem. However you may keep watching your situation and then going to relevant Docs again if so required. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

I am not a doctor but it sounds to me that you may have two separate issues:possible inter-related; ocular migraine and more serious possible TIA  or stroke.  I would get to a neurologist and cardiologist quickly.  In the interim call your doc today and ask if you may have had a small stroke describing the left sided weakness and then the eye symptoms.  This shouldn't wait for workup.  Not trying to scare you but I strongly believe time is critical here.  I've been in healthcare 36 years although not as a physician.

• Posted

Hi Jeannae, thanks for the reponse.  I thought TIAs produce sudden symtpoms that include headaches, loss of vision in one eye, and one sided weakness, that do not last more than one day.  My weakness was gradual, over a day or two, and has been essentially conistent since then.  Also I though MRIs can see if you had a stroke due to the damage it causes to the brain.  Also my headaches went away after I found out my MRI was negative.  Now my neck feels funny because I think it could be a carotid artery problem! My anxiety is terrible.

I'm also not at risk for strokes as I have never smoked, have diabetes, etc...

I will still try and see a cardiologist as soon as I can.

Thanks

• Posted

I will also add that at no point in the last 2 months have I had any cognitive issues, even when I felt my worst.
  • Posted

The test they frequently do is a MRA NOT MRI.  It looks at vessels in head and neck to determine if there is a blockage.  It is magnetic resonance angiogram.  Good luck.  Hold thoughts of a positive outcome and try to envision that potentiality.  Above all, stay calm.  If you know your body and feel something is wrong "find a way or make one".  Leave no stone unturned!  Holding good thoughts for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.