Mona Lisa touch reviews

Edited , 52 users are following.

I had my third treatment 10 days ago. No uti since I started like 3 months ago. BUT now pain n stinging. Thought uti but tested not. Uncomfortable for a week. Even used prep h to try to stop painted it actually work for a while I'm also doing the ice cubes… So anybody out there can share their experience with me I sure would appreciate it

1 like, 324 replies

Report / Delete

324 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Nancy.....so sorry you are having pain again. I've heard that they sometimes really go heavy duty on the 3rd treatment. Could it be that you are just healing? I'm getting my 1st treatment Tues. morning, and I'm really nervous and having second thoughts. I'm about 90% improved with the Estrace 3x a week, supplemented with coconut oil. Just hoping to get near normal and not have to wear pads and treat every day. I mainly hope that it doesn't make me worse!! Seems like EVERY gyn office is now offering it, where it was just several big cities that had it last year at this time. At least there will be a lot of us getting it done now most likely. Wouldn't be so bad if it doesn't work if insurance had paid for it! Will be hoping you start feeling better real soon. You were the best success story
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In about 2 weeks I will be having my 3rd treatment. I've had very little change for the better. More change in not a good way, not sure if I made the wright choice on doing this. You spoke about (I'm about 90% improved with the Estrace 3x a week, supplemented with coconut oil ) what is this and how does it help?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

Called to schedule my treatment one year after tongibd the quote doctor gave me a year ago doubled from 500 to 1000. They know we have no alternative. Have to do it as it worked for me but need theconecyear later treatment. Will let you know how it goes

Hope you're feeling relief soon

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Peg. Can you please tell us how you are using the coconut oil as supplement.  Sounds like something many of us need to know.  Thank you.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was using Estrace cream 3x a week which was when I finally started to feel some relief. Had been on it 2x a week for months and no improvement. The coconut oil is sold with the cooking oils in every grocery store. It's a solid like Crisco, but liquefies when warm. I just used it all over the outside areas (can also be inserted vaginally), as it's really soothing, and also has anti bacterial properties which help as well. I would have been comfortable with this routine before the Mona Lisa, but it has to be constantly maintained...skip one time, and symptoms flair😩!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh, no. Try not to get too down. Maybe Peg is correct and the 3rd treatment is the strongest. So no UTI but are you having vaginal issues? Is that what you're using prep H for? Never heard of using that vaginally. Please try to keep your spirits up. Did your doctor give you any warning that this might happen after the last treatment? Hope things improve very soon.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm sure it is discouraging, but hopefully it's a reaction to a stronger treatment and will pass as you heal. Why else would it not have happened after the first two? Couldn't find any info on the treatment strength being increased. Also can't find any risks other than complications with mesh surgery.

Did you get to speak with the doctor today? Maybe he could prescribe a small amount of pain meds till you heal.

I have been off this site for a while. has anyone else reported problems with it? When I google it now there is a whole lot of info that wasn't there last summer. Guess it has hit the US big time. Not surprised. That's why I think there's a chance insurance will be forced to cover it sooner than later.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am feeling better. Didn't go to doctor today. My doc said many studies will have to be done before insurance approves. Will wait awhile and report progress. Can't take pain anymore. It's been too many years.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glad to hear it's gotten better. Did you get to find out if the 3rd treatment was stronger than the 1st two? Maybe it's like having a tooth pulled. My memory of that was it felt horrendous immediately afterward, but much better after a couple of days. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, but I'm pretty much convinced this is going to be the salvation of many a woman...and you are one of them!

If they will be conducting actual studies, maybe some of us can volunteer to be part of the studies and have it done at no cost (?)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ladies

I had a total of four treatments - all six weeks apart -and not successful yet.

The third treatment was definitely stronger, I felt the "pinch" if I can call it that...

I never had any swelling, but always felt a tiny bit of burn, especially after the third treatment. However, I continued to have the itching burning vaginally and in the vulvar area even after the third treatment.

My gynocologist has given me the fourth treatment on Aug. 16th, 2019, and it was much stronger than the third treatment, it hurt a bit each time he applied the laser on the vulvar area. I did have swelling and burning in the vulvar area immediately afterward.

I still have itching/picking from time to time but I guess it's too soon to see results, since I'm a difficult case anyhow.

I was told to give it time, maybe another 2 to 3 months to see if the collagen starts to regenerate again.

I heard so many ladies have excellent results, some right from the first treatment, but I wasn't so lucky so far....I'm praying that this fourth treatment does the trick for me.

I wonder why my body is slower to react to the laser treatment and others have immediate results???

I don't want to take estrogen and will have to resort back to natural supplements if this treatment don't work.

Desperate too....

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

marilyn, I had to look back to try to remind myself of your situation, but couldn't find but 2 posts.

Were you getting the ML for atrophy or LS (or both)? You certainly have hung there with repeated treatments.

I assume your dr is examining you before each treatment. Has he proceeded with the treatments hoping to see improvement or because he has actually seen some? It sounds as though you have felt none.

