Montelukast

Posted , 3 users are following.

anyone on here taking montelukast for CIU? how long dies it take to have an effect?

im on a 2 week trial with high dose fexofenadine and if the montelukast dont work i will be offered the injections

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take the combination of Singulair (montelukast)) and Allegra (fenofexidine) during flares, and find that the two relieve my uticarial itching fairly quickly, however, they have minimal to no effect on my angioedema. I've also found that the relief that I experience is always temporary during persistent flares.

If your flares are persistent as mine have been, with durations of 6 months or longer, and non-responsive to standard Western treatment, I would recommend that you consider Eastern medicine. I utilize both Eastern and Western medication and treatments, coupled with dietary changes, and have experienced consistent, long term relief.. I have suffered for 30 years. Good health to you!

• Posted

my current flare up is around 2 years, with the occasional day or 2 of relief, i found that avoiding wheat and dairy helped but this year it has got alot worse to the point it put me in hospital... my consultant insists its not food related so i am back eating what i want.

heat and stress arr big factors in mine, summer is a nightmare but winter it dies off a bit. i have an appointment in a few weeks to discuss the montelukast and if it does not work we are going to try the injection (omizulab i think)

• Posted

Ah, your flares are related to temperature. I've heard of such triggers, but, have never experienced them . My flares are triggered by food and stress. A year and a half ago, I became a vegan, eliminated grains and processed sugars, and I feel great

My allergist/immunologist also indicated that omizulab was an option for my treatment as well, during my last intense flare, but, I never progressed to that point.

One thing that my acupuncturist/herbalist recommends that I do for "the rest of" my life is boil and drink ginger and red onion teas (separately). Ginger is a natural anti-histimine and helps to regulate the mast cells. I would also recommend that you visit a local acupuncturist/herbalist in order to receive your own RX of personalized herbal treatments.

I wish you all of the best. I understand the frustration, discomfort, anxiety, embarrassment, and feelings of hopelessness that accompany chronic flares. I am proof that there is a light at the end if the tunnel.

• Posted

HI! I Have had Urticaria for a year now and have been taking Montelukast for 4 weeks and I have fount that the rash is a lot smaller and disappears faster hope this helps.Jo

• Posted

Hi, I'm glad to here montelukast is working for you. it did not work for me it made it worse. however I have had 2 treatments of xolair (omalizumab) and I have been hive free for over a month! I highly recommend it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.