Mono (glandular fever), guilt, and desperation

Posted , 19 users are following.

I've had GF for nearly ten weeks and I've been off work the whole time. The past few days I've been unable to eat or bathe or even stand long enough to brush my teeth. My friends and colleagues are starting to question all the time off, saying helpful things like "I had mono for two whole weeks when I was 14 but my parents made me attend school anyhow", or asking if I could possibly make it to the office for half a day for an important meeting. I'm 34, (was) a recreational athlete, and I don't miss work lightly. There is no question in my mind that I'm unfit to work (or even drive to work!). I literally have insufficient energy to take a shower. I can't sit up for more than a few minutes due to spleen pain and nausea. Am I just being a pussy for staying mostly in bed this long? I have tried to go for short walks or to get a few groceries, but the muscle pain, nausea, and lightheadedness are miserable. The fever is long gone, but I'm still getting the sweats and shakes and intolerable body pains. I'm beginning to get very scared that something serious is wrong because I'm completely incapacitated by this illness and I'm not seeing any improvement. I'm desperate to feel better and to not be so dependent on my boyfriend for all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. It feels like I'm losing my mind. Someone please tell me I'll wake up one day soon as my old self.

1 like, 352 replies

352 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was off work for the whole of Noveber and December, signed off for eight weeks and like you was worried what work would think/work colleagues. It does seem to hit hardder the older you get and ecovery is vey much down to each person, its not something others can see like say chicken pox or know how long it will take to fully recover. However, you will get better as I am improving much more than even a few weeks ago but you do need to listen to your body and take it easy on yourself.
    • Posted

That's great to hear Stokieboy that you are improving even from a few weeks ago, a good sign but remember just take things slowly - gradually managing activity in a phased way is key during recovery!

Rhonda, your words are marvellous I really love reading them and bless you for all the words of kindness and encouragement you have offered to everyone on here - we love you smile

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig. You have given so much encouragement and insight to us all! You are amazing to offer such support so long for so many of us! I read your comments before I joined the forum! You are a blessing to so many!

Rhonda

• Posted

That's so kind of you Rhonda, I really appreciate that, your words are the same a blessing and I just remember how hard it was and how frightened and down I was when going through mono / glandular fever and want to reassure anyone else going through the same that they will pull through (with God's help!).

Craig

• Posted

Happy to hear of your good progress! Thanks for offering encouragement and hope! Which are very important in the recovery journey as you so well know!

Take care! Please keep us updated.

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Thanks Craig and I am making sure don't overdo it - walk before you can run. By the end of my reduced hours working I am tiring!

• Posted

That's definitely sensible Stokie boy, sounds like you're doing all the right things and you will definitely recover quicker for that in my opinion. It must have been a horrible time for you and just want you to know I'm still rooting for you and still fully believe that recovery is happening right now and you will see the manifestations happening in your life and circumstances - lots of hope today!

Take care and hang in there - remember not to overdo!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig your kind words and thoughts are much appreciated. Had a relapse yesterday and I think it was because I had a latte. Been avoiding caffine as much as possible as I know it can aggreviate GF.

Bizarrely feel the cold more now with GF or it maybe just old age!

• Posted

Hi Stokie, sorry to hear about your relapse! Hopefully it will not last very long! It kust seems to be a part of the process of getting through recovery. We all try to think what we did that caused it. Cause we sure don't like the relapse and don't want oit to happen again if we can help it.

Today is 7 weeks I have been in relapse. I have made progress the last two weeks thank God!

Please keep us updated! Take good care of yourself! Know that we all care and understand how this virus is so tough to deal with. We know the symptoms are real but we know complete recovery will greet us with a smile and a big hug one day. Hopefully soon!

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Definitely a good idea to avoid caffeine Stokie, but I get it that when you're under stress and feel the way you do that you sometimes will do anything for an energy boost - everything in moderation I guess.

No it's definitely not your age, colds and things can definitely hit you harder with glandular fever - still thinking about you today and want you to know I still do believe in a complete and full recovery for you, without any doubt at all, and even if it doesn't come right away don't want you to be discouraged because it will come!

Craig

• Posted

Hi guys. Sorry, I stopped getting notifications from this site. I'll have to check my email filters.

I moved to my boyfriend's place (again) since I'm not up to driving and maintaining groceries etc without help. It is the oddest bag I've ever packed: yoga pants, more yoga pants, old baggy t-shirts, painkillers, and a hoodie. It's like a sad vacation! :P

Since my last post, I've been a lump on his couch. Some days are better, I don't feel at risk of fainting in the shower the past few days. I've put on a couple of pounds because food takes no effort (on my part ?), now. I've been to the store (with my guy) a couple of times, but I don't last long on my feet. We bought four items yesterday and I was so grateful to get back in the car afterward. Not sure if this is viral fatigue or a reflection of a total loss of fitness and muscle mass. Good days seem to be followed by a day or two of total exhaustion. Nausea is much better this week.

After 11 weeks of mono, my former life with a job and an intense fitness routine is a hazy memory being gradually overwritten by naps and Netflix.

• Posted

Sarah, thanks for the update! We are all fighting this battle.

Good to hear of some progress!

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I really sympathise and so sorry to hear you've going through such a hard time with it. If it's any comfort at all let me reassure you that the phase you are going through now is by far the worse phase, that initial 3 or 4 months is the toughest of all, then the intensity of it usually eases although it can still take a bit of time to recover.

I often liken the virus in my own mind to the physical equivalent of a mental breakdown. It's like a physical breakdown of your body, where it is just not able to cope with even the simplest things anymore. But resilience gets built up again after time Sarah and you will get better and even though it might not feel like it now I definitely believe that given time you will recover and get back to a normal and active way of life. I really believe that because after 3 months I felt exactly the same as you, in despair and like there was not much hope or signs of improvement, but then eventually it came and it will all seem like a distant memory once it's over with.

Thinking of you and just get plenty of rest just now and take things one day at a time. Hope things start to improve soon.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Sarah,

That sounds hard, I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm in week 7 struggling alongside you. I can definitely relate to the dependency and missing my old life. I'm glad your BF is there to help

One thing I've found to be helpful is 3g of liposomal Vitamin C taken with meals.

Hope today is good one

• Posted

Three months in and almost no change. Still watching TV and feeling useless and depending on my guy for everything. When will this get better?!
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

So sorry that you've been feeling so rubbish, it's such an awful virus I know. When I went through it, it was one of the hardest times of my life, like you after three months I felt terrible and didn't know what was happening or how or when I would get better.

But Sarah I did thanks to the grace of God, there is hope still and there is recovery, it's just so frustrating it takes time, these are definitely the worst three months, it can still take time to recover after that and you may not feel yourself for a while yet but there will come a time when you feel much more like yourself and a time when you feel back to full health again - it definitely does come despite all the worries and anxiety that it won't, just want to reassure you of that today, I went through the same and remember just the terrible feelings physically, mentally and emotionally, but I still fully believe you WILL get better Sarah without any doubt in my mind, just do your best to cope with each day at the moment I know it's easier said than done but there is light at the end of the tunnel given time.

Thinking of you and hang in there

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.