Monitoring of ovarian cysts in postmenopausal women. Three/four times a year CA125 and ultrasound?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 72 and a 2.5cm ovarian cyst was found in July during an ultrasound to check my kidney stones. My GP wrote to the hospital gynaecologist to ask his advice and also arranged a CA125 test which came back as 10. The cyst is septated, but thinly, there is some liquid inside it and the gynie said it doesn't look sinister. Following the gynie's advice the GP arranged for me to have another CA125 test and ultrasound four months later, i.e. now. The CA125 is now 9 and I'm due to have another ultrasound next week.

The gynie wrote that if everything was all right after the second blood test and ultrasound then that would be that. I'm not particularly happy about this as I read on the NHS Choices pages that postmenopausal women should be monitored 3 or 4 times for a year before discharge. There is no family history of ovarian cancer, but my aunt (my mother's sister) developed breast cancer in her 70s.

I'd be interested to know how other postmenopausal women are monitored for ovarian cysts in the UK. Is monitoring for a year common? I'm thinking of asking to be monitored again next year - making three ultrasounds in the year - and am considering how I can put my case forward. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm 57, post menopausal and was diagnosed with a simple cyst on my right ovary. I was having off and on somewhat mild pain for about 5 months. I decided to make an appointment with a gyno since I had not seen one since delivery of my last child many years ago (I know bad). I initially had a vaginal ultrasound as well as the CA125 test. Mine cam back at 17. My Dr. didn't seem too concerned and had me come back 6 weeks later for another ultrasound. Nothing had changed, but surprisingly my symptoms were less. So, again she wanted to see me again in another 6 weeks. This time the cyst had grown just slightly, however she said there was a little free fluid in my pelvic area. Again, she didn't seem concerned but did give me the option of removing the cyst and my ovary to prevent anything else.

So, I have decided to get both removed at the end of January. I must say I'm scared to death as I fear anesthesia, hospitals etc. But I must say that I'm tired of being "Dr. Google" and worrying every day as to whether I have C or not. I keep telling myself that if it were something serious that my Dr. would not have left it up to me to decide.

I hope you get some answers. I don't think you need to worry as well 😃

• Posted

Sorry you've had such a worrying time. I'm sure you're right that if there had been anything to worry about the decision wouldn't have been left to you and, also, they would have operated much earlier and wouldn't be asking you to wait until the end of January.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.