Mono recovery story collection!!

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Let's post some positive mono recovery stories so that they're all in one place to give people encouragement. I think there's a negative post bias that understandably happens where most people post when they're concerned, but not when they've recovered. This can give someone viewing the posts a pessimistic impression of recovery. On the other hand reading someone's recovery story, including the darkest parts of the illness, can give hope and aid in the healing process.

I'm still in recovery myself, so I don't have a story yet, but I invite you all to post your recovery story, or other stories you've found / been told.

Thanks!

-Jesse

8 likes, 282 replies

282 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi! I am 20 year old female who use to work 40 hours a week and go to school full time before I was hit with this awful diease. I am new on this site, but I thought I should share my story as its still going on. 

My symptoms started right around valentines day of this year, I woke up one morning just extremely nauseous with an extreme headache swollen tonsils and I had chills so bad I could hardly move, I called my dad in a panic and he rushed me to the ER where they figured I just had strep throat,( they did a mono spot test and it came back negative) so I took some antibiotics and took a week off of work and then after that I felt better for two weeks. Then on March 7th I woke up feeling nauseous but just figured it was fluke and went about my days. Flash forward 2 or 3 days and I could not contain my nausea and started to throw up anything and everything and the extreme chills and fever came back so once again we went to the ER. They just sent me home with no tests done.. spent the next month in and out of Kaiser having just about every test thought of done on me.. finally in May they re did my mono test and it came up positive! I had already dropped out of school and quit my job at this point, so I figured it would just be a few more weeks of resting and then normal life could resume... boy was I wrong. In this 3 or 4 month period I experienced the zig zag recovery where some days I felt good and other days I couldn't move with out throwing up and my head feeling like it was either going to burn up or explode. 

At the beginning of June my primary care doctor suggested I go see and ENT doctor, so I did and they decided I should get my tonsils out. So on July 6th I got my tonsils out. It was the worst recovery I have ever dealt with.

Finally after about 2 weeks I started to feel better so I spent 2 days seeing friends and going on a date.. then I woke up two days later with that same intense nausea and headache, and I was knocked back down for 2 weeks.

Then on August 5th I had spent the few days before throwing up and just not feeling well, I decided it would be a good idea to take a hot bath to combat my nausea. In the middle of the bath I passed out once, tried to stand up passed out again and slashed my lower back open and was once again rushed to the ER. They decided I was dehydrated and that I am orthostatic as my heart rate jumped up to 170 just from standing up.

I have since recovered from that episode and now just spend most of my days feeling nauseous. The bad days seem to be hitting more and more recently which is discouraging, but I am hoping this ends soon or at least by my 21st birthday in December! 

Symptoms I have endured: Swollen tonsils and lymph nodes, nausea, throwing up, intense headaches that feel like they are burning, dizziness, chills, fever, upset stomach, sweating, rapid heart rate 

Things I have tried: Getting my tonsils out, I take a bunch of vitamins every day, small walks, spending the days I feel good out doing things, migraine medicine. 

These stories have been very helpful to read, because I thought I was going crazy or I must have gotten something else to still be feeling bad after this many months. My blood test are coming back normal now, so I am just doing all I can to not go crazy being sick for this long. Sorry this was so long but it feels good to have this all typed out somewhere. 

• Posted

Hello Nicole,

Goodness me you have been through such an awful 6 months by the sounds of it, so sorry to hear everything you've went through in that time. Empathising having went through this awful virus many years ago. I was the same as you, my doctor said 4-6 weeks things would be okay again, I didn't realise that I would have a similar path to you when the weeks and months had so many dips and setbacks and I just felt unwell and with fatigue and running low grade fever and pains from different glands all the time. 

