Montelukast problems!

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all - my 6 year old has been on montelukast for just over a month. The first month was a dream - asthma symptoms cleared up straight away, she was happily going to bed at night. On Thursday i picked up her next prescription and opened this box the same day. From Friday to today she has been really aggressive at times and had horrible tantrums. I realised today the tablets were from a different manufacturer, my husbands convinces we should stop giving her the tablets. What is the likelyhood a different manufacturers tablets would give her different side effects? She is highly sensitive to medication. Thanks in advance

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So they say it is the exact same thing just from a different manufacturer, but from my understanding they just have to be within a certain range with the ingredients. So one may be on the higher end of the ingredient while the other is on the lower end.(If that makes sense.) I have had this same trouble with a different med. I would have your doctor write the prescription for the one you liked, with no substitutions and just stick with the one that worked. Best of Luck!

• Posted

Just wondering how your daughter is now?

My husband has has problems with generic tablets - they most definitely are not the same as the main brand. Pharmacies use them because they are cheaper - which often suggests that they are not exactly the same!

I notice the side effects of montelukast include depression, anger and things like that. If your daughter is no better mood wise than she was 5 weeks ago (when you posted) it might be wise to see your doctor to discuss something else but be aware that the pack does warn you not to stop this medication abruptly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.