Monovision cataract surgery - results?

Posted , 7 users are following.

If you’ve had cataract surgery with monovision and monofocal lenses, what were your results like?  

**What diopters did each eye wind up at?  (if you know)

**And when do you need to use glasses?  Smart phone – computer – small vs. large print  – driving? 

Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've only had my right eye cataract surgery about 7 months ago with a monofocal toric IOL, my left eye doesn't need the surgery for years more so its a natural lens still.

My right eye target was for distance focus, and it ended up near PLANO power but with 1D residual astigmatism so uncorrected I get about 20/25 usually in that eye for distance vision.  I need to add glasses for closer focus work, computer monitor about 30" away I need to add about +1.0D and for smartphone use more like +1.5D.  For fine print reading I add +2.0D with glasses.

I still need glasses for my left eye anyway since it has 2D astigmatism, so my left eye just gets a thin lens for correcting its 1D astigmatism now (thats a lot better than the 3D astigmatism it had before surgery).  I use a progressive pair for general use that gets me distance and near focus, and I use a separate fixed focus pair for computer work with a fixed +1D added to my eye's Rx.  I also have a reading only pair with a fixed +2.25D for fine reading work, but in most cases the progressive pair works for that too.

• Posted

My left eye has only a very early stage cataract that doesn't affect my vision.  Eye doctors can see it, but they saw it in my right eye about 8 years before it started to affect vision, so I expect it will be years before my left eye is noticeably affected since currently it still corrects to 20/15 or better with excellent contrast sensitivity - so I don't want to risk surgery on the left eye until it needs it.

• Posted

I had cataract on both eyes and I went through the surgeries almost 3 months ago. My surgeon aimed for -1.0D with monofocal lenses for both eyes. I ended up with -1.0D (RE) and -1.5D(LE). I no longer need glasses for most of the day. I used to be very nearsighted for most of my life. I can see clearly on my smart phone about 16" away. No problem with computer screen that are much further away. For anything that's closer (such as when eating my food), I have a pair of +1.25D reader. I don't read much but I think I'll need the reader for extended reading. Regarding driving, I can drive comfortably during the day. But I might get a pair of glasses to try out to see if I can see the street signs from more far away. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome. At least much better than before the surgeries.

• Posted

Orkinman, do you know what your distance accuity (distance eyeglasses Rx) is now after your cataract surgeries with -1D and -1.5D?

Is it better than 20/40 to allow for legal driving without glasses?

• Posted

I have an appointment for my eye prescription check in Aug. But from my own test (I printed the eye chart from internet), I am about 20/40 (still a little fuzzy) for -1.5D and about 20/32 for -1.0D. I feel my vision changes from time to time although not by too much.
  • Posted

I had my surgery last December. They put in an AcrySof monofocal in the left eye with a power of 14.5 D and a 13.D  in the right eye. The left eye needed the surgery but the right could have waited.

After the surgery both eyes correct to better than 24/40 for driving. But I need a +1.25 correction in the right eye. I can't see anything close up (less than a foot) with the IOL's. So what I have ended up with is 3 pairs of glasses that I wear. Bifocals with the correction and a 2.75x magnification that I wear most of the time. Bifocals with a 3.5c magnification for close up sight and shaded bifocals with a 3.0 magnification for driving during the day.

Had I known what I know now I never would have had the surgery on the right eye until I really really needed it. I've adjusted and the sight in the left eye is much better, but sight in the right is much worse.

• Posted

That sounds frustrating.  Was the doctor trying to correct both eyes for distance, or were they trying to undercorrect one eye in a monovision strategy?

• Posted

Both eyes were corrected for distance.

I've gotten over the frustration and just carry around the thee pairs of specs...

• Posted

I had mine done 4 and 9 weeks ago. I had worn monovision contacts for 20 years. I havent been tested in my eye for far distance since one week post op and I was seeing 20/32. In my eye corrected for near I was J1 on a 1-10 scale with 1 being the best.

I don't need reading glasses except for very fine print (medicine bottles) and after dark I usually use them for my cell phone. My husband who had multifocal IOLs does the same.

• Posted

It's really not much different than my contacts. The only difference is that before with my "bare" eyes I could read at a distance of 6-8". Not anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.