I really want to reassure you that things DO get better from this - and you WILL make a full recovery. After 6 months or so I was pretty much in the same boat as you, so weary and tired of feeling this way but not feeling like I was making much progress. I thought it was going to go on forever - but believe me Nicole you won't have to go through anything like the last 6 months - these are by far the most intense and even if it still takes a few months for full recovery or whatever, the intensity will lessen and you will get to a stage where your body starts to go into full recovery mode - it doesn't feel like it when going through the virus, but want to reassure you that things do get better. It took me about 10 months to see a major turning point, but after that thankfully God brought healing and made me well again and gave me freedom back - and you will get to that stage soon too, hoping that breakthrough is on its way really soon, remember it's different for everyone so hoping it's not as long for you. 

Taking vitamins and herbs have helped me, a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra which can be bought from Boots and few other places in the UK), high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex vitamin per day (great for energy levels and nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, oregano and echinicea - all good natural anti-virals I think. 

And you will get back to being able to work and be active again, your body resilience does return with time it really does - you're young and have lots of healthy and happy years ahead once this is by, I truly believe that! Trusting God with your recovery! Thinking about you Nicole and thanks for sharing your story, you deserve to get better and it is going to happen!

Craig

• Posted

Hi! 

Thank you very much for your encouraging words! I definitely appreciate hearing from someone who has gone through this! 

My biggest issue right now is that although the past 5 months have been awful I had a lot more good days thrown in there where I was even able to enjoy things like the fourth of July and spend a lot more time feeling good. The last month has mostly been bad days with maybe one or 2 good days and that has  been discouraging to feel like its not getting better but its getting worse. Maybe the tonsil surgery knocked me of course a little bit. But I definitely am desperate for some good days again soon! 

I will defiantly try some immune boosting herbs as you suggested. 

The one thing I am thankful for is that I was not one to get the overwhelming fatigue that mono can give to people. I am a little more tired than usual but I survive off of my 7 hours of sleep each night. although I do spend most of my days doing absolutely nothing which has been so hard sad 

But thank you again! I appreciate the helpful suggestions and encouraging words! 

• Posted

Hey Nicole,

Thanks for the kind words, I definitely do empathise and want you to know that this can be very normal, where you think things are maybe improving a bit and all of a sudden you feel hit with it as bad as ever again, this kind of zig-zag recovery is common with mono and want you to know that the setbacks and dips do get better and get less and less as time goes on. I had some similar setbacks in my recovery, to the point that I wondered if things would ever get better at times. But thanks to God I got better and I truly believe that you are going to get better too, Just hoping and praying for a breakthrough in your situation real soon!

Good luck with the herbs and vitamins, of course remember I'm not a doctor or medical person or anything, so always worth checking these things out for yourself for proper advice, just going on my own experience of what has helped me. Another therapy I've had in the past which has helped me with various ailments is called Bowen Therapy. It's very gentle and non-evasive and can help with all sorts of issues, from specific pains to general wellbeing and energy levels. I first got it when I had bad sciatica and it done miraculous works for that, and have been getting it regular for nearly 10 years. It's not widely practised but maybe worth looking up to see if there are any therapists near your area - it is very safe and can do no harm at the very least.

Hoping for real improvement for you soon Nicole and do keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Nicole,

Sorry to hear you have been struggling with mono for the past 6 months. So far I am about at the 7th month. 

I can totally tell you that what you are going through sounds very normal. Agreeing with Craig, I 100% believe you will make a full recovery! Remember this time will pass for you. 

For me, I’m 14 years old, I recovered well in the first 3 months, I felt about 70% healthy, then almost into the 4th month I crashed and got a lot worse, then over these next 3 months just worse and worse, feeling the worst it’s ever been so far! 

So I totally empathize with the feeling that your not improving! 

Usually for people the symptoms go away slowly, and a lot of the time some hang on for a while, usually the fatigue with a few other symptoms, but every one is different. 

The small setbacks are totally normal, it’s really zig zag as Craig said. 

Hoping you see improvement! Take care. 

• Posted

Thinking about you also today Young Boy, still believing you're going to get through this and get better. No matter how hard it is today, you are going to get over this and be back to full health again, and God will strengthen you and do it for you - so hang in there and remember take things slowly and don't push yourself too hard right now!

