Mono + Swollen tongue

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! New here, and trying to look for some proper answers.

My name is Coleton, and im 19 Male. But about 2 months ago (Dec 4th 2017) I was tested positive for mono, had all symptoms. Like sore throat, swollen tonsils, with white puss on them, tiredness etc.

Also a swollen tongue, so far, everything is gone (Tonsils still healing) but my tongue is still swollen for some reason, and im starting to think its something else that possibly could have tagged along with mono. Going on 2 months now with the swollen tongue. Seen multiple doctors, they said it all looks fine. Even though it isnt. Couple times a day, it feels dry, then goes back to regular feeling (Except still swollen) Does anybody have any possible explanations for this? Anything would be really useful 😊

PS got blood tested for thyroid issues (Came back negative)

Got tested for oral thrush

(Came back negative)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Coleton,

Sorry to hear you've been having this trouble with your tongue and tonsils with mono, it must be so frustrating for sure. Just want to reassure that this kind of time frame and symptoms can be and often is very normal with mono, it's just such a stubborn virus and it's after effects can take a number of months to get over unfortunately - however just to let you know that you will get better and get through it, the first 2-3 months is by far the worst and hopefully the intensity of what you're experiencing will settle down.

Things that helped me when going through it was taking vitamins and herbs, a good strong multi-vitamin per day made a difference, as did Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex (great for energy levels and calming nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and oregano (good for mouth and throat I believe).

It could be a secondary infection on top of the mono itself, but it may well be just the mono as I believe that's very common.

Thinking about you and remember you will fully get over this and back to full health without these problems again - hang in there and don't panic if it still takes a wee bit of time, because full recovery will come!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.