Do you not want to use hormone cream because you have had cancer in the past? I also was avoiding the cream due to my sister's estrogen dependent breast cancer, but now I have no other option. The cream has really been quite effective. My more serious problem is the LS.

Thank you for posting. It's really important that we share our experiences with each other. There's a lot some doctors seem reluctant to discuss.

Hope you do start to feel an improvement after all you've been through with the ML.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Had 1 treatment 3 months ago and am just now starting to feel back to normal. Pelvic pain and urinary symptoms. Now seeing a urologist who is on the ball. I do not recommend this treatment. Nancy, my thought is time will heal
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

inga, did you have the procedure because of UTI's, vaginal problems or both? Sorry to hear it caused you problems. When you say back to normal are you now noticing improvement over your pretreatment condition or back to the normal being back to square one so to speak?

Please let us know what your doctors have to say. We have to get this info from each other as doctors don't typically go into great detail and I believe very often don't follow up with their own patients. One would think a follow up call should be required after most appointments where procedures are done or meds are prescribed. How else do they know if it something that works?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Burning after third treatment lasted for three weeks. Has subsided somewhat I had Uti's and vaginal burning n pain. It is better than it was. No Uti's since treatments Will report when I see doctor. Docs don't have much more input. Just treat with creams.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Beverly,

Prior to procedure I only had painful intercourse. After 1 treatment I had pelvic pain, vaginal burning and urinary symptoms that my gyn said was cystitis caused by procedure. After being put on so many meds, creams etc... The pelvic pain is very slight and vaginal burning is better. I have been dealing with this for over 3 months but have faith that time will heal and my pain will all be gone

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Estrace, vesicare, medrol dose pack, coconut oil....and my symptoms are getting better. I plan on being on none of it by mid may as I am not big on meds but could not handle the pain any longer. I hope this helps and keep talking with me. We will get there!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am glad your symptoms are better. Its a long road. Have had this issue for 6 years many urologists and gyns. Every good day is appreciated. Uti's have subsided so grateful for that. Glad your regime is working
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do you think in your case 2 treatments was what was needed instead of 3? Were you feeling cured (normal) after the 2nd? Perhaps you needed more healing time between 2 and 3. I can't remember...was yours part of a study? How new is the doctor at doing it? Sorry for all the questions. You can see what sort of a doctor I'd be!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

inga, doesn't it seem odd that a vaginal laser treatment would cause a bladder infection? I wonder why that was. Do they put you on an anti-biotic after the ML treatment? I have a relative who just underwent heart surgery without a hitch. Instead because of a pre-existing prostate problem the catheter caused major issues. That led to a prostate procedure which has now led to infected testicles. So..things happen. I just wonder how much is caused by lack of diligence of the part of doctors and their staff. Everyone's human, but....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

After first two treatments was fine. Then third a developed burn but no uti. Doing better. One day at a time. Doctor was referred to me by my uro gyn. Don't want to go back dr yet. He was well recommended but this treatment is so new.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Many rounds of antibiotics which I should never have been put on as all cultures were negative. It is cystitis caused by the friction is what my gyn told me and he said I had severe atrophy. Urethra is right next to vagina. Anyway.....time will heal. I have faith just wish I had never heard of ML
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So I had a cystitis diagnosis about three years ago and the urologist I was going to that would actually put medication inside of my bladder to try to help unfortunately and
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

After being treated for about two years it turned out that it wasn't cystitis it was the atrophy causing all the problems… I hope for you that everything works out
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Inga, have you ever tried drinking kefir? It is like a liquid yogurt, but has many more strains of good bacteria in it. I have started drinking it for bowel issues and it seems to work. Might help you with infection as well. You can make your own or buy ready made at many markets. Along with the usual cranberry juice of course.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wish I never had the Mona Lisa treatments.  I am worse now then before.  I was fine after third but she did a fourth and been miserable ever since.  I burned so much on Monday took oxy and burning still did not go away.  Went to urgent care.  She said I had blood in urine but no uti.  She put me on macrobid.  Said to call tomorrow for results.  Also had urethritis twice between treatments.  Have oab and peeing more than usual.  Seeing another urologist next week.  Let's see what she has to say.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Inga. I see this was posted a while ago. I had my 2nd Mona Lisa treatment 3 weeks ago and have had chronic pain and burning and urinary issues since the procedure. I also had some pain/burning after the first treatment but it only lasted about 2 weeks then resolved.  The treatments were 9 weeks apart.   How long did it take your issues to completely resolve and what did the urologist say?  Where you ultimately any better after the Mona Lisa treatments, worse, or the same?  What did the GYN/urologist feel occurred that caused these worsening symptoms and how were they treated?  When you read all the literature on-line now it says Mona Lisa is a relatively painless procedure w minimal to no side effects!  I believe my GYN was more aggressive with the second treatment as I have severe vulvar/ vaginal atrophy, am 7 years after menopause, and have not been able to take any sustained vaginal hormone therapy due to side effects. 

