Mono recovery story collection!!

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Let's post some positive mono recovery stories so that they're all in one place to give people encouragement. I think there's a negative post bias that understandably happens where most people post when they're concerned, but not when they've recovered. This can give someone viewing the posts a pessimistic impression of recovery. On the other hand reading someone's recovery story, including the darkest parts of the illness, can give hope and aid in the healing process.

I'm still in recovery myself, so I don't have a story yet, but I invite you all to post your recovery story, or other stories you've found / been told.

Thanks!

-Jesse

8 likes, 282 replies

282 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im defenitly looking for some positive insite here! ive been dealing with mono/ebv since september of 18. one day i was driving home from a normal outing with my friends when i was hit with this overwhelming need to take a nap. i had never felt this kind of tiredness before. it was most unbearable. i thought maybe i just didnt sleep well (newborn at home) the next day it was like i couldnt get out of bed i was still very tired maybe even more then i was the day before. This crazy tiredess has continued till now. the only time i got the throat pain was when i was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. i dont remember to much about it cause my brain fog is out of control. i have developed a headache that just wont go away . The same headache now for 2 1/2 months . i have raad every article out there that i can find and everything says that if the tiredness doesnt go away at 6 months then to consider CFS and i really dont want that to happen. Has anyone gotten over this tiredness? How long did it take?

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

So sorry to hear that you have been going through such a tough time with mono since September - I really want to write to empathise having went through a tough time with the virus myself and to reassure you that you will get better and that it can be very normal (unfortunately) for the fatigue to linger this long and then go on and make a full recovery.

After about 6 months I was still in quite a mess with this thing Jessie, still feeling so fatigued, with the constant low grade fever and just not feeling at all well with different aches and pains / gland pain different things. I felt that my progress had been so slow and just was so down and like you was also worried about things like CFS.

I just want to reassure you Jessie that the VAST majority of people with this virus go on to make a full recovery, and it IS normal for the fatigue and the horrible symptoms to go on for a number of months - for me it was about 10 months before I really started to see a major turning point, and just so grateful to God that He helped me to get better because I know I couldn't have done it myself.

Not saying at all it will take that long for you, but I just want you to know that absolutely I believe any doctors who try to write people off as having CFS after 6 months of this thing are COMPLETELY WRONG. I have come to learn there is a real difference between post-viral and CFS, and what the vast vast majority of people who are fatigued and unwell for a significant period with mono are going through is post-viral - just that extended period your body needs to get over a nasty nasty virus like mono. But post-viral DOES get better, and it can take many months but absolutely you will get back to full recovery again, I truly believe that given my own recovery experience and reading the full recovery stories of many people who were unwell with this virus for 6 months or more. So hang in there, there IS hope and recovery ahead - my experience was the intensity got much less as time went on and Year 2 was a real year of recovery and like a walk in the park compared to Year 1!

Vitamins and herbs also helped me a lot during recovery, a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), high levels of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) a B100 complex vitamin per day (GREAT for energy levels and nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinacea.

Hang in there Jessie, you WILL get through this and back to full health again - I truly believe that - and remember God is a healing God and I believe He is going to get you through this.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig!

This is definitely the most intense virus i have ever encountered . I have been really lucky to only deal with the fatigue, but this fatigue is intense. I was for sure way sicker in the beginning of the virus, i was admitted to the Hospital due to high fever sore throat etc. then it pretty much just remained really tired to the point where even just doing a load of laundry is in sanely tiring.

• Posted

Hey Jessie,

Oh the fatigue with this thing really is awful, I do empathise and just really again want to encourage you and reassure you that it DOES get better and you will feel much better again with time. When I was in the midst of the horrible fatigue I couldn't ever see my body being able to cope with normal levels of activity again without suffering for it, but it's amazing how your body has powers of recovery and its resilience DOES return after your body gets to grips with this virus.....it just takes time unfortunately but you will get there and back to full health, I have faith in that and most definitely in my experience the first six months were BY FAR the worst and although it did take me a big longer to reach full recovery, the intensity did start to lessen after that.

I can only imagine how hard it must be to deal with this thing with five children Jessie, I do hope that you have good people / family around you that can be helping you and supporting you at this time and that you are able to get some periods of rest too, that's really important.

