Month trial of anti-depressant nearly over and still not feeling 'well'

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my medication upped to 30mg of Mirtazapine and things arent getting any better.

I am having daily panic attacks among many other things.  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Mirt worked for me from day one so I cant help you really.

It will be a case of going back to doctor and discuss options, there is no point going on with it if its not helping.

There are some people on this forum who are really good on mirt

Stay strongbiggrin

• Posted

Have you phoned your doc? Should of noticed some difference by now.
  • Posted

Hi leah

how was you on a lower dose? I tried 30 mg and felt really unwell.

It may be it's down to the dosage or it may not be the right AD for you. The hardest part of treatment is finding the right drug to treat your depression/anxiety. If I was you, I would pop back to the doctors and explain the symptoms your experiencing.

Wishing you better

god bless ♥♥

• Posted

I was on 15mg. I am not sleeping (which was why the dose was upped too) 

But before this I was on fluoxetine and before that citalopram. 

I have been clinically depressed since 15 

• Posted

Hi leah

Citalopram has some horrible withdrawal symptoms. It may be this that is causing the problem. I would give it another couple of weeks and see if things improve. When I switched from citalopram, I was having severe mood swings and anxiety which came on two weeks after completely stopping mirt and lasted a good few weeks. Upping the dose of mirt can make you feel a little worse for wear too. So you could have a treble combo going on eg. Withdrawals from cit plus adjusting to a new AD and then the increase of mirt.

It may just be a need to balance out and stabilise.

wishing you better x

• Posted

I was on citalopram in 2005 and changed to fluoxetine in 2014 then been on mirtazapine since.

I'm just fed up of it all now

• Posted

Hi leah

that's a long time to feel poorly . No wonder your fed up. When you switched to mirt was you on both fluoxetine and mirt for a short period of time? If so how long has it been since taking fluoxetine?

• Posted

2 years since taking fluoxetine, I was on it for 6 months then I 'took too many' :-/
  • Posted

Are you on anh other meds like a benzo.  I would go back ro the doctor.  I started at 15mg, then upped to 22.5 and then 30mg over  a 2.5 month period and now am tapering my way down again.  I am at 15mg for 4 days.  Mirt helped with sleep but not the anxiety which is why I also take clonazepam.  I get very adverse reactions with SSRI which is why they tried Remeron as no side effects.  It just does not work for me.  Good Luck!
    • Posted

Not on any other medications. 

My anxiety attacks are more frequent and the intrusive thouhts are becoming worse since my dose was upped?!

• Posted

Yes seemed like my anxiety got worse with the upped dose or Mirt for that matter.  Never ghelped with anxiety.  I would go back to the doctor ASP if thats an poinion.  I know the PDoc I see tight now its takes weeks.  So have tried working with my family doctor.
  • Posted

Most people with anxiety (like you?) are put on an SSRI AD rather than mirt.

Mirt seems better for depression than for anxiety.     

• Posted

I have clinical depression and anxiety disorder.

• Posted

Sorry, ignore that,  as I missed the fact that you have tried Citalopram and do suffer from depression.  

Perhaps you need a combination of mirt and SSRI. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.