Mona lisa touch procedure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Wondering about this procedure, im 57, in menapause but problem started about 7 yrs ago with a painful spot that felt like rope burn. Over the years ive tried medications, pelvic PT, dialators, lidocane, estring and lubes, with no relief. Its called vestybuldynia that is mostly provoked. Meaning now, its really impossible to have sex. New gyno recommended this procedure, maybe some new hope...?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I had it done and it was life changing. Had uti’s constantly.  Now recently had the Diva procedure  which was more intense and hope lasts longer.  I had 3 Mona Lisa’s then a touch up after a year. Then 8 months later the diva. As I age (73). Need more often. 
  • Posted

What you have is a form of vulvodynia. I thought the Mona Lisa Touch procedure was for atrophic vaginitis that improves the condition of the vaginal wall. Vulvodynia is a condition of the nerves in which they are overactive and hypersensitive and register touch as pain. I had vulvodynia in 2013. It took me two years to cure it. I used several different treatments at the same time but the most effective was amitriptyline combined with western acupuncture, both of which act to dampen down the overactive hypersensitive nerves. Manual desensitisation also helps to retrain the nerves to register touch as touch and not pain. The is also a special gel which acts on the nerves made of natural plant extracts called saginil gel - I found that soothing and helped make the pain more tolerable while the amitriptyline and acupuncture gradually did their work. I have known people to have the affected skin cut away and that still didn’t help, so I am not sure how much the Mona Liza Touch would help. 

If you want to read my full story of how I cured my vulvodynia I have posted it in the vulvodynia discussion group. Others have posted their stories too.

• Posted

Thanks, where do u get the saginal gel?

I've tried oral meds and cant tolerate them cause of the side effects but i have heard amitriptyline does work well. I am going to have a consult in Jan with a urologist to see if im a good candidate. Vestybulectomy is out of the question. I figured it wont hurt to at least have a consult but yes, my issue is burning, not atrophy. I also have mild LS. but that's not the problem.

• Posted

I had intolerable constant burning, couldn’t sleep and couldn’t function properly on a daily basis. I had problems with side effects with amitriptyline but the consultant told me that I needed to be on 50-70mg for it to be effective. I found that if I increased the dose by 5mg every two weeks, my body adapted to it better with no side effects. I had to cut the 10mg tablets in half. I will private message you where to get the saginil gel - the moderators usually delete it.
    • Posted

I checked, no longer on amazon. I dont think it will help for burning nerve pain. It says its a cure for bv
    • Posted

You can by it direct from the manufacturer in Italy and pay by PayPal. The postage is expensive but it is worth it. I private messaged the online shop to you.

It is “for topical use for the symptomatic treatment of pruritus, burning sensation, irritation, painfulness, dyspareunia in cases of vulvovaginitis, bacterial vaginosis, contact vulvitis, vulvar vestibulitis, vulvodynia”. It treats the burning symptoms caused by those various conditions. The active ingredients are all found in plants. Quercetin helps stabilise the cells that release histamine in the body and thereby have an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine effect. Phytosphingosine reduces inflammatory skin damage. Adelmidrol is used to treat chronic inflammation and moderates mast cell hyper-reactivity. Mast cells are part of the immune system and in conditions like vulvodynia the mast cells are overactive and release too many of their chemicals. Vulvodynia and vestybuldynia are a form of small fibre neuropathic pain which is very difficult to treat. Saginil gel is specifically designed to treat this.

From the same manufacturer you can buy pelvilen forte which contains Palmitoylethanolamide (‘PEA’), a natural body-own compound used for the treatment of chronic pain and chronic inflammation. PEA has been demonstrated to bind to a receptor in the cell-nucleus and exert a great variety of biological functions related to chronic pain and inflammation. It is considered as a breakthourgh in the treament of chronic pain. I also took pelvilen (oral tablets). 

• Posted

Hi I have just seen your post and I am interested in buying this product thinking and hoping it might help my VA if you could send me the link yo their website, I will do some research into what you have just written I know that your posts have been very informative and helped me in the past many thanks
  • Posted

The doc is like the Mona Lisa but more intense.  Laser to vagina tissue. 
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy about 12 months ago and I have tried everything, HRT, natural approach, etc I then had the Mona Lisa procedure carried out and I cannot recommend this procedure enough, as you are probably aware it is non invasive and in my case the only answer to pain free sex, obviously not the answer to lack of oestrogen etc  It is such ashame it is not more widely available in the Uk, I have learned so much from these forums and by doing my own research for me now it is just a combination of different approaches including this ML procedure and trying to use as little HRT as possible I can't recommend this procedure enough obviously depending first on the correct diagnosis of the problem initially, hope you find some answers, your definition of the pain as rope burn really struck a chord with me as this would be my way too of describing this condition in its entirety.

• Posted

Kathrine26445, you said u had the atrophy, just wondering if u had the rope burn feeling as well, and if you also have lichen schlerosis? I do have that but thought it was a,seperate issue. I control the LS with clob ointment once a week which stops the itch, but ive not been able to get rid of the rope burn pain which is vestybuldynia.
    • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with VA and I have no itching but the rope burning feeling not sure if associated with a UTI as I have never gone down this route when the familiar burning gets too much to bear I ask for a prescription of vagifem which works but ideally I would like to avoid this HRT although topical
    • Posted

Hi I have seen this LS on these forums but I have no idea what it is I have only seen a Gyn once and she just said I have VA which I presumed was in some way responsible for the burning sensation which seems to subside after taking Vagifem .
    • Posted

LS is lichen sclerosis, a skin issue which for me causes extreme itch. I use clobetesol ointment 1x a week which controls it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.