Mono/Glandular - 3 Months, Struggling

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had what my doctor 'thinks' might be reactivated Glandular Fever / Mono. My blood test has stayed the same from the start and I just had another blood test now.

My symptoms have been extremely debilitating so much so that i'm housebound at the moment.

I'm a 31 y/o male.

This started about 3 months ago when I had normal flu like symptoms that completely wiped me out. Then about a month ago the sore throat seemed to have gone away and i just had the terrible fatigue (but enough to go to work and power through it).

I started taking Olive Leaf Extract about 2 weeks ago, and I was fine up until the 3rd day where it absolutely hit me, I got dizzy and felt like I wanted to faint. Then extremely sick in the stomach, diarhoea, extreme fatigue, burping/flatulence, flu symptoms and extremely sore throat etc. It has been a few days since then and it has slowly gotten better (besides the terrible fatigue).

I went to the doctor to get the results of my most recent blood and urine tests and everything came up clear. They can see I had EBV 4 years ago and they think it might have been reactivated. They basically told me there is nothing they can do and to just rest.

I am completely at my wits end with this, i'm fearing i might lose my job.... the fatigue is so bad I just don't know what to do now....

Hoping someone might be able to help.

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Mate im basically in the same situation except its been going on for a year with extra symptoms.. was suspected glandular fever but the trst come back saying i had been infected with it earlier in life, yet i cant remember it and neither can my family.. ive had bullions of tests done and nothing shows, i power through everyday going to work and going about my usual days.
    • Posted

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your reply. It has become increasingly harder to go to work. Just the trip to work completely wipes me out and i can't do my job.

Only way i've been doing my job is by working from home (lucky I can being in IT). But even just walking down the road completely tires me out. I haven't felt this bad in my whole life, and not sure how this is all going to pan out.....

• Posted

Yeh i know how you feel, unfortunately i cant work from home so i just go in and do my job. I struggle most days but i get through. i dont sleep well either so rest doesnt help 
    • Posted

I am doing the same thing. I go to work make it through the day. Go home and cook for my son and try to get some rest. It is hard in the mornings to get started. I hold on to the hope that one day it will get better. Craig has been a God sent. I read this site every day sometimes 10 or 12 times a day for hope. I have been sick for over a year. Some things are better, other things seem to linger.  I hope you get well soon. I hope we all do.
    • Posted

Brent thank you for your kind words....the main reason I want to come on here is because I want to offer hope to you and others going through the virus because when I went through it I felt exactly the same, drained and unsure of the future. I want people to know there is life after glandular fever, no matter how long it takes for recovery and it will be the case for you too Brent. Just hoping that the manifestations of recovery can be seen soon for you, take it easy and don't overdo things - you are doing everything you can to keep your life going and just be kind on yourself too and give yourself rest when possible.

Craig

• Posted

I think that rest is the most important thing... I noticed that during the second week of my illness (when I had to go back to work) I'd feel extremely tired if I didn't sleep more than 8 hours. Take naps and drink lots of water (mixed with oral rehydration solution is the best.) And also eat a lot, because your body needs nutrients and calories.

I think most of us have been there... I also thought I was going to lose my job, and during the first week I even wanted to quit. I was so desperate I thought I'd end up in a hospital bed. But getting a lot of rest helped me a lot. 

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

So sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time at the moment, my experience with glandular fever was very similar and after 3-4 months I felt so drained because I had already came a long way with persistently horrible symptoms but felt no better. The period you have been through is by far the worst if it's glandular fever Anthony, things do get better from here - it can still take a bit of time so don't panic if it doesn't come right away but it will come eventually, and the intensity is by far the worst in the phase you have already gone through.

Things that helped me were taking a good strong multi-vitamin per day, also taking B complex is good for energy levels, high doses of Vitamin C also helped (1000mg-3000mg per day), making sure you also get a good dose of Vitamin D per day and immune boosting herbs like echnicea and siberian ginseng helped me.

Rest and removing stress though definitely the best tonic....I know that doesn't help much but also try to keep doing some small stress-free things that you enjoy like seeing friends, etc, if possible - just make sure you get plenty of rest before and after.

Things will get better Anthony, I really believe that and hang in there - thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.