I appreciate any help from you or anyone else on this site.  Thank you. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tal, I am fine now. Since this was a while ago I can’t remember what urologist treated me with. Perhaps a steroid?  I think it took months to get back to normal and she does not recommend this procedure. I am no better with atrophy post procedure. Waste of my time for sure!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tal... we are all different... Mona Lisa helped me and I see less posts on this about VA mostly lichen sclerosis, I wonder if that is because of the Mona Lisa helping... it is not perfect but it is all I have.  Go once a year now and may have to kick up to two... no choice..
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Had my first gynecological appointment in 3 years. Had been experiencing an itch/burn that came & went, but had to wait till I returned to my home state as I have an HMO I can only use here. Asked the latest doctor about the Mona Lisa. She said she is reserving her judgement until there are enough cases to compare. She is leary, however, as atrophy causes the skin to thin so burning it doesn't seem the best way to treat it in her opinion.

I am now finally using a compounded version of Estrace and a steroid as it turns out the itch was caused by LS. In retrospect it seems the hormone cream would have been the way to go 3 years ago, but that doctor never mentioned LS. Only that not using the hormone cream to treat the atrophy could lead to "further" problems. As I was concerned with using estrogen when my sister had stage 4 cancer I passed as the atrophy was not causing any problem.

I really think there ought to be literature handed out to women with pros & cons so we can make educated decisions. I feel as though we might as well be going to witch doctors as reluctant as they are to discuss these issues in detail. I thought the Mona Lisa would be the solution for me if the atrophy were to get worse & cause problems. Now, not so much. Will have to wait to see what the results of the steroid and the estrogen cream are.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Mona Lisa Nightmnare

I had my done a year ago, i had no other resource , they assured me, even with a hug, im going to get my life back, OMG..it didnt work, and i am comvinced they over did the latser near or on my "perinimum" it the worst burning and pain i can decscribe,after paying $ 2, 274 dollars !!! even after secind one, the pain earlly got worse !! Now, have spent thousand smore on emergnecy room cause of pain and buring, its a living hell for me, i iwish now i hadnt had it done, I also couldnt do hormone creams, and suppositories, useless !! YET..they have NO answers what to do, no of course insurance wont pay for it, they havent seen good results !!! Recommended me to Pian Management, we cant afford the different procedures, I cry most everyday from pain and burning, , and lost hope xause nobody has answers, they just send you on to another doctor, or cream,

Oh it may work for a a few..BUT think very carefully before u do the Mona Lisa, read reviews, then....there is NO guarentee to it will work, they promise nothing.Any one please..id having same issues after, that help, share with me, im altered to a life of pain and hopeless here

Thank You

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Another beverly here! Sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time of it. Can't they at least numb the area so you can get relief? This may be a ridiculous question, but would a skin graft be possible?

When you say you couldn't do hormone creams, what exactly was the problem you had with them? I am finally using one for AV; have been for a few months along with a steroid for LS. Use the hormone only at entrance to vag. It does create a bit of soreness, but I am now having to use it nightly to keep estrogen steady as PH fluctuations are apparently causing fleeting BV. 

Had a negative reaction one time to steroid after a bout of diarrhea so stopped for about 10 days. Skin became inflamed and very sore. Back to using it twice a week and no problems. 

I wonder if any two of us are alike! No wonder doctors are guessing how to treat us.

Both my gyn and my GP are very leary re using laser on the skin. Got my hopes up 3 years ago when I first learned about ML. Now seems the only options again are hormone creams and steroids. Steroids in particular scare me but gyn says "bad for healthy skin good for unhealthy skin". But if the problem is that it thins skin, how can it be good for skin that is thinning?

Clearly ever since gynecology has existed these problems have. How were women being treated all these years and why isn't the medical field further along? Has no money gone into research?

Again, I hope you are able to find some relief. It sounds dreadful. You have my sympathies.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Beverly !

I cannot do estrogen, i have had 3 bloodclots over the years, i have heard alot if nightmares about the estrogen. As far as a graf, haha, they cant even help with my burning and pain, I dont blame your doctors being not sure about the ML, theres not enough proof, it really works.

The creams, as i have read on other reviews, they felt burning and stinging, to helo fir pain, but mine never stopped till i cleaned it off. Only lil relief i get is from a very cold compress right on it, wrapped in a wet washcloth.

I sure hope yours gets better too, i was recommended from my gyno, to a dermatologist...really ??? This us what we have to rely on..their guesses.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Where do you go from here? have you seen the dermatologist? I don't think its strange to see one. After all, this is a skin issue and LS can be anywhere on the body, so they may actually have more experience treating it than a gyn.

I do hope you get some relief. I am responding well to treatment, but who knows what the future will bring? Am new to all this and am trying not to think of possible problems. 

I wonder if acupuncture would help at least with the pain. Have you ever tried it? 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have an excellent doctor, he has me return to his office to be re-evaluated after two weeks.

He really cares, he told me he would like to see me live a normal live. He is very compassionate.

Count my blessings for him. He has given me TWO FREE treatments.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up