I was a similar age to you when I took the virus, about 25, I'm now 37 and absolutely want you to know that you will get back to full health with this. I know it was only down to God's help I got there as I struggled so badly with it. You will get there Jessie hang in there, there is hope and better times ahead!

Craig

• Posted

i am still going through the tiredness at month 11 i was doing better with it staying up later and then i guess i did too much and relapsed a few weeks ago so now back to being ready for bed at 6pm .

have you been tested for ebv/mono ?

• Posted

yes i tested positve in september.. i really hope this ends soon. im only 28 and i have 5 kids so resting is not too easy .

• Posted

Hey Lori,

Just a wee message to let you know still thinking about you today, hoping this can be a much better week and you are feeling more settled. And a reminder that God is with you and has got you firmly held, there is nothing to fear with Him on your side.

Thinking about you and just take things at the pace that's right for you just now.

Craig

• Posted

thanks craig a little better today but the weekend was horrific . wish i knew how to fix this mess ..

• Posted

Oh I know Lori it's so hard, I have been praying for you and yesterday also reminded me that I still have a way to go too with overcoming my issues. I started doing a little work for a friend and my back pain and panic and fears all started to come back and I just find it so frustrating and just want so much to be free of all that - and I know you're the same with this dreadful virus Lori. Let myself down with some of my actions and attitudes yesterday too, I know I need to do better.

Just praying for the Lord's mercy and wisdom and strength to get through this for both of us....

Craig

• Posted

I am writing a positive story about my daughter.. She is 14 years old, type 1 diabetic AND celiac so has already got a lot to deal with.. she is also a competitive swimmer who trains 6 days a week..

Last year she was diagnosed Mono with tonsilitus.. She was extremely poorly and in and out of hospital with respiratory problems on top of dangerously high sugar levels. She recovered and slowly started training again being very sensitive to all the conditions she already has to manage. This year she is back to training 6 days a week.. we take every day as it comes as we know the possibility of a relapse but I am thankful that it hasn't debilitated her as some others I have read about.

• Posted

Hey Lara,

Thanks for taking the time to share the story about your daughter, so pleased to hear that she is doing much better after what sounds like an awful time that she and you and your family must have went through.

Hoping very much that she can continue to get stronger and be well going forward to enjoy her youth - it is a great achievement to get back to a full training scheduled after this awful virus, definitely recognising that having went through a tough time with the virus myself in my mid 20s at a time when I was fit and well and doing a lot of running, and had to step completely back from that for a time during the virus. Grateful to God only for getting me through it, it really is a dreadful virus and hoping so much that is going to be a year of full recovery and blessings for your daughter and all your family!

Craig

• Posted

I am writing a positive story about my daughter.. She is 14 years old, type 1 diabetic AND celiac so has already got a lot to deal with.. she is also a competitive swimmer who trains 6 days a week..

Last year she was diagnosed Mono with tonsilitus.. She was extremely poorly and in and out of hospital with respiratory problems on top of dangerously high sugar levels. She recovered and slowly started training again being very sensitive to all the conditions she already has to manage. This year she is back to training 6 days a week.. we take every day as it comes as we know the possibility of a relapse but I am thankful that it hasn't debilitated her as some others I have read about.

• Posted

just curious, did anyone else experience awful headaches daily? between that and the tiredness, i feel defeated

• Posted

yes get the occasional one i think its due mainly to the stress of all this !

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

So sorry to hear about these headaches, headaches are an awful thing to deal with. It's hard for me to remember if this was a symptom I had as it was a long time ago, thankfully it wasn't one of the main symptoms that bothered me a lot anyway, but I have read a number of people on the site here talk about headaches with mono so definitely it can be a symptom and just hoping they settle down soon.

One herb that I've read is good for headaches is feverfew, I've taken it before just for nervous system really, things like that and chamomile, cayenne pepper can help sooth and calm the nervous system and help you get a better sleep too. But I know if you're already tired it might make you feel more tired. But maybe something worth looking into the feverfew anyway, and of course always check for any interactions with other conditions / medications before taking any new supplements / herbs.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.