Mono in pregnancy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been reading these forums for some time in order to gain some moral support for this hideous journey I am now part of. But admittedly, I have never commented. I'm in month 7 since my EBV diagnosis and for the first 5 months I coped reasonably well. The symptoms since the beginning were strange and unlike any other bug I'd ever had, but I could still function fairly well and the symptoms would come and go. Then I found out I was pregnant....Yay, over the moon! then came the mono, with an absolute vengeance!! Night sweats, inability to settle during sleep, like a constant discomfort in my whole body. Aching legs, constant tummy pain, a vile sensation in my head, that feeling you have when you know you're coming down with something, like just a horrible yuk, I feel Ill feeling that you can't pinpoint, but you just feel dreadful. light headedness, sensitivity to sound and freezing cold feet, all of the time! It's no easy feat being pregnant, especially the first 12 weeks, and with such a severe mono flare up, I'm at breaking point! I'm terrified that my baby will be born and I'll still be so ill that I won't be able to enjoy being a mum, it feels like I'm going to have this awful virus forever, I feel like it has stolen my life and all of my happiness from me. Has anyone else had experience of this virus actually getting worse as time goes on?? are all of these symptoms normal?? thank you in advance for any advice, my GP is of very little help, they seem to know very little.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, i had mono right before pregnancy! very unwell, could not work for 5 months at all and eventually did return to full time but with gradual return, starting at two days a week for 2 months, then increase etc.

the good news is that around the 7-8 month mark i noticed much improvement (dont get hung up on the amount of months, even if urz takes 10 or 7 .. it will improve and you will be able to tell there was a curve). had a good pregnancy, and gave birth to healthy baby a few days ago. lol i would rather go through labour and birth 100x than have mono.

you will be ok! take it easy becaise its not forever. rest now and ask for help. its hard asking sometimes but your family and friends are our "tribe" and we need to be able to depend on those who love us most. after all, we would gladly help them!

• Posted

Hey Van,

That's definitely some really encouraging words for Martine and anyone going through mono whilst pregnant, thanks for sharing! It's great to know that things went well with with your pregnancy despite what must have been a very stressful and tough period managing that at the same time as mono. Hoping things are going well for you at the moment.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.