Mononucleosis (GF) relapse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had been doing quite well the last month--after 6 months of trying to recover from mono (GF). Since I was feeling stronger, so I went on an overnight trip with my adult son.  We drove 4 hours away to see Grandpa.  I had a wonderful time on the trip.  It was great for me emotionally to get out and visit. However now I am extremely tired and feeling nauseated and upset all the time.  I have that fragile, panicky, weak, vulnerable feeling.  I know this is just mono but it feels horrible.  Guess  am having a mini mono set-back.  I feel like screaming for help, but I do not know what help I need.  I am thankful for this forum to be able to share my feelings.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Gerbear,

I am going through exactly the same thing. I had a relapse 1.5 weeks ago and my anxiety has been through the roof. Multiple panic attacks every day and a SEVERE one yesterday which i went to hospital for. I feel porous amd vulnerable and i have no control over my mental state. I don't understand why this is happening but i am extremely depressed and anxious right now. Im sorry if this brings you down further. Just want you to know you're not alone <3

I felt really good before this. The frustrating thing is that doctors dont understand the relation between epstein barr and mental health problems. I tried to go on anti depressants a few months ago but they made me feel suicidal. Now i feel like i desperately need help but im terrified to try any other medications. This is the worst i have ever felt. Its horrendous.

• Posted

I want to mention the week before this relapsw i had 4 days out of the house visiting friends and shopping and then my brother and his wife and kids came to visit. It was the first time I'd seen them all in 2 years because they'd been living overseas. The relapse started at tye end of their visit. I pushed myself way too hard that week but i didn't even realise at the time.

• Posted

I appreciate you sharing--I feel the same way about my family visits.  I even layed down several times a day but obviously that was not enough. My doctor has had me on Zoloft 100mg since February--I can't tell that it has helped. I also have Lorazepam to take as needed, that does help to relaxe me as long as I don't mind feeling sleepy and out of it.

i am back to just sitting on the couch all day and being totally unproductive.  Before this relapse, I was cooking dinner every night and even walking around our property with my dog(we own an acre) and doing a craft project.  Now I am so anxious that I just want to cry.

thanks for responding to me.

• Posted

I understand completely sad i too was cooking dinners and baking cakes. I wish there were something i could do to help because i so understand the pain. Will be thinking of you and hoping things begin to improve soon.

• Posted

I had mono a year ago and was very ill for several months. I slowly recoved but I still have set backs. I went out of town over the weekend for 1 day and have been exhausted ever since. I have no idea why it would strike me this much later, but the attacks seem to get further  apart. I try to rest as much as I can, but sometimes it seems like I will never recover. But I know I will, and so will you. I don't know why it takes so darn long. I try my best not to let fear take hold of me and panic, because that only makes things worse. I wish I had the answer or someone did. I believe we just have to continue taking care of ourselves and rest, take our supplements and hang in there. I love this forum. It has helped me through many times biggrin

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement.  It is hard when this virus knocks me back on my bum. I am again nauseated most of the time.  But I have to remember that "this too shall pass". I will rest until I get back to where I was on this road to recovery.  Glad you reminded me to take my supplements, I will get back to that even tho I am nauseated.  I don't feel well enough to go to the store, so I will ask my sister to bring me more vitamins.  My German Shepard has thrown up during the night the last 2 nights--don't know what is wrong with him. But cleaning it up at 2am is not helping me rest--ugh.

thanks for listening.  I don't want to complain to my friends because they do not understand why I am still sick.

• Posted

How interesting that I used to say "this too shall pass". It does but I still have to be vigilant to rest & take care of myself. You're right about friends not getting it. Hang in there. Hope you & your dog recover soon. I also have a Shepherd named Sugar smile

• Posted

Im curious. Do you feel like the anti depressants haven't helped at all? I've read posts of other people suffering with mono who also didn't feel the medication work. I saw my doctor today and we looked over some anti depressant options but i feel so hesitant after my last experience. My doctor prescribes me xanax which i really don't like taking but i do take half a tablet during bad episodes like this. How often do you take your lorazepam if you don't mind me asking? I hadn't used my xanax for three months before this relapse but i have needed to use it every day for the past 3 days. I am thankful for it but don't enjoy the sedative effect.. i already feel sedated all the time thanks to this virus!

I hope your dog is ok. I understand the stress of caring for others during this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.