Monofocal IOL distance

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi l am 48 recently diagnosed with cataracts, they said l will need surgery in a year. l am thinking about what lens to go with, l am thinking about monofocal lens set for distance because thats the most common choice that most people are happy with . Are all monofocal lenses the same quality or are there better quality more expensive ones that give better vision then others? How far will l be able to see close up without glasses . Those of you that went with mono for distance are you happy with it, is your vision clear and sharp. Can you do most things without glasses , for example watching TV and driving ? do you have any problems without glasses such seeing the car dashboard instruments , or picking up objects or seeing the food on your plate or tripping over things.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good detailed replies. I will only add that if you have astigmatism you may want to look at a toric lens. Small up charge but eorth it or you will need glasses for all distances.

If you can experiment at all while your vision is still good with contact lenses to simulate monovision you could have one eye targeted for closer vision.

Wishing you all the best. Hard to get that diagnosis at 48.

• Posted

hi! I'm in a similar situation needing cataract surgery. What did you learn and what decision did you make for distance? (sadly for some reason I am unable to find the responses

• Posted

I had cataract surgery with monofocal IOL distance for both eyes. I did my left eye in mid-June and right eye in late June. My surgeon used ACRY Sof IQ Toric lenses. I had one month checkup on 7/28 and my vision is 20/20. I can see TV without glasses and drive. I can see the car dashboard and GPS without glasses, although it is not clear though. I can say no problem to read them, although it is not crystal clear. For computer and iphone, I can say "No". You cannot see the screens and read them without reading glasses, at least in my case. I tried to read emails on my 27" monitor (60cm - 1m distance) by increasing the font size. Although I could read it, it was not comfortable. So, I can say that you need reading or progressive glasses for computer and mobile device.

Let me summarize my surgery.

Positive things

• Cataract is removed, so no blurry vision.
    • No glasses is needed for long distance. For example, I can drive and run outside without glasses, although I cannot see my Apple Watch screen.
    • Astigmatism is corrected
    • Monofocal lens has been used quite for a while, so it seems to be a little bit safer than multifocal ones.

Negative things

• Need glasses for intermediate and short distance. Not even possible read anything near even you tried to bring something really close to your eyes. If you implant multifocal lens, you can theoretically see things from any distance.
    • Posted

Thanks, l am now pity sure l will be going with vivity so l can get intermeidate as well as distance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.