Monovision or long distance lenses ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to hear from anyone who has the operation for cataracts and what is there experience .....are you happy with the results it wished the did the other option ?hiw clear can one see with monovision lens?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I choose long distance because I wanted to be able to drive without glasses.

I am delighted with my choice.

Before surgery, both eyes were way beyond 20\200.

After surgery, both eyes are 20\30!¡¡¡!

I need reading glasses, the 2.5 power

It has now been one year for both eyes.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I had a cataract operation five weeks ago my vision is now very clear I want to have my other eye done in the new year as it's difficult with one good eye and one not so good varifocal lenses now give me double vision and dizziness which isn't nice , good luck

• Posted

I had cataract surgery for my right eye in September and my left eye in October - one week apart. I suffered from exreme nearsightedness  -14 in right eye and -131/2 in left eye. Plus, I had astigmatism in both eyes. I had the Symfony lens inserted in both eyes. It corrected for the astigmatism, the nearsightness and, for reading. I love them!!  I can see to read, except for the small print on medicine bottles, etc. I now have 20/20 vision for distance and for reading!!! Amazing!! The only thing don't like are the rings around lights at night.They warned me of that, but I thought that I already saw rings, so it  would be no big deal. I am supposed to get used to them eventually and not notice them. I can still see well to drive at night, but it is a bit distracting. And, I do have to find my reading glasses to see really small print - just a +1.00. I could not opt for monovision as my prescription was too bad. If you were able to adjust when you were wearing glasses - one for distance, one for close up, you should be OK. But, I love my Symfony lens. I was not supposed to get to 20/20, and I was there the next day fter surgery!! The Symfony lens cost more, but it was worth it!

Hope that helps.

Cheryl

• Posted

I just turned 49 a few days ago. I first notice my vision was getting hazy about 2 1/2 years ago. I though it was a normal part of aging and went to a optometrist not an optamologist. My eyes were not dilated and I was prescribed bifocals. About 3 months ago I noticed during a headache that my right eye seemed to be looking through a fogged up piece of glass. Over the next few weeks I noticed it was only in very bright light. I Googled and was sure my congenital cataracts I was born with were the culprit even though I was always told they would never affect my vision.

I made an appointment with an optamologist and found out the congenital cataracts had not changed. In addition to those I now had posterior subcapular cataracks. They said they were more than likely caused by prednisone I was given for pneumonia.

I researched all my options and selected monovision. My weakest eye (right eye) had the worst cataract so it was operated on first on Nov ber 18t. I was fitted with a single focus lense for near vision. My vision in that eye was amazing the moment the lense went in. I had no anethesia only drops so I could see right away. I went from an eye glass lense that was the equivalent of coke bottle thick to nothing. I can read the tiniest print.

My left eye was done yesterday for distance and it is working perfectly as well. I was examined today both eyes see 20/20 in there own respect. I know in my near eye my distance vision is 20/50. I can read some larger print with my distance eye as well. When used together the overlap is seamless and I can see at all distances. I do not need glasses for anything.

I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.