Mono and Difficulty Sleeping

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey y'all,

I'm coming up on month six over here. I think I'm getting better (hard to tell objectively, but it feels like it). I've been having a lot of trouble getting a normal amount of sleep for the past 2 months though.

I either can't fall asleep until 2 or 3am, or I fall asleep at a normal time (like 9-10pm), but then I'll wake up at 3-4am and not be able to fall back asleep. It's distressing because I feel like I won't make a full recovery if I can't get adequate rest.

Anybody else experiencing this, or have experienced it during your recovery?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Heya, i went through a phase of waking up at 3 in the morning and no getting back to sleep i did some research on it and it was mostly down to stress. But not sleeping causes more stress.....

It sorted itself out in the end. Im 10 months in now and get 8-9 hours a night, however in suffering with some wierd anxiety and i keep having nightmares. Stress makes everything worse, the best thing to do is try to accept that its going to take a while to get better and that everyday whether you feel better or worse is another day closer to recoverysmile

Your not on your own and i hope your sleeping sorts itself out, i remember how frustrating it was.

Maisie

• Posted

Thanks Maisie,

Haha, yeah it is a bit of a Catch-22. Most nights I'm alright, and if I can't sleep I can convince myself to just say "whatever it'll pass" and read a book or do something to distract myself until I fall asleep again, if I can.

But some nights... I dunno, I just get angry and upset- pretty sure that's the anxiety speaking, but as everyone on this board knows, when you feel like you're having a setback... It's the worst. But your right- everyday is closer to recovery.

I'm really glad to hear your sleeping sorted itself out after a while. Thanks for writing- wishing you a speedy recovery back to full health :-)

-Elliot

• Posted

Hi Elliot,

I do remember having a phase like this when I was going through the virus too. It was kind of frustrating because the virus makes you drained and you feel like you need sleep but then at times you can't get the sleep you want. I remember waking up around that time because I listen to the radio in bed and there used to be a natural therapist came on around 3am-4am and and I would listen for some of his tips / advice.

At six months I was very similar Elliot, felt better than at the very start but still as though the progress was so slow and nowhere near full recovery. Just want to reassure you that these first six months are by far the worst Elliot, it still took me a little longer, it was month 10 I would say when I seen a major breakthrough and could start to live a more normal life again, but things did gradually get better until then too, with a few setbacks / relapses along the way. Thinking of you and remember you WILL get through this and get better.

Really hoping your sleep pattern becomes more settled and you feel like yourself again very soon - hang in there and remember you're going to recovery FULLY, take it from me as someone who went through similar struggle and thought they would never get there, grateful to God that brought healing and believing that He will for you Elliot.

Craig

• Posted

You're welcome Elliot, really hoping things take an upturn soon, it's so hard when in the midst of a trial, thinking about you and hang in there - believing God won't let you down.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Elliot,

Yes, I had this also, It eventually resolved around 10 months.

• Posted

Hi Mono,

How are you and your daughter doing? I hope that things are a bit more settled at this point for you. Still thinking about you and trusting that God will pull your family through this.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I am still feeling OK and my daughter is still struggling. 

How is your back? I sure hope it lets up soon. My mother recommends a book called Meeting God at Every Turn by Catherine Marshall.

• Posted

Hi Mono,

Glad you are feeling okay and really hoping and praying that a breakthrough is on its way for your daughter - I believe it is Mono trusting God with that.

I'm still having trouble with my back Mono, finding it hard to find that breakthrough at the moment but trusting God that He knows what's going on for us all. Thanks for the book recommendation will take a note of that always interested in things like that through which God can offer guidance and hope and help.

Craig

• Posted

I'm 14 weeks in and have trouble sleeping some nights. Usually go to bed around 10pm and don't really feel that tired, when earlier in the day I was exhausted. I also have the pressure feeling on my head all day, so when I finally hit the pillow so to speak I can feel it more which doesn't help. I have been taking lots of supplements but wondering if they are too much, especially vitamin b complex so have decided to stop taking them.

• Posted

Hi Dodge,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with sleeping, that must be so frustrating. Really hoping things settle down and remember there is an end to this horrible virus! If you can't always sleep well at nights try even get a rest during the day if at all possible, although I know if you do that then you're thinking will you sleep at night too.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.