mononucleosis symptoms ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am new to the forum. 40 y old male. Since two months I am having strange symptoms. Let me describe them. First I was literally knocked down by the illness. I was thinking it was my last moments since I ve never felt that bad. I was feeling very big fatigue, temp loss of apetite which came back few days later, moderate temperature 37,5 mainly in the evenings, zero energy. I got depressed + got heart palpitations. I felt very weak. It felt like a flu but not such big temperature. Lymph nodes started to pin pain especially in the armpits. They were not swollen. Night sweats of upper part till midchest of my body only and continues since 5 weeks everynight which worries me 😦 Liver and spleen were not swollen which was checked on USG scan. I got blood test which showed increased lymphocytes but not by much and liver ALT increased twice and EBV Igg and EBNA IGG antibodies over 300 , EBV IGM was ok. lyme disease westernblot negative, tuberculosis negative All other test were ok including chest RTG, USG of nodes, CRP was ok + other viruses checked including liver viruses, HIV were negative, erythrocyte sedimentation rate slightly increased to 14. One doc said not to worry that it was past EBV infection since IGM was ok it could have been long gone but the thing is I dont recall being such sick anytime earlier than last two months, another doc said such symptoms could be caused by mono since I got tested bit late when first symptoms started which IGM could drop. I visited also hematologist worried with night sweats but she calmed me down and she said USG scans were clean, clean abdominal USG, clean RTG plus blood test ok which didnt indicate a hematology problem for her. I m still having prescribed computer chest tomography but some docs say it is not needed when other tests were ok. I would like to stop the diagnosis and clam down but this symptoms remind me everyday and night recently that something is wrong.

Since the beginning until now I am feeling like I am having constant flu, sore throat, nodes + arm muscles pain especially in the arm pits like pin pains there and in the neck and back of my head, one ear pain, also arm and neck muscle aches, strange current like feeling in my legs occasionally, pain is mainly located in the upper chest causing trouble to breathe fully like 1/3 of breath is taken away, pain from the neck and muscles behind the neck, constant feeling i am sick 😦 Can this be mononucleosis ? When I get nervous ab something the symptoms increases. But I don't think it is psychosomatic. After two months I am having a bit more energy better appetite, but still all the symptoms minus temperature. It is hard to stand them. Please tell me are this night sweats normal symptom in mono ? I got antibiotic but it is not helping as the doc suspected infection...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hey Mark. I was 37 when all of that hit me. Had very very similar symptoms to you. Also had near fainting. I finally had to work with a natural pathic doctor because my regular MD didn’t know what to say.

after a long road of testing we have come up with chronic EBV in HHV-6 infections and Lyme disease. We had to test through a specialty lab for the lyme disease. Apparently the regular labs are not sensitive enough. If you can afford it, there’s a couple really good labs in the US and one in Germany. I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s the worst! I’ve never had so many tests and scans done in my life. hang in there.

• Posted

Do you recall what helped in your situation ? I probably have Lyme disease retested in better lab. I ll also repeat EBV Igg at first place to check if antibodies stay at same high level. Thank You for kind words and sharing your experience - it's much appreciated !

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Did the regular blood tests show Lyme disease in your blood, or did you send it to the specialized labs in either the US/Germany before it was uncovered? And what kind of treatment do you receive now?

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I didnt send to specialized lab. I got westernblot test in regular lab ( the test is said to be 80% accurate) as well as standard test and both were negative foe Lyme disease.

on the ther hand I got EBV IGG and CMV IGG antibidies over 300. And this is now my main concern.

I didnt have any special treatment since Lyme d was not discovered. Once I took unidox (doxycycline) for two weeks but nothing related with Lyme disease. Now since doc suspected bacterial infection I got another one which is also active against Lyme disease (got it for breath and lungs problem due to possible bacteria) but zero improvemen afte taking it. If that was Lyme I think symptoms should improve since both of above mentioned antibiotics (doxycycline and clarithromycin) are active for Lyme disease bacteria. On the ther hand I am more thinking it is more EBV related or cumulation of EBV and CMV which attacked me when my immune system was down due to stress. Thanks.

• Posted

update:

2month of mono (which is diagnosed as being most probable in my case based on EBV tests) and very little changes 😦

Question: could night sweats be one of the symptoms ? if yes how long did they last in your case ?

I am having them since 2 months and I am worried. They are less intense than before, still arm muscle aches, armpits discomfort (pin pain) neck stiffnes, collarbone discomfort, flu symptoms but w/o fever, got my neck glands lymph nodes scanned and except two being slightly enlarged but not inflamed nothing to worry from the scan. Recently I developed right ankle/joint pain.

This is really frustrating 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.