Monocular Double Vision after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone on here experienced double vision with just one eye after a cataract is removed ? Does it go away ? Is it a serious problem ?

I had one cararact, in my right eye removed in 2014. I've just (8 days ago) had the other one, in the left, weaker, eye, removed.

Vision is a little blurred but is significantly improved over what it was

I should explain this eye was highly myopic pre-surgery (-10 !!!) and the surgeon said they were aiming for an end result that would leave me slightly short sighted, because of the power of th elens they needed to insert !

On balance I reckoned that this was OK as after all i've been needing what looks like the end of a beer bottle for my spectacles up to now !

Everything seems OK, no pain, and yes i can see.

However, when i CLOSE my right eye and look at something such as the "fire exit" or "fire door keep closed" signs in the office using just my left, there is clearly a degree of double vision, a ghost image if you like, slightly up from and to the right of the real one, which makes the writing blurred....

So my questions

Will this go away, or am i in trouble here.

I have asked the clinic that did the op, they said "nothing to worry about". However, I recognised the voice of the woman who told me that. Back in 2014, when I had the other eye done, i rang after a week and a half because I'd noticed "something funny when i blinked". The same woman told me this was "nothing to worry about then". On that occasion, the retina had detached and I was left blissfully unawate of the danger I was in for three weeks ...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi John. I recently had both cataracts removed and I now have double vision in both eyes. The double vision, whether one eye or two, is attributed to astigmatism. Astigmatism can often  be unmasked or get slightly worse with cataract removal. Glasses should correct this, or as I was told, you can have LASIK to correct the astigmatism!  Bummer, I know.
    • Posted

Hi

Aha ! Thanks for this, I am indeed astigmatic in both eyes, to a small degree. The right eye surgery actually reduced this to the point it is now negligible but  I guess what I am now seeing in the left is a much less myopic image, and the astigmatism is all the more pronounced for it. Ah well, roll on my appointment with the optician onthe 10th August !!

• Posted

Is ghosting or double vision only with lettering on a screen or lighted? Or do you see same when looking at a book or other printed material?
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry I've been offline for a few days, the ghosting is not restricted to certain situations, as I type this there is a packet of salt from some fast food outlet on the desk and it is quite nicely shosted. So was the fire door exit label, funnily enough lit up signs are clearer to see, anthough clearly double. The warning lights that comeon when you turn the ignition key int he car, for example.

This only happens when I close my "good" eye, as soon as I open my right eye, the brain overrides the blurry image int he left witht he crystal clear one in the right. So I can drive a car, and a motorbike, but alas not a tank ... (or bulldozer)

• Posted

Appreciate your reply. Have you tried the pinhole test? Some sites mention punching a hole in paper or card and try looking at those lights. Often ghosting goes away when looking at the lettering then.

I had cataract surgery 14 days ago - other eye won't be done for another 4 weeks. I see a slight ghosting or soft highlighting around white lettering on black screen (PVR or TV - not iPhone) seems it occurs at certain distances. My eyes still healing and I have just one eye done / although when I close unoperated eye still see same . Something I will ask about when I see surgeon. I can clearly read the image so not sure what it is.

Must be annoying g to see it on multiple lights. Have you been told what it is?

• Posted

I haven't found out what's going on, unfortunately

All attempts to get an answer from professionals draw a blank.

I'll try that "pin test"

• Posted

it was a detached retina.

I rang the urgent help line as soon as the pupils returned to normal to report strange fluid in the corner of the eye. I was told this was nothing to worry about. I called a few days later to say this was soreading., I was again told this was nothing to worry about. On monday I shoulder charged my way into the eye uinit to say this problem had now covered half my eye's visyual field and they finally listened.

A doctor who saw me decided it was almost certainly a detachment, although the could not find the source. At the urgent surgery unit in cardiff a doctor doing the assessments, and then she surgeon himself, said exactly the same. The signs of a detachment were there to see, but the exact source was hidden, possibly by a floater. But here comes vitrectomy number two. No Idiot I said VITRECTOMY. On the EYE-ball .. ahem.

Sorry. Humoir a bit coarse when your eye feels Mike Tyson has had hsi way with it.

On the table the surgeon gave a brief cry of "aha !!" and explained at the very top of the area in which trouble can occur there was a tiny hole that had led to all the trouble, which is why they couldnlt see it with the slit lamp.

So, all sorted i hope now, I'm hone with this feeling my left eye is in a swimming pool but I've been here before and this time the damage was far less so the % age chance of it being fully sorted first time is much greater.

What can i do with the time off work ? fortunately the wife canlt have me redecorate the place as although the troublespot is high up so i don't have to be so worried about exact head positioning I must avoid looking UP so painting the top of the fenxce, pruning the hedge and painting the ceiling are all a no-no !!

• Posted

What a nightmare experience.  Can't believe how patient you were before insisting something was wrong.  

You're sense of humour no doubt kept you sane through all of this.  If not so awful I am sure more spouses would love to escape the honey-do chore list.  😂 

• Posted

Dear John

I had one cararact, in my right eye removed on 5 August 2017. i plan to operate my left eye also ,which is affeted by CATRACT but better than the right eye which i got operated.

Everything seems OK, no pain, and yes i can see.

However, when i CLOSE my left eye and look at something such as the "TV or "iphone" signs in the office using just my right eye, there is clearly a degree of double vision, a ghost image if you like, slightly up from  the real one, which makes the writing blurred.If both eyes are open than,double image is almost negligable.

Pictures looks to be ok no blur.

I am having Astigmatism and using TORIC IOL.I

I just want to know what is your status.Are u living with it or have been able to over come it.

I tried to use my old glasses and saw that double vision goes away when i wear it. i have been told that either glasses will sort out the problem or might me after some time it will be ok as still CATRACT surgery affects are vanishing slowly.

An response will be appreciated if possible.

• Posted

Hi

In my case now I think I can't offer you much help, except possibly to alarm you needlessly !!

My double vision, which started the instant the anaesthetic wore off and the pupil reacted to light, was CLEARLY related to the retinal detachment which must have started as soon as the operation finished, or very, very soon afterwards. The vitrectomy which removed the vitreous jelly from the rear of the eye, allowing the surgeon to cryogenically weld the retina back and then filling the eye with slightly pressurised intraocular gas to force the retina flat, and hold it dry until it scars, has COMPLETELY cured the monocular double vision.

My eye is currently filled with this gas, which makles it seem as if i am in a swimming pool, you can see through it but the vision through the gas is such as to make one very, VERY short sighted. When I look down, I can see clearly through a sort of "ring" of the gas, with the outer area of my oeripheral vision now workign as the gas has started to be absorbed into the blood and removed from the body, and saline / plasma replaces the vitreous jelly, and using my "peripheral" vision available outside the gas bubble, I can see, although the image is slightly blurred as the cataract surgeon warned me i would be left slightly short sighted by his operation, although nothing like as bas as i was.

What I can see of my peripheral vision, though blurred as I explain, which I will have to live with until I can see an optician and get new glasses, shows no sign of the double vision i had ...

• Posted

Thanks John for the input.I appreciate your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.