month long pelvic/abdominal pain-PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past month, I have been experiencing a lot of random pains in my pelvic region and abdominal region. I am a 21 year old female, I am sexually active, but I take birth control pills (I have for 3 years now). Also, I am sure my partner has been "careful" everytime we have had sex, regardless of me being on birth control. My pain started about a month ago, and since then I have had my period- so I knocked pregnancy off the list of possiblities. (I think/hope...) (also 2 negative tests- one taken right before and one right after period) I would describe the pain as random, but reoccuring. Sometimes it is sharp, and sometimes it is dull. My thighs have also randomly felt numb most days. I noticed my last periods' cramps were extremly painful as well. My lower back pain has also become worse. The pain in my groin area/pelvic area almost feels numbing, or like something is tugging on it. (It is not hair, but it almost feels like it) (this mainly happens on the right side, but it happens on the left side as well) I also will randomly feel a fluttering/rumbling in my stomach. Occasionally, I feel a random burning sensation in my genital area. I went to the gyno yesterday, and she felt around and said everything felt fine. (I did not do a urine test, and have no gotten results from the STI tests yet) I mentioned that I have also been very constipated, and my gyno said all of this pain is 100% cause by constipation, but I do not know if that is totally true. I also have had a hard time passing gas most times I feel the urge to do so. I wanted my doctor to realize the pain started a few days before the constipation started, but she was still just sold on the fact it was constipation. My period is due sometime next week- it ranges from starting on Wednesday to Saturday the week I take the sugar pills on my birth control, I know that is a bit uncommon for someone who has been on it for a while, but I usually expect it during the later half of the week and it lasts 5 to 6 days. I also recently felt like I pulled a muscle in my stomach region (around the right of my belly button) while trying to put on a tight pair of skinny jeans on NYE, but the pain did not start showing up until 2 days ago. Thank you for any help you can give me! 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Let me add in - Even though I am constipated, I have been trying. Within the last four weeks, I have only had about six normal bowel movements. (Terrible, I know) I have also taken laxatives a few times, and they worked most of them. Even after having a normal one yesterday, and the few times before, I do not really feel "better" after it happens. I have tried laxatives, miralax, and an enema. All produced some type of bowel movement, but I am not trying to over-do it, unless I already have. I also have had a weird, tender when touched pain in the middle of my stomach, around the middle of where ribcages end. Also-my gyno felt my ovaries/uterus and said everything felt perfectly normal- another reason I ruled pregnancy out. (I also have not had sex since my last period) 

• Posted

I have similar symptoms to yours, I also feel like a pins and needles burning sensations in my groin area. I had a CT scan done ultrasound done no one can figure it out , I'm due to see the urologist Monday for blood in urine without bacteria. I can't figure out if it is uterus ovaries, Howell or bladder! Very frustrating!

• Posted

Hope you feel better! Did the doctor talk about endometriosis! Is when the period hurts and they are heavy ! Constipation won't cause all tha tuggin but every person is different

• Posted

Would the pain only be felt on your period? I am in constant pain. my periods have always been very heavy. I saw the gynecologist and he told me that here in the states they don't do the laparoscopy for pain, he prescribed lupron , I honestly don't know how I feel about taking that medicine. He is not convinced it is Endometriosis since I've only had the pain for two months and I am 44

• Posted

She did not, and I do not have family history of it- but I only think she didn't get that far into it because it felt as if she was rushing my appointment rolleyes Like I stated, I tried to speak to her about how the pain started before the constipation- but she only heard me say "constipation" and jumped to conclusions. I am not in a good situation because I go to college five hours away from my gyno at home, and I am returning to school tomorrow. 

• Posted

Are you now/have you ever been on any form of birth control? 
    • Posted

No, I am terrified about Lupron! I think it might b endometriosis but my gyno said it is not sure, if it is Lupron will take care of it. Can endometriosis act up all of a sudden? My pain sometimes radiates to thighs. And it is felt more on the lower left pelvis
    • Posted

Same! But I do not want to diagnose myself. But I have the same pain as you. But, I have been on birth control for almost 4 years now and do not know if it is likely to be diagnosed with endo while on birth control, because I have heard BC helps it, not causes it.
    • Posted

How long have you had this symptoms? I wish my gyno would do a laparoscopy instead of putting me in a forced menopause without being sure! My regular doc thinks I am too old to develop endo now. Plus I have been soooo bloated! You too?
    • Posted

Yes definitely feeling bloated, but mainly just around my periods and I also figured it was from my severe constipation
  • Posted

Have you asked about IBS?  I started with constipation and then abdominal pain followed by nausea and loose stools and back pain.  I was diagnosed with IBS.
    • Posted

No I did not, she kind of rushed through my appointment and I did not get to see my regular doctor while I am home on break rolleyes I don't have nausea, I don't really have loose stools...other than when I take laxatives, and yes I do have back pain. What does the pain in your stomach from IBS feel like?Is it hard for you to pass gas?

• Posted

I have had dull, deep grinding, stabbing and sore to touch pain with IBS.  Sometimes it is rather like period pain.  I pass gas quite easily, usually from the bowel.  Some people get mainly constipation or diarrhoea with IBS.  Others get a mixture of both.  Some get nausea and back pain.  But everyone is different.  I had both constipation and loose stools.

With endometriosis, you have heavy bleeding and pain during periods and often in between cycles.  Have you had a pelvic ultrasound or laparoscopy to check for this?

• Posted

Yesterday my gyno did the external check- where two fingers are interested and she pressed down on uterus/ovaries and said everything felt normal. I did not have a pelvic ultrasound or laparoscopy to check... I would have really appreciated it, and tried asking for one- but she rushed through it. I could always find a gynocologist by my college, but I won't get an appointment right away. I do not know if I would have endo though, because I am on birth control (have been for almost 4 years) and I have heard the pill is normally used to help endo...not cause it, right? (I have, however, always had heavy bleeding and pain regardless of being on the pill)

• Posted

Heavy bleeding can be caused by cysts or fibroids.  Has this ever been mentioned?  Maybe you should make an appointment with the gynocologist at your college to get a pelvic ultrasound and ease your worries.
    • Posted

when I first started birth control, I had "break through" bleeding that lasted 4 weeks and was HEAVY. I lost an insane amount of blood. After 4 weeks, I looked deathly. I went to the gyno who told me to immediatly go to the emergency room (I called 2 weeks earlier and they told me it was normal) I was hospitilized and given an internal ultrasound as well as an external one, and they told me the birth control had caused extra tissue in my uterus to push my uterus and that caused the bleeding (I was given a pill to stop the bleeding, which it did after 2 days) and then I started a different birth control pill that I was perfectly fine on for a year, until it stopped being made or my insurance gstopped carrying it (not sure) and I was put on the kind I have been on for like 3 years now. I feel like yesterday/any appointment earlier, my gyno would have felt cysts or fibroids...is it possible she could have felt that they are not there with her hands and without using an ultrasound? MAybe the problem I had with bleeding a few years ago is catching up to me and is causing me problems now? I even had heavy bleeding before being on birth control, I have had my period since I was 13.

• Posted

Maybe you should come off birth control to see if your problems calm down and let your hormones behave normally.  My brother, who is a doctor, told me that you should not mess with your hormones.  I think if your gnae rushed through your appoinment, maybe the manual examination missed something.  I would see someone else and push for a pelvic ultrasound.

• Posted

Did your brother mention what my problem right now could possibly be? Or could you ask? That would be such a great help
    • Posted

My brother would tell you to get a pelvic ultrasound to investigate the possibilities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.