Mono for 14 months now

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI all. I am new to this forum. I found it after needing a pick me up after relapsing for the umpteenth time! Just wanted to throw out my symptoms and some things that have worked for me. The value of community is pretty vital when you have this virus so its about time I contribute.

symptoms:

All the usual suspects, headaches, fatigue, brain fog, painful neck and joints, never ending swollen glands and sore throat, etc. Some other ones not so common are daily hives, hair loss, bad tachycardia (rapid heart beating at 140+ for hours on end) and new allergies to NSAIDS and dessicated pig thyroid. I have had hashimotos thyroiditis since I was 22 (I'm 36 now). but mono has definitely affected my thyroid.

Prior to mono I trained and exercised A LOT! Which is to say i worked my job 50-60hrs a week and trained 10-15hrs a week - no I dont have kids. I competed at a high level in cross country mountain biking and some endurances races too. It's been devastating to have that all ripped from me bc of this virus. Like all of you my life is a 180 degree turn from what it was. I have experienced longer periods of "remission" during my 14 months but nothing back to normal yet. The first 5 months were awful and a blur. After that, things got better for a few months and I slowly started to resume biking and other activities but nothing at the level of before mono. Now I have relapsed again. I am determined on beating this and not having a year 3. Recently I contacted a naturopath friend of mine who also had EBV and was an athlete. She recommended monolaurin, cranial sacral work and a Chinese doc. i have been on monolaurin for 4 days now, taking 600mg 3x day. It def made me feel awful for the last 3 days but now i seem to be feeling a tad bit better. I also take liposomal Vitamin C. It's significantly more potent than reg Vit C and it def makes a difference. The Chinese doc gave me some herbal tea and pills that knocked my sinus infection out in days. And i see the cranial practitioner on Tuesday. My natriropath friend told me that bodily stress can build up and become a toxin in your body, even childhood stress which is why I'm seeing the cranial person.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and tell a little about my journey. Overall my positive attitude has been the difference maker , I believe. And I know I will be healthy again, I just have to be patient and change my lifestyle. I may never train like I once did. And accepting that and the other perceived disappointments of this virus are keys to curing myself. After all, my previous habits brought this on... good luck to all and stay positive. You're not alone.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

And I even have the heart racing. Usually it happens right before I have a relapse or am coming down with something else. It will get as high as 130 and go up and down all day. I feel HORRIBLE and freak out. Which doesn't help matters. Then for a couple of days after that it will be in the high normal range. I think it is in response to the immune system fighting off the virus.....or any virus. (because mine did it when I got the two colds too)

• Posted

YES!! The same happens to me! I know I'm getting sick when my heart starts racing. It's like our bodies are warning us and yet I keep challenging it to see how far I can push before I relapse. I need to start heeding my own internal alert system!

• Posted

The heart racing must be such a frightening and overwhelming feeling when you it feels difficult to control guys, I really hope things settle down for sure with this and thinking about you.

I've found lately some herbs that have been good for calming the body down and soothing the nervous system to be cayenne pepper and chamomile, especially when taken from dinner time onwards it can really help you get a more relaxing sleep too. Definitely would recommend these, but of course I'm no expert and always wise to check for any interactions with other medications / conditions when taking herbal supplements.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Bianca,

Yes I usually order some cayenne pepper tablets and chamomile tablets from Amazon or somewhere like that. It's certainly worth a try but again I don't want to profess that I'm some kind of expert on these things so please always check things out before starting to take anything in case there is anything in your situation / circumstances that means it would be better not to.

Hope these can help! B100 complex vitamin definitely I would recommend highly though in terms of calming and soothing the nervous system and for energy levels.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.