Craig

• Posted

hello! health update:

these last few months since getting my tonsils out have been ROUGH. By far the worst i've felt since this whole thing started in March. I have extreme nausea that has just taken over my life along with a sore throat. It has been non stop for atleast 2 months straight now. My doctors are going back and forth on if this is still Mono related or not. I am currently working with a stomach doctor as the infectious disease doctor just sent me away with no help. I'm frustrated with being sick and I just want my life back! Did anyone else have nausea that came back this bad at about the 6 month mark? thank you!

• Posted

Hi Cierra,

Goodness what a terrible time you've been going through by the sounds of it, really hoping and praying for a turning point and breakthrough for you soon. If mono is the culprit, I do want to reassure you that it be very normal for things to go on this long and then go on and make a full recovery - this is just the way this horrible virus goes. And I know they do say it can take a while for things to settle after getting tonsils out too so just hoping for things to settle and some notable improvement soon.

Thinking about you Cierra and believing truly that you are going to get better and get through this tough tough time. Hang in there, God is there with you and has good plans for you, and wants you well and is working to get you there I do believe. Even if it still takes a little more time, don't panic because you will get there.

Craig

• Posted

I have had nausea on and off for the past 14 mos. Mine is more like motion sickness. I seem to experience it mostly when I am on a bus for an extended period of time or as a passenger in a car.

• Posted

Cierranicole....

I have had mine for 6 months and I am having extreme nausea, fatigue, swollen glands and headaches.....I feel like i just got diagnosed.I have a day i feel okay and 3 that i feel ill. This us a rolllercoaster and I am now starting to suffer from extreme anxiety..

I hate this life!

• Posted

yes it does cause anxiety and youre lucky to have good days had mine a year and last 7 months can count on maybe one hand the good days.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

It is so frustrating and like a rollercoaster as you say, when you get a bit of hope and encouragement after a good day and then all of a sudden it can be back the way again and feeling worse only a day or two later. This is definitely part of the reason why this virus is so hard to cope with mentally and emotionally because of this terribly unstable and frightening journey it takes you on.

But please be reassured Maria that this is a very normal experience, and it was very much the same for me after 6 months, and that by far the first 6 months were the worst and most intense. The intensity will start to lessen and your body resilience truly will return again. I remember thinking after about 6 or 7 months there is no way that my body will ever be able to cope with anything stressful or a 'normal' way of life even again, it was so fragile and I felt so run down during and after I did things often. But please know Maria this is a phase of the virus and it does pass and your body stability and resilience does return again, and even if it is a few more months before you are back to full health don't panic because you absolutely will get there. I know it was only down to God that I was able to get better and eternally grateful for that because I remember how awful and frightening and down I was with this - just the worst experience and I want you to know I do empathise.

It's so hard for others to understand who haven't experienced it because to them you look fine and there are no outward symptoms often and people often see you up or out and about and don't realise just how awful the virus makes you feel. It can be so isolating too, I was and am so lucky to have such a patient and supportive family who helped me even when I was a nightmare to live with and be with when going through this and other things more recently. If there is anyone you trust you can talk to about it all please do Maria, I seen an Occupational Therapist and a Counsellor also, and also talked to friends and family that I could trust to be understanding too. Dealing with this on your own is so hard, and I do hope and pray you have a good support network around that can help with your children and everything at this time.

Thinking about you and remember the good news that this thing does and will get better, I know that doesn't always help much right now when in the midst of it, but truly I believe you are going to get through this and back to full health, given I felt a very similar way to you describe at 6 months and got there only with God's help and having read the full and complete recovery stories of many others who were struggling badly at six months too.

Hang in there Maria! God is the great healer, Jesus is the great physician.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Lori I was just wondering how you are doing this week, how your ozone therapy has been going. I do hppe and pray so much that you have managed okay with the long journeys and are feeling okay today - thinking about you still and rooting for you, keeping you in my prayers.

