Mononucleosis and connection with other autoimmune diseases.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had Mono 5 months ago. It was not bad case in comparision in other cases. Doctor said that my immune system will be weak in a year after illness. But I googled some information about mono. It looks that it has connection with autoimmune diseases(especially MS). I'm little scared, that this illness can develope something serious in future. Do you have some information about that? What do you think?

Regards,

Peter

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Mono is an awful virus, I went through it many years ago and it took me several months to start to feel better and a while longer to get my full strength back again. I want to reassure you that the vast vast majority of people who take mono get fully over it and better, even when it takes a while to get there that can be normal and then it is equally normal to make a full recovery after time - your body just needs that time and space after going through this to recover. Please don't worry about MS or autoimmune illnesses or anything - these are very very unlikely and most people recover after time and their immune system gets strong and back to full health again.

Hoping you feel much better soon Peter and hang in there - God is the great healer, I know I need Him now more than ever in my own life and praying for your healing too in Jesus' name.

Craig

• Posted

try not to worry or stress right now about what could happen . you need to rest as much as possible . its a very common illness which many people recover from and it doesnt sound like you got it too bad . .

so rest eat healthy loads of water take supplements and you should be back to normal soon .

• Posted

Peter,

I completely understand your stress, as I've had moments like you where I was more worried about the future than the present.

Sure, it could be linked, but lots of things are linked to lots of things. If you are feeling better now, please get out there and live in the present! The best advise I received was, "Don't spend time on worst case scenarios. If you imagine the worst and it happens, you've lived it twice. If it doesn't happen, you've wasted too much time on stress."

Most likely, you have nothing to worry about. There are so many people that have had mono. My mom told me she had it when she was a youngster. She is 70 now and no autoimmune diseases.

• Posted

Definitely wise words Jen and Lori, thinking about you all and hang in there Peter, I believe you will get through this and back to full health again - just live in the present as Jen says is all any of us can do and keep trusting God.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.