Craig

• Posted

yes its a long day was out from 1-6.30

yesterday . its a brutal procedure but im still doing it ! we shall see.

• Posted

Lori you should be proud of yourself for the courage you've shown getting to that treatment these past few weeks especially when not feeling at all great. I just hope so much that it is helping and that you are feeling settled at the moment. I still believe that there is going to be a real positive that comes out of this horrible time and experience for you Lori, something good maybe not revealed yet but that maybe wouldn't have transpired had this not happened - hang in there, God has good and amazing plans for you and His timing is perfect. Keeping you in my prayers!

Craig

• Posted

thank you craig !yes maybe you are right maybe there is a reason for this that is yet to be revealed .

Yes its a hard journey and procedure but its hope.... so...

ive been experiencing bad depression maybe something to do with detoxing . plus its been an horrendous time ... year sure ive got trauma from it all.

hope you are well and you pain has eased up .

• Posted

Thanks Lori for the kind words I have been feeling a bit more settled this past few days that I was last weekend thankfully. Just want and pray for good health for us all going forward and for peace and stability and progress.

I think you've done amazingly well in how you've coped with this awful last year or so Lori, I can only imagine the pain and hurt and suffering you've been going through with the intensity of this thing. There will be a positive to come out of all this, there might well be a new beginning that God is just setting up in the background right now, keep trusting in Him Lori remember there is always hope because of Him - He is greater than everything and everyone including this terrible virus you're going through so keep hanging on and remember God is going to have the final word with this thin and I believe He is going to kick it into touch once and for all.

Hoping for a good and settled weekend for you and that you are able to rest after the long trips for the therapy this week - remember it's okay to rest up.

Praying for God to restore your identity in Him and to for Jesus to restore anything that this awful and dreaded virus and all its powers has tried to sook out of you in terms of physical health, mental health, stability, peace, joy and, spiritual health and emotional health. Praying for that in Jesus' wonderful name, Amen.

These things will be restored for you Lori, I believe that. Thinking of you today Lori, don't give up and your mood will lift and physical and mental health will improve - hoping you are okay today, keeping you in my prayers and will plan to keep you in my prayers each day until you are feeling better.

Craig

• Posted

thanks craig .. yes the journey and treatment is hard but im doing it . not such a good day today .. hopefully it will get better .have a good weekend glad youre doing well.

• Posted

Take confidence from the fact that you've been getting to your treatment, I can imagine that getting up and getting yourself ready for and on a long journey and then getting the treatment and the same on the way back must take so much energy to do, even for a fully fit person, so I think you're doing amazingly well by managing to make it there.

That is a real achievement and you should be proud of yourself for the courage you have been showing Lori. I am proud of you!

Craig

• Posted

thanks craig i relapsed badly yesterday and feeling awful today . i was good friday rested a lot and decided to get a pedicure.... that one thing pushed me over the edge ... cant believe it.

i will continue with treatment and have 2 appts next week. please GOD with rest today and tomorrow i can make it Tuesday.

praying this works now at 1 year and dont know how much more i can take ! living alone its so hard to keep up with things .

• Posted

Hi Lori,

So sorry to hear you felt so bad at the weekend, I just hope that you are feeling a bit more settled today. Absolutely just rest until your appointment on Tuesday if you are able to. Keep casting your cares on the Lord Lori, He does care for you and wants you well. Even though we don't understand why this is happening in your life right now, keep holding firm to the truth that God is trustworthy and has plans to give you a future, hope and a full life.

Jesus is our man Lori, He will come through for you I do believe. Goodness knows you must be so weary and drained at the moment. Keep holding on Lori, give yourself as much time and space as you need, don't put pressure on yourself or expect too much of yourself. God is working on things for you right now behind the scenes, and the manifestations will be seen.

Thinking about you and hoping for a better day today Lori. You're not on your own in this thing, God